Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,848 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible (1076 Views)

Video - Who Inherits The Earth? - Contradiction in JW Doctrine / Christians How Would You Deny This Blatant Contradiction / Bible "Contradiction" For Dummies: A Correction For Internet "Atheists" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by babz007(m): 10:34pm On Nov 15, 2016
When people criticize the Bible, they often point to contradictions. “The Bible says this here, but says the opposite over here!” This proves, they say, that this cannot be God’s book, it’s no different from any other human book with the usual errors and mistakes.
Usually it’s quite easy to show that these are only “seeming” contradictions. If we interpret God’s Word correctly, we will usually be able to show how both verses or passages are true.
However, sometimes it’s not so easy. Sometimes it’s very hard. Sometimes it looks almost impossible. One of these “impossible” passages is James 2:24, probably the biggest “contradiction” in the Bible. Let me state this problem as clearly as I can.
In at least three places in Romans alone the Apostle Paul says that we are saved by faith alone without works (Romans 3:20, 28; 5:1).
But when we turn to James 2:25 we read: A man is justified by works, and not by faith only (James 2:24).
The problem is obvious, isn’t it? Many verses in the Bible teach that we are justified by faith alone in Christ alone. But James says that faith alone without works is not enough
Re: The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by DoctorAlien(m): 10:48pm On Nov 15, 2016
Let's look at it this way:

A man was in a country regulated by laws. The man kills his fellow human being intentionally(which is against the laws of the country). The penalty for committing murder is execution. The man is tried and found guilty of murder, and sentenced to death by firing squad. Tell me, if the man starts(from the time he was sentenced to death) to obey all the laws of the country to the minutest detail, can that save him from the execution awaiting him? Can that make him just/no more guilty of murder?

If your answer to that question is "NO", then look again at Rom. 3:20, 28; 5:1. We are declared no longer guilty of the damnation that awaits us as lawbreakers, not by obeying the law, but by faith in the Substitute who suffered the penalty that was ours.

That said, if somebody volunteers to die for the man in my little story above, and the man is released from the prison, is he now free to continue breaking the law of the country, and maybe kill another person?
Re: The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by Thepasserby(m): 10:56pm On Nov 15, 2016
babz007:
When people criticize the Bible, they often point to contradictions. “The Bible says this here, but says the opposite over here!” This proves, they say, that this cannot be God’s book, it’s no different from any other human book with the usual errors and mistakes.
Usually it’s quite easy to show that these are only “seeming” contradictions. If we interpret God’s Word correctly, we will usually be able to show how both verses or passages are true.
However, sometimes it’s not so easy. Sometimes it’s very hard. Sometimes it looks almost impossible. One of these “impossible” passages is James 2:24, probably the biggest “contradiction” in the Bible. Let me state this problem as clearly as I can.
In at least three places in Romans alone the Apostle Paul says that we are saved by faith alone without works (Romans 3:20, 28; 5:1).
But when we turn to James 2:25 we read: A man is justified by works, and not by faith only (James 2:24).
The problem is obvious, isn’t it? Many verses in the Bible teach that we are justified by faith alone in Christ alone. But James says that faith alone without works is not enough

It's No contradiction. Faith has to be involved in a work to show that it is active. Faith is not synonymous to laziness. I will send a verse by verse exploration Maybe by tomorrow.
Re: The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by ScienceWatch: 2:37am On Jan 14, 2017
Actions speak louder than words. That is why it is best to examine action to avoid the mind-deadening arguments with atheists.

Jesus says to all pastors, Disciples, ministers and evangelists that humbly want spiritual enlightenment and power;
Joh 14:12 Truly, Truly, I say to you, He that believes me, the miracles/ WORKS that I do will you also do; and greater (more) miracles/WORKS than these shall you do; because I must soon go unto my Father.

Today, the world is blessed to have the evidence of Jesus’ WORKS Biblically and scientifically verified in the Holy Scoan Church Nigeria and on Emmanuel TV.

A pastor , minister, evangelist, pope, minister will be know by their WORKS so that fake pastors can be separated from the real pastors. The wheat is separated from the chaff.

Only the WORKS bear witness of a real pastor, not their elaborate speeches, conferences and motivational speeches. John 14:12

What are these WORKS that Jesus always refer to ?

They are the miracles, prophecy, signs and wonders. Jesus also instructs all pastors, ministers, evangelists to do the same. Jesus says to them,”As my father sent me, so send I you.”
Now the world finally have a free education channel 24 hours a day, seven days a week on Emmanuel TV demonstrating true scientifically verifiable evidence and deeper meaning of John 14:12
Re: The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by ScienceWatch: 2:41am On Jan 14, 2017
No one need waste time with so-called contradictions any longer. It is a waste of valuable time.

Focus on how and why Jesus did the WORKS while ministering to the needs of the people.

Jesus says to all pastors, Disciples, ministers and evangelists that humbly want spiritual enlightenment and power;
Joh 14:12 Truly, Truly, I say to you, He that believes me, the miracles/ WORKS that I do will you also do; and greater (more) miracles/WORKS than these shall you do; because I must soon go unto my Father.
Today, we are blessed to have the evidence of Jesus’ WORKS Biblically and scientifically verified in the Holy Scoan Church Nigeria and on Emmanuel TV.

A pastor, minister, evangelist, pope etc will be know by their WORKS so that fake pastors can be separated from the real pastors. The wheat is separated from the chaff.

Only the WORKS bear witness of a real pastor, pope, priest, minister not their elaborate speeches, conferences and motivational speeches. John 14:12

What are these WORKS that Jesus always refer to ?

They are the miracles, prophecy, signs and wonders. Jesus also instructs all pastors, ministers, evangelists to do the same. Jesus says to them,”As my father sent me, so send I you.”
Now the world finally have a free education channel 24 hours a day, seven days a week on Emmanuel TV demonstrating true scientifically verifiable evidence and deeper meaning of John 14:12
Re: The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by Gboyee4fun(m): 3:01am On Jan 14, 2017
babz007:

one thing you must first know as a Christian especially when it comes to the issue of contradiction is that, the bible was not meant to be read in chapter and verses, it was group into chapter and verses for easy reading but instead of the positive intention people are getting the negative one...
now read the book of romans and James neglecting the chapter and verses...(don't forget they are epistles, letters conveying a direct or indirect message) then your contradiction will be solved because they are both speaking from diff view addressing different challenges.

Shalom !!
Re: The Biggest Contradiction Of The Bible by Ifelove1(m): 3:32am On Jan 14, 2017
Brother read in context. Romans 3 was talking about salvation i.e believing in the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 10vs9-10). James 2 was talking to believers(who are saved) about their conduct, especially in the area of giving to the needy among them). From vs 14 to 16, he talks about a brother/sister who is hungry and is about to die and is being prayed for to be filled when there is food in your house. Of course the right thing to do will be to feed such a person with physical food. The verse placed a lot of emphasis on people who have believed acting out due to faith and doesn't say a man is SAVED(from sin) by works.

(1) (Reply)

Women Serves The Lord Better Than Men / Running heavenly race Vs Running earthly race photos / How Come Our So Called Miracle Pastors Have Not Healed These Guys???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.