Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? (13027 Views)

Mention One Abbreviation You Still Don't Know The Meaning / What Is The Difference Between An Abbreviation And An Acronym? / The 'O' In The Abbreviation BODMAS Does Not Mean 'of'... See The Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by agrovick(m): 2:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
MzLarem:
Lol grin

Me i don't know about that ooo and unfortunately i dont 'garrit' cry
Hahaha! You didn't disappoint wink

I wasn't expecting you to say otherwise but I think I know the answer grin
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 2:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
MzLarem:
Lol grin

Me i don't know about that ooo and unfortunately i dont 'garrit' cry

The disappointment.....
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
agrovick:

Hahaha! You didn't disappoint wink

I wasn't expecting you to say otherwise but I think I know the answer grin
I'm noh lying cry
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:

The disappointment.....
Abi oo
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:

The disappointment.....
Abi oo
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 4:02pm On Nov 23, 2016
MzLarem:
Abi oo

As in ehn! Was waiting to hear "yes its phat". Would have been the first time I would be asking a girl out on NL. Quickly viewed ur profile sef.
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:

As in ehn! Was waiting to hear "yes its phat". Would have been the first time I would be asking a girl out on NL. Quickly viewed ur profile sef.
Lol grin

Expectations leads to disappointment tongue
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by pwettiejay(f): 4:37pm On Nov 23, 2016
Really?? grin
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by itsmine: 4:42pm On Nov 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

Two things, either you have a personal problem with the Aworis, or you really don't understand their origin as a people. The Aworis are Yorùbás. This is just the Gospel truth.

1. The Awori constitute the bulk of the indigenous population of seventeen, out of the twenty local government areas of Lagos State as at the year 2003. The exceptions being Epe, Ikorodu and Ibeju-Lekki with minimal Awori inhabitants.

2. Oro, Egungun, and Gelede festivals among the traditional Awori communities are celebrated as people celebrate modern Sallah and Christmas with indigenes trooping back home from far and near when dates are fixed. This tells you that most of the Yorùbá festivals, masquerades and cultures IN LAGOS are indeed the Aworis.

3. The Badagry area is important historically to Awori people because it is one of the first places to have had contact with the outside world. It was at Badagry town that Christianity was first preached in Nigeria in September 1842.

4. The english translation of “Awori” is “The Plate Sank”. This name was derived from the legend of a floating dish which Ogunfunminire (their ancestor) allegedly followed from Ile-Ife down to Isheri. It was the disappearance of the dish into a river that suggested settlement in the region.

5. The plate initially stopped near Olokemeji near present-day Abeokuta.After seventeen days, it began moving only to stop at Oke-Ata for another seventeen days. At the end of seventeen days, the plate began moving again, only to stop again on the southern outskirts of present-day Abeokuta, where it stayed for another seventeen days. The plate continued downriver, stopping again at Isheri, where it remained for a much longer period of time. After 289 days (17 x 17) the plate began moving again. The plate stopped finally at at Iddo in central Lagos, it whirled around in the water and sank to the bottom
http://enroute.ng/uncategorized/facts-about-the-awori-people/

Most of these information are not new to me. However, I needed to post this to let you know. I was privy to a handful of them in the late 90s. I'm sure tons of articles litter the cyber space now.
Intelligent!
a reason nairaland is still on top d hierarchy.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by agrovick(m): 4:59pm On Nov 23, 2016
MzLarem:
I'm noh lying cry

I never said you were tongue

Time to focus on the history been served on the thread, you've distracted me enough lipsrsealed
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 23, 2016
agrovick:

I never said you were tongue

Time to focus on the history been served on the thread, you've distracted me enough lipsrsealed
Lol. Enjoy.
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by paranorman(m): 5:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
MzLarem:
Says who?

Awori is so Yoruba and i know cos thats where i'm frm.
Hello, miss Awori. grin grin
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 23, 2016
paranorman:
Hello, miss Awori. grin grin
hi, mr ??
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by paranorman(m): 6:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
MzLarem:
hi, mr ??
Peace be unto you. smiley
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 23, 2016
paranorman:
Peace be unto you. smiley
And unto you too.
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 23, 2016
Why una come turn this thread to dating zone angry
Oya clear jorr angry
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by prof800(m): 8:07pm On Nov 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

LOL... So you actually believed that? What is the relationship of Epe with core parts of Lagos? Epe that is on the outskirt and almost in Ogun state.

I haven't really thought about it before though but I know Alausa used to be 'Abúlé Jogunosinmi', which later changed to 'Abúlé Tapa' and much later to 'Alausa', due to the influx of the Hausas. Unfortunately, our poor record keeping culture would be a primary reason why the name Ikeja may not really move us since its origin is unknown to almost all Lagosians.

IKEJA is said to be named after an Awori hunter known as Akeja Onigorun. He was a successful hunter who was celebrated within the Awori clan of the Yoruba people, hence the present name Ikeja the state government seat of Lagos. This is just one of the many stories backing the origin however, no octogenarian or historian till tomorrow has been able to come on TV to explain the name. Again, it goes ahead to show how bad we are at keeping records as a people.
This is very disheartening. sad
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by jasysandra(f): 10:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
Thank you OP
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2016
I see u joycesims
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by joycesims(f): 10:34pm On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:
I see u joycesims
lol, who are you?
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 10:43pm On Nov 23, 2016
joycesims:

lol, who are you?

Ur future
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by joycesims(f): 11:13pm On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:

Ur future
so I'm gonn' be a man, very good!
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 11:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
joycesims:

so I'm gonn' be a man, very good!

lol, part of it I guess
And I know who u are Jocelyn
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by udede(m): 2:27am On Nov 24, 2016
just like lagos mean ' Love All Girls On Saturday
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by joycesims(f): 8:16am On Nov 24, 2016
martyns303:

lol, part of it I guess And I know who u are Jocelyn
You do? gimme a hint!
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by chiefojiji(m): 9:03am On Nov 24, 2016
dreamwords:
Awori is not Yoruba, that's d fact

u r a bit high!
what are they then?
Americans or Igbo

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by porshuch: 9:18am On Nov 24, 2016
dreamwords:

Awori is not Yoruba, that's d fact
I bu ike, aworis are yoruba, just like you have abakiliki in the east. Pls stop exposing your ignorance.
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 24, 2016
Sanchez01:

LOL... So you actually believed that? What is the relationship of Epe with core parts of Lagos? Epe that is on the outskirt and almost in Ogun state.

I haven't really thought about it before though but I know Alausa used to be 'Abúlé Jogunosinmi', which later changed to 'Abúlé Tapa' and much later to 'Alausa', due to the influx of the Hausas. Unfortunately, our poor record keeping culture would be a primary reason why the name Ikeja may not really move us since its origin is unknown to almost all Lagosians.

IKEJA is said to be named after an Awori hunter known as Akeja Onigorun. He was a successful hunter who was celebrated within the Awori clan of the Yoruba people, hence the present name Ikeja the state government seat of Lagos. This is just one of the many stories backing the origin however, no octogenarian or historian till tomorrow has been able to come on TV to explain the name. Again, it goes ahead to show how bad we are at keeping records as a people.

bros suffery dey spread misinformation Na....

Alausa is mispronounced to mean Hausa people.

it is actually pronounced with a lot of stress on the words like Yoruba names. Alausa is a Yoruba word.
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Sanchez01: 4:19pm On Nov 24, 2016
Joavid:

bros suffery dey spread misinformation Na....

Alausa is mispronounced to mean Hausa people.

it is actually pronounced with a lot of stress on the words like Yoruba names. Alausa is a Yoruba word.
I'm really tired going back and forth with this. for the umpteenth time, the Yoruba language is a tonal language and it is very easy to distort a word or its meaning using Yoruba.

Search through the thread and quit dragging me back, please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BVN: University Of Nigeria Nsukka Requires Bank Verification Number For Registra / Lecturers Promise To End Sexual Harassment & Extortion Of Students On Campuses / "A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.