Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

10 Mistakes Candidates Are Making During Recruitment Process. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Mistakes Candidates Are Making During Recruitment Process. (726 Views)

Afritv Recruitment Process / NNPC Closes Application Portal, Announces Second Phase Of Recruitment Process / Zenith Bank Is In A Massive Recruitment Process. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Mistakes Candidates Are Making During Recruitment Process. by donogaga(m): 8:53am On Nov 19, 2016
As a recruiter, my goal is to find the right candidate for our jobs, but as well to make sure the job actually fits with our candidates needs.

With a few years of experience now and probably thousands of interviews, I spot a few current mistakes that really put off recruiters. Feel free to add to this list or to comment.

1) The candidate is actually not reachable:
This is the typical answer ; " you can call me anytime after 8.00 pm or during week-end". Well, we do understand that you might have a job, however when we really want something, we make ourselves available, can't we? As a candidate I remember taking calls on emergency stairs, or finding any excuses. Remember that while you are not making yourself available, other candidates are in the process.

2) Not understanding the scheduled time for the interview, cancelling last minute, coming late etc...
In an international recruitment process, your recruiter might be in another country, time zone. Always double check you are both on the same time zone.

3) The candidate does not understand the position he is applying for:
Typical answer ; "Well, I was waiting for you to give me more information". That is fine,  we are here to answer to your questions, however maybe it could be a good idea to know what job you might be doing here.

4) The candidate reads us the description of the company he found online, with no understanding:
Great, so now I know you are able to find a description on the internet. What we want to know is why you chose to apply to this company, why you think it is a great company for you.

5) Low level of energy, no passion:
Again maybe it is a bad day for you, maybe you have been to 10 other interviews today (really?), or maybe you are currently trying a new trash diet. However if we have to chose between someone able to share lot of energy and smiles, and someone who seems already bored to be here... Well...

6) Being over critical concerning your current/ past employer:
It is never a really good sign if talking about your current job, all you can say is how bad it is and how unfair the management is. Tip: focus on what you have learned and what you want next.

7) Being too personal:
As cool and sometimes informal an interview can be, no, it is not the right place to mention how drunk you were last night, or what is happening with your partner.

cool Lying:
Typical "Yes, I do speak French, it is just that I did not prepare this interview in French".

9) Having no questions:
How do you know if you want to work here? How do you know if this position is for you? Make sure you know what is important for you in your next job and that we actually provide it.

10) Being aggressive and defensive when we have the salary talk:
We do have budget for our open positions, so most of the time your current salary or your expectations will have no impact on the job offer. What we want to know here is if we can match.

Bonus: Spamming your recruiter for an answer. We know, it is long, it is stressful but it will not help to spam us.

Any mistake you may make during interviews, just remember that we already like you "on paper" otherwise you would not be here, so just show us that you really want this job and that it makes sense for your career.

https://www./10-mistakes-candidates-making-during-recruitment-process-sandy-laredo

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes Candidates Are Making During Recruitment Process. by breakingbad(m): 9:16am On Nov 19, 2016
11) believing nigerian government to provide job for you, a member of a "masses" level family

(1) (Reply)

Teachers Wanted At Our Training Academy Abuja / Who Else Got Mail From Africa Sales Academy? / Recruitment Consultant (over 10 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.