Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Pregnant And Unwed NYC Female Pastor Says She Refuses To Be Shamed Out - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pregnant And Unwed NYC Female Pastor Says She Refuses To Be Shamed Out (876 Views)

You Are Inside A Woman's Private Part - Female Pastor Tells Man / “Pastor Says Any Sex Position Apart From Missionary Style Is A Sin” – Lady / Penuel Mnguni: "I Was Tricked By TB Joshua In Nigeria" - Snake Pastor Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant And Unwed NYC Female Pastor Says She Refuses To Be Shamed Out by feedthenation(m): 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2016
[b]One of the chief criticisms of Christian culture is that it’s too judgmental. That sins are often ranked from ‘best to worst’ and judged accordingly.

So when Harlem, New York pastor Desiree Allen went public with her pregnancy and refused to stop preaching as a result of it, many commended her. Allen points out that male pastors often get women pregnant, but can continue to preach because their indiscretion can be hidden.

“After the initial shock was joy. Yet, underneath something else was lingering. Anger? No. Disappointment? No. It was pure and utter dread. Not at being pregnant. Not at whether or not I would be a good mother. What had my stomach turning, other than nausea, was me being pregnant AND a pastor. Let’s face it. The church has not had a good track record of accepting unmarried women who got pregnant. If you’ve been in church for any period of time you’ve heard or witnessed the aftermath. Shunning, slut shaming, being sat down from your position, having to go up in front of the church and confess your sin, etc. etc. No one can be naïve enough to say this type of stuff doesn’t happen in church. An ugly truth is people in church leadership have sex outside of marriage, affairs, do drugs, drink, so on and so forth. Generally, these are not considered acceptable acts. BUT I have seen many churches turn a blind eye to this behavior, because it can be hidden. Don’t ask. Don’t tell. To be pregnant is a very visible indication of a private act and for some reason provides people with more of a need to respond.”

Ultimately Allen decided that she could not continue living in a state of shame and condemnation.

“I realized I had some baggage and I wanted to deal with this pregnancy on my own terms regardless of how people felt or responded. In those first few months I decided I couldn’t carry the weight of others’ opinions and judgments including my own. I also had to confront the ways in which I judged others based on their decisions and actions. I decided I was going to walk with my head held high, because I was proud and excited to be pregnant. Often, when people think you’ve done something wrong or have sinned they want you to walk around with your head low in guilt. Otherwise, how would THEY know you were sorry? Well, I wasn’t sorry or ashamed. Shame and happiness cannot reside in the same place. I decided to only surround myself with those who had positive energy. I knew there would be rough days, but I also knew the good would outweigh the bad. So when the first comment was made about my pregnancy being an abomination I wasn’t bothered, because it wasn’t MY truth. Plus who uses abomination anyway? Can we say antiquated?

I had a choice on how to define my own happy and write my own story. I thought about the women who were belittled in their churches for being pregnant. The women who felt abortion was a better option than humiliation. The girl or young women of a pastor forced into abortion, because the family couldn’t handle the shame. The woman who left the church permanently because the members couldn’t accept her child. The woman who watched the same people who loved her each Sunday avoid her like a plague. The woman who would give up everything to be pregnant regardless of the circumstances and still finds her womb bare. So many women who may have made a different choice if they understood the power they had. If someone had told them, it was ok to make the best choice for them ignoring the outside voices. It would get better. They could outlive this. I understood what some people thought, what some scriptures said, but also the validity of my own experience.”

Allen’s church community ultimately surrounded and supported her, and she plans to continue preaching through the duration of the pregnancy, as well as after. [/b]

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/11/i-cannot-carry-your-judgment-pregnant-and-unwed-nyc-pastor-says-she-refuses-to-be-shamed-out-of-the-pulpit/
Re: Pregnant And Unwed NYC Female Pastor Says She Refuses To Be Shamed Out by feedthenation(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2016
Pastors and churches of nowadays!!!
Re: Pregnant And Unwed NYC Female Pastor Says She Refuses To Be Shamed Out by feedthenation(m): 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2016
https://notcinderella.com/desiree/

More info about the Lady Pastor
Re: Pregnant And Unwed NYC Female Pastor Says She Refuses To Be Shamed Out by aaccountable1: 12:56am On Nov 19, 2016
Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

but I seriously fail to understand what she is saying! can someone please summarise her essay for me?
where is genuine heartfelt repentance in all of this rant?
what a sad shame! she never really appreciated the meaning of her calling.

1Ti 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, IN PURITY.

What an example, what a role model for the younger women as she continues to preach with her protruding belly! saddening n astounding.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Atheist Your Attention Is Needed Here. / Exclusive Pictures From Tim Godfrey Fearless Concert / Tithing : A Scriptural Analysis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.