Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,005 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones (641 Views)

Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by ogatechy: 8:24am On Nov 23, 2016
You probably already know that your connected device – smartphone, tablet, or PC – is full of holes through which anyone with enough time, cash and skills can hack in to eavesdrop on you. Your smartphone or PC camera can be remotely activated without you being aware. The same thing goes for the microphone on your phone. Your Contacts, text messages and emails are constant being read and uploaded to the cloud by software (and so can be read by humans who want it badly enough). Now, even audio headphones plugged into your laptop can be used to eavesdrop on you.
A team of researchers at Ben Gurion University in Israel have demonstrated how malware can be used to trigger your headphones’ speakers into acting as a microphone to listen in on you. The software they created is called “Speake(a)r”. The idea is that even with the microphone on your PC/laptop disabled or removed, as long as you use a headphone, you can still be eavesdropped on.
What’s to fear with the addition of just one more privacy loophole? Bah. Don’t give yourself high blood pressure over it. We wish the world was different and that these sort of things don’t exist. But it is the world that we chose. We opted for always-on internet and free apps/services and gave out our privacy and security. So, we man up and deal with it.
If You Really Need Privacy
I am no digital security expert, but there are a few basic steps you can take to secure yourself digitally. If you really, really need to have a secure environment for a delicate conversation (you know, like in spy movies), there are things you can do, like:
1.turn off the internet
2.stick to using a good old no-internet feature phone instead of a modern smartphone
3.switch off your phone and remove the battery (sorry if you own a phone with a non-removable battery)
4.cover up the camera lens on your laptop/tablet/smartphone
5.disable/remove the microphone on your laptop
6.do not hand over your smartphone unmonitored to a 3rd party; they can install and activate a spy app on it in a matter of moments
7.lastly, do not plug in a set of headphones
Preferably, do all of the above together. Implementing only one or two likely won’t do
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by Iphone5: 8:28am On Nov 23, 2016
undecided

Why would they be spying on me, what's their gain?
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by lomprico(m): 8:28am On Nov 23, 2016
Thats why we cant divorce blackberry! Most secure device in d world. Team BlackBerry.
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by ogatechy: 8:33am On Nov 23, 2016
lomprico:
Thats why we cant divorce blackberry! Most secure device in d world. Team BlackBerry.
blackberry Not Really, Why Not Try Thuraya,
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by Youngpo413: 9:23am On Nov 23, 2016
Spy indeed.
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by lomprico(m): 10:43am On Nov 23, 2016
ogatechy:
blackberry Not Really, Why Not Try Thuraya,
Wire me 210k na
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by ogatechy: 4:11pm On Nov 23, 2016
lomprico:

Wire me 210k na
Lol!
Re: Everything Can Be Used To Spy On You, Including Headphones by Techm8: 12:43am On Nov 24, 2016
Aliens are tracking my every move, what do I do?

(1) (Reply)

Asus Zenfone Pegasus 3S Launched With A 5,000mah Battery / Help! My Phone Is Always Downloading All Files / Where To Buy Battery For Opsson D3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.