Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. (1054 Views)

Lady Calls Out UBA After An ATM Dispensed Two Fake N1k Notes To Her In Rivers St / The Sunday Is Not Fun: I Feel Like Sharing Money Here. / Gt Bank Scam Me 930,000 Without Alert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by ableguy(m): 12:33am On Nov 24, 2016
I asked this question because my bank (GT bank) debited me 1k, no alert or any notification.

I noticed that after I recharged my phone and they sent a message that shows the transaction was successful. That was how I got to know my 1k is missing.

I was very sure because I left that small amount in that account for a particular purpose and haven't touched it, I was annoyed and went to the bank only for them to confirm it and that it was for my ATM card renewal.

I requested for a reversal because I don't think I need the card for now, they told me it can't be reversed..
After wasting for like an hour in their que waiting for customer care, they started telling me if I don't want it after some time they will discard it and there will be no refund or any reversal.
I had to grudgingly collect the card.

My question is : is it compulsory I must use an ATM card? Must they force it on me?

Again do they have the right to take my money without my consent? Just because they have access to the account? How am I sure they haven't been doing it and never noticed?

Is it not fraud?
I am pissed off, I used to encourage people to open account with them that their services are good.
I am disappointed in them.
Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by kingphilip(m): 1:15am On Nov 24, 2016
What I usually do now while opening an account is not to tick the type of card I'll like to get so as to avoid any of these complaints and it seems there's no longer charges on counter withdrawals hence I'll ever stick to that unless for the queue though

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by ableguy(m): 1:24am On Nov 24, 2016
kingphilip:
What I usually do now while opening an account is not to tick the type of card I'll like to get so as to avoid any of these complaints and it seems there's no longer charges on counter withdrawals hence I'll ever stick to that unless for the queue though

I was on the queue because I have to Lodge a complaint to the customer care , people were there before me.
Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by evalina: 2:04am On Nov 24, 2016
Its more lucrative for the banks if you peacefully go to the ATM and take your money yourself.
They have less queues in the banking hall when you have an ATM card in your hand.
Besides the branches have target for all these things so someone needed to force it on you to keep their jobs

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by ableguy(m): 8:23am On Nov 24, 2016
evalina:
Its more lucrative for the banks if you peacefully go to the ATM and take your money yourself.
They have less queues in the banking hall when you have an ATM card in your hand.
Besides the branches have target for all these things so someone needed to force it on you to keep their jobs

But it's unfair, it doesn't in any way justify what they did. My problem is debiting me for a service I may not even be interested in, if I have my way I'll sue them.
Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by Michael707: 9:32am On Nov 24, 2016
ableguy:
I asked this question because my bank (GT bank) debited me 1k, no alert or any notification.
I noticed that after I recharged my phone and they sent a message that shows the transaction was successful. That was how I got to know my 1k is missing.
I was very sure because I left that small amount in that account for a particular purpose and haven't touched it, I was annoyed and went to the bank only for them to confirm it and that it was for my ATM card renewal.
I requested for a reversal because I don't think I need the card for now, they told me it can't be reversed..
After wasting for like an hour in their que waiting for customer care, they started telling me if I don't want it after some time they will discard it and there will be no refund or any reversal.
I had to grudgingly collect the card.
My question is : is it compulsory I must use an ATM card? Must they force it on me?
Again do they have the right to take my money without my consent? Just because they have access to the account? How am I sure they haven't been doing it and never noticed?
Is it not fraud?
I am pissed off, I used to encourage people to open account with them that their services are good.
I am disappointed in them.
One of the banks in Nigeria that will not fraudulently deduct money from your bank account is Union Bank. I can guarantee you that Union Bank will never deduct any unsolicited money from your account .You will even get a free debit card if you reactivate with Union Bank account.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by ableguy(m): 9:38am On Nov 24, 2016
Michael707:

I think some banks in Nigeria are fund of this scrupulous act of deducting money from innocent customer accounts. I can guarantee you that Union Bank will never deduct any unsolicited money from your account .

It was so painful because I left that money there for a reason, it's fraud na. They couldn't even inform the owner of such deductions. If I have my way I'll sue them
Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by MrEverest(m): 10:14pm On Nov 24, 2016
They did it to me & collected 1050 inclusive of vat. Its a very annoying and crooked thing to do to your customers, is not everyone that needs ATM card, so making it auto renewal is wrong. Consumer protection council should look into this matter.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory One Must Use An ATM Card? I Feel Like Suing GT Bank. by ableguy(m): 9:15am On Nov 25, 2016
MrEverest:
They did it to me & collected 1050 inclusive of vat. Its a very annoying and crooked thing to do to your customers, is not everyone that needs ATM card, so making it auto renewal is wrong. Consumer protection council should look into this matter.

My brother I dey tell you. it's fraud

(1) (Reply)

Scholarship Program In China / Urgent Recruitment For OND Candidates / Why You Should Consider Www.nairaswipe.com As Your Best Fit Exchange In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.