Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Why Do Christians Fast? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Fast? (642 Views)

Why Do Christians Fast? / Why Do Christians Fast? / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 14, 2016
To chasten themselves:

Dan 10:2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

Here, Daniels way of mourning or chastising himself was by avoiding certain kinds of luxurious/pleasant foods.

God responds to it:

He sent His Angel:

V. 12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Scholar8200(m): 6:00pm On Nov 14, 2016
And when the flesh is chastened, the spirit is more in tune with things spiritual. It is not as though God delights in we starving ourselves, it's just a way of reaching out to God laying aside what might be an encumbrance.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 14, 2016
Scholar8200:
And when the flesh is chastened, the spirit is more in tune with things spiritual. It is not as though God delights in we starving ourselves, it's just a way of reaching out to God laying aside what might be an encumbrance.

True.

The flesh is like a veil that can grow into a brick wall at times. It has to be continually subdued / sacrificed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by HCpaul(m): 8:47pm On Nov 14, 2016
I respect the Christians fasting very much in the sense that it trains human to go without food for a given period of time with hope been their ultimate satisfaction.

Fasting is nothing but going without eating.

The difference between someone who dies of hunger and someone who went fasting is that the one who dies of hunger do so because of the absence of hope while the man that went fasting will live longer because of the hope he has.

If only the first man can cultivate that attitude of hoping even when he lacks, he will lives longer too.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by modusOperandi2: 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2016
Take away fasting and prayers from the life of a Christian, you've conquered such Christian.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by bigybanty02(m): 10:22pm On Nov 14, 2016
modusOperandi2:
Take away fasting and prayers from the life of a Christian, you've conquered such Christian.

Hmmm daz deep but very true.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by modusOperandi2: 10:38pm On Nov 14, 2016
bigybanty02:

Hmmm daz deep but very true.
Even Jesus The Christ couldn't display power until he fasted 40 days and nights!

He constantly renews this with steady fasting and praying in secluded places.

If we claim to be Christians, why are we not following Jesus's examples like the Mohammedians?

You see why Islam seems to have bragging rights while the atheists have field days poking fun at Christians?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by bigybanty02(m): 11:26pm On Nov 14, 2016
modusOperandi2:

Even Jesus The Christ couldn't display power until he fasted 40 days and nights!

He constantly renews this with steady fasting and praying in secluded places.

If we claim to be Christians, why are we not following Jesus's examples like the Mohammedians?

You see why Islam seems to have bragging rights while the atheists have field days poking fun at Christians?

Lol
Yea and that's the main reason why we must try our best to remain faithful with the help of the most high GOD.

Bro after my deep research on Christianity, I discovered many things that made me think twice about my life, I nearly renounced Christianity but thanks to nairaland soldiers of Christ lol ........... Meehnn to be a good and faithful Christian in this kind of sinful world is not easy to be sincere with you , but one thing I strongly believe is that ONE with GOD is MAJORITY
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by modusOperandi2: 1:27am On Nov 15, 2016
bigybanty02:

Lol
Yea and that's the main reason why we must try our best to remain faithful with the help of the most high GOD.

Bro after my deep research on Christianity, I discovered many things that made me think twice about my life, I nearly renounced Christianity but thanks to nairaland soldiers of Christ lol ........... Meehnn to be a good and faithful Christian in this kind of sinful world is not easy to be sincere with you , but one thing I strongly believe is that ONE with GOD is MAJORITY
True! I had to even off my browsers images from loading so I can have full visual control while on the internet.

To even imagine the audacity of atheists who submit their bodies and intellect to demons to water down faiths of baby Christians yet, acclaimed born again holy ghost filled Christians allow them free access to assault God and poke fun at spiritual truths as exemplified by seun the owner of nairaland.

I trust the Islamist to declare jihad on them.

Stay strong and gallant in the faith brother. Those demon infested atheists are too small to stand you and I talkless of The Great Unmoved Mover.

Thunder fire devil and all his goons!

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Is Coming Soon!!! / Pastor Tells Wife To Continue 'twerking And Grinding' / 7 Reasons Nigerians Are So Obsessed With Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.