Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,028 members, 7,849,154 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 03:23 PM

Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways (1459 Views)

Abimbola Jayeola Captain Of Bristow Helicopter That Ditched In Atlantic Ocean / We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / Virgin Atlantic Flight To Uk To Make Stop Over In Ghana Due to Fuel Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by Consultant(f): 4:13pm On Jan 05, 2007
God bless the minister for this. It is about time we make these airlines realize that Nigerians deserve to be treated with as much respect as the British or Americans, afterall they charge Africans more to fly than they charge anywhere else in the world. See below for story.

The Federal Government has warned Virgin Atlantic and British Airways for treating Nigerians on board their flights with contempt.
A statement from the office of the Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, states that the two airlines have been treating Nigerians with the “utmost contempt” when they are checking in and airborne.
It further explained that the minister had formally warned one of the airlines in the past over disgraceful treatment they meted out to some Nigerian passengers when the airlines were petitioned.
Fani-Kayode therefore warned the two airline operators that major sanctions would be meted to them should another complaint of maltreatment is reported to his office.
“Let it be understood clearly by all and sundry that Nigerians are not second class citizens and the Minister would not sit by and allow our people to be treated like animals by anybody or for any reason “.
He also advised that henceforth both carriers should offer better training and far more discipline to both their ground and air staff and encourage them to treat Nigerians with respect and decency just as they do to non-Nigerians.
In another development, Fani-Kayode also Approved, with immediate effect, the appointment of Mr. Akin Olukunle and Mr Supo Atobatole as General Managers (GM) Public Affairs for Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) respectively.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=67288
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by phoenixman: 5:56pm On Jan 05, 2007
Thats just HOT AIR!!!!
Nigeria need Int'l air traffic more than Int'l air traffic need Nigeria, thats just the truth.
If the threatened sanction was ever to be applied, the overseas airlines would just say that the Government was being high handed and threaten to withdraw service.
The Government would back off. That statement was meant to satisfy domestic complaints, nothing more. The Government is powerless to do anything.
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by LoverBwoy(m): 2:42pm On Jan 06, 2007
i agree

I dont really like all the empty threats just throwing his weight around, the other week he said lufthansa are avoiding taxes and operating illegal routes, if they are avoiding taxwhats the point of shouting in front of press men like they are the one to take action

Why cant he just ban them for a some months make them pay every single kobo they owe Nigeria, Fine them extra $100,000 for every month the flout the rules. If a Nigerian airline was doing this they wouldnt even hold a bloody press conference to make empty threats

The Government would back off. That statement was meant to satisfy domestic complaints, nothing more. The Government is powerless to do anything.

I actually think that the current statement is menat to satisfy a close associate wink Last month most flight within the U.K were cancelled because of fog most people got their baggage sent to them 3days later
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by Mariory(m): 1:37am On Jan 07, 2007
It's not hot air. BA have been suspended before and they lost a huge amount of revenue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6234675.stm
But British Airways says it is "very distressed" by the comments.

"We will be visiting the minister personally next week to address his concerns," a British Airways spokesperson told the BBC News website.
---
A spat between the Nigerian government under the former dictator Sani Abacha in 1997, led to BA's flights being suspended for several months, leading to huge losses for the airline.
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by LoverBwoy(m): 5:05am On Jan 07, 2007
it's hot Air by this dude! he cant do shit if he can he would have

anyway, i dont think an airline will purposely loose you bag just because your nigerian, but those that avoid taxes and fly illagl route lufthansa shouldnt be warned they should be banned and fined heavily!
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by Ndipe(m): 10:01am On Jan 07, 2007
Let Nigeria and other African countries join ranks together and focus on rejuvenating their own ailing (as in Nigeria's case) aviation industry. It is better that way, instead of succumbing to playing second fiddle to the west. So long as they keep doing so, then these insensitive airlines would be disposed to humiliating us at all costs.

What a shame!!
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by Orikinla(m): 9:08pm On Jan 07, 2007
Number one, I don't want Nigerians anywhere, on land, sea or air to accept insult from any white person.

Please. Please. Please.
Don't ever accept any rubbish from any foreign airline.

Next time they insult you, let me know.
Some foreign airline offices in Nigeria may suddenly become breaking news on the CNN, BBC and SKY.

We won't tolerate nonsense from any racist.

We can sack the BA and other racist airlines from Nigeria.

Thank God, no white bully can intimidate me or bluff me.
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by Jalal(m): 1:17pm On Jan 08, 2007
@ Orikinla, well said bro
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by English1(f): 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2007
It doesn't say how people are insulted or treated as second best. So it just sounds like hot air to me.

But maybe someone here has travelled with Virgin and not been treated well? What happened? Or maybe someone has travelled with Virgin and has been treated well.

Anyone with personal experience?
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by superman(m): 11:29pm On Jan 11, 2007
CLEVER!

WONDERwhy this one doesnt freak u out like the noise pollution in the church

yes cause ENGLISH 1 as always
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by English1(f): 3:17pm On Jan 12, 2007
Huh?

I'm only asking what has been happening to the passengers? 

Actually I've seen something about all this on an 'expat in Nigeria' (mostly foreign oil workers) forum I found the other day and I found all their comments about this very surprising.

I'm just interested in finding out if Nigerians really are treated differently, and how and why?
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by superman(m): 8:23pm On Jan 12, 2007
ok baby happy new year still
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by Consultant(f): 3:55am On Jan 13, 2007
Anyone with personal experience?

My brother and sister traveled to Nigeria on Virgin Atlantic. The leg from US to the UK was fantastic. Big plane, good service from the flight attendants, etc. On the leg from the UK to Nigeria, the flight attendants were rude, the plane was small and cramped and they didn't have ample space for hand luggage. There was also an incident a while ago of an airline (i'm not sure which one) spraying RAID after passengers were on board.
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by GNature(m): 3:58am On Jan 13, 2007
Consultant:

My brother and sister traveled to Nigeria on Virgin Atlantic. The leg from US to the UK was fantastic. Big plane, good service from the flight attendants, etc. On the leg from the UK to Nigeria, the flight attendants were rude, the plane was small and cramped and they didn't have ample space for hand luggage. There was also an incident a while ago of an airline (i'm not sure which one) spraying RAID after passengers were on board.

That's what happened to me the last time I visited Naija. The plane we took from the U.S. was nicer, newer and had more leg room than the KLM flight to Naija. The aircraft we took to naija was older and we were cramped into the plane.

So, I echo your sentiments my brother  cool
Re: Maltreatment: Fg Warns Virgin Atlantic, British Airways by LoverBwoy(m): 9:16pm On Jan 18, 2007
bit of exaggeration but its mostly true and ofcourse "normal"

Even the obvious was debated and argued to no shameful end as the Nigerian passengers basked in an ugly spat of babarism.  Of particular interest was a gentleman whose bags were over the weight limit, arguing veraciously with the attendant that they were within the 70-pound limitation. When they were weighted again, the least weight was 92 pounds, 22 pounds over the limit. In a bid to embarass him, the attendant "announced" this information to our hearing.  Even his hand luggage weighed 32 pounds when the limit was 10 pounds. With overwhelming evidence that convinced everyone else, he continued to argue until security was called to haul him aside to allow others to check-in. I saw him in a corner with his suitcases trying to rearrange the contents after he lost the battle with the attendant. I was curious and went to sit next to him watching as he tried the impossible. In one of the suitcases, I saw what was tantamount to Wal-Mart - toaster, mouthwash, hotplates, stereo, radios, speakers, cloths, dry fish (from US to Nigeria? For what?), laundry soap, picture frames, cordless phones, etc. All these were in one suitcase leaving one to wonder what could be in the others – perhaps, his house and car?  

Nigerian Travelers at JFK Airport

(1) (Reply)

Good Hotels And Guest Houses In Ikoyi Axis / Dv-2012 Usa Visa Lottery Starts Today / 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.