Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts (19856 Views)

Allen Onyema: U.S. Seizes $14 Million In Bank Accounts Linked To Air Peace Boss / GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares / Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by agwom(m): 6:08am On Nov 28, 2016
The total number of inactive bank accounts in Nigeria stand at 30.26 million despite efforts by banks to retain old customers and attract new ones.

The accounts, activated by commercial banks for new holders but later abandoned to dormancy by the customers now constitute 32.42 per cent of the total 94.388 million activated bank accounts in the country.

Consequently, only 64.128 million accounts that represent 68.7 per cent of the total activated accounts domiciled in commercial banks are functional.

According to the latest industry statistics obtained by Daily Trust from the Nigerian Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) Plc over the weekend, the growing wave of new, active and dormant accounts across savings and currents account types in the country has been progressively steady.

Giving the year-to-date (YTD) analysis of the latest report up till October this year, NIBSS indicated that a total of 4.13 million accounts have become dormant within the period, jacking up dormant account base to the current figure from 26.042 million it stood at the end Q4, 2015.

NIBSS further stated that from a figure of 85.018 million accounts in December 2105, total account base in the country has grown by 11.02 per cent as 9.37 million new accounts were activated within the period.

In its breakdown, 30.063 million, 2.896 million and 2.365 million new accounts came on board in Q1, Q2 and Q3 2016 respectively, while in October, the figure maintained the upward momentum by 1.12 per cent as 1.046 million new accounts were recorded in the month alone.

Meanwhile, further analysis data revealed savings accounts as constituting the largest chunk of the total activated bank accounts as it stood at 66.255 million while current accounts are just 25.58 million.

Experts have also warned that Nigerians, who make use of dormant bank accounts, should not throw caution to the wind as the account might generate debt.

A customer, who preferred not to be named, recounted her ordeal with one of Nigeria’s leading banks, saying “My dormant bank account generated a debt which kept growing overtime, so, one must be careful.”

According to Investopedia, a dormant account has had no activity for a long period of time, other than posting interest and a statute of limitations usually does not apply to it, so funds can be claimed by the owner or beneficiary at any time.

However, it will be recalled that until a new dormant account management policy was released by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) late in 2015, commercial banks in Nigeria have always converted customers’ money in dormant accounts from liabilities to income of the banks. While the apex bank put an end to this standard by also directing banks to reverse such conversion of customers’ money made five years before the 2015 policy which was in favour of account holders, analysts said this must have also contributed to the growing rate of dormant accounts.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/nigerians-abandon-30m-bank-accounts/173512.html#f2r5GUdO8fr6mPY8.99

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by LordIsaac(m): 6:10am On Nov 28, 2016
Madness!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by tolugar: 6:11am On Nov 28, 2016
Only me abandon 3

UBA

Access

GTB

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by UrennaNkoli(f): 6:12am On Nov 28, 2016
When you don't treat customers right, na to leave you to your wahala enjoy your wahala by yourself.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by possibilita(m): 6:40am On Nov 28, 2016
How do you expect to retain customers when you steal from them? Imagine first bank will keep deducting 200 from someone account every month, banks are supposed to be serving us not the other way around

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by veekid(m): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2016

who cares?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by herzernIsHere: 8:06am On Nov 28, 2016
My UBA bank account though.....

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by AdemolaA2: 8:07am On Nov 28, 2016
.well, interest rate on bank deposits .. zero , assistance with bank loan and what have you ... zero , customer care rep.. attitude ..zero , unnecessary bank charges on withdrawals , stamps , transfers and so on , 100 dollars foreign limit withdrawals /offshore withdrawals , zero ... killing interest rate on mortgage ... and so on ... what do you expect Mr CBN governor?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by sanandreas(m): 8:07am On Nov 28, 2016
I dropped two. They won't stop sending me messages.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by KingRex1(m): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2016
MMM

32 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by badaoyeyemi(f): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2016
D way am planning to abandon ma UBA acct....I dash them the 1k wey dey dere.... grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by zuby4real10(m): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2016
who get money to put in bank for this kind recession?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by Donlamzy(m): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2016
That was how I forgot I have 250,000 naira in my Gtb account, anyway they should use it for charity, I have more Dan enough grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by francisbarrack(m): 8:09am On Nov 28, 2016
possibilita:
How do you expect to retain customers when you steal from them? Imagine first bank will keep deducting 200 from someone account every month, banks are supposed to be serving us not the other way around

First bank tired me ooo. They r theif

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by TheSCRYPT: 8:09am On Nov 28, 2016
I hope una count my Diamond bank account join. Useless bank be debiting me anyhow that year when N5 was important to survival. Imagine removing N5 from an account that's supposed to make it 1k. Smh angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by soberdrunk(m): 8:09am On Nov 28, 2016
As people nor see money put for the account nko? Them go put blood? angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by allanphash7(m): 8:10am On Nov 28, 2016
Your dreams are possible, don't let anyone's negative opinion about u and ur dreams become ur reality. When one is hungry for greatness, he or she will fight for it with all tenacity and sagacity and won't give up till u win it ! Go all out for ur dreams , learn if u have to learn , change some attitude or strategy if that's all u gat to do . Don't waste anything , not even ur time. Time can not be save , but u can save out of what you use ur time to achieve. Get hungry.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by efilefun(m): 8:10am On Nov 28, 2016
My wema bank account should be on crutches by now, Dead bank!!!

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by massinola(m): 8:11am On Nov 28, 2016
they ain't seen nothing yet. they have got the big one hitting them soon. Nigeria banks are thieves. all they do is deduct, deduct and deduct, no addition. I opened a thread two days ago about the fraudulent activities of Nigeria banks, especially first bank. my 1105 naira is still with them up till this moment.
just put 1k into your account and leave it for three months. you will meet 520 after that with 3naira interest added. useless set of people. how I wish money be like soft copy wey person fit save for flash or email. I de craze make I carry my money enter bank?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by Mutuwa(m): 8:11am On Nov 28, 2016
efilefun:

hahahah.. My bank during nysc more than 5 years ago.yet they still send SMS to me

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by caring619: 8:12am On Nov 28, 2016
saving money @home seem better than saving my money in banks like ECO AND FIDELITY.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by coalcoal1(m): 8:12am On Nov 28, 2016
hian
Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by martineverest(m): 8:13am On Nov 28, 2016
some owners might be dead

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by johnstar(m): 8:13am On Nov 28, 2016
I dey among

Na thunder go fire firstbank bank

Dm go juz dey deduct money for my acct say na alert and token charges

Una never see anytn

I don put my money inside mmm make it dey der dey increase grin

19 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by mdokaba1(m): 8:13am On Nov 28, 2016
Its that simple, the account holders have ported to other banks.

I do have an account with access bank and one other bank, but have not operated it in the last 7 years. So am so sure, the 30million plus are made up of my likes.

Trust Nigerians and multiple accounts syndrome, just like mobile phones.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by sakalisis(m): 8:14am On Nov 28, 2016
Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by Mexyz(m): 8:15am On Nov 28, 2016
My 2 accounts with Diamond and Ecobank has been abandoned since na..
Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by junketer(m): 8:15am On Nov 28, 2016
efilefun:

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by marvelife: 8:16am On Nov 28, 2016
MMM

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by nurez305(m): 8:16am On Nov 28, 2016
Because you force those people on the street to open account which now make people earning Below minimum wages to have like 7 bank account... abeg how the person wan finance it

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by eph12(m): 8:17am On Nov 28, 2016
Una never see anything. Who una epp?

I don't need more than one account for mmm and bitcoin embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abandon 30m Bank Accounts by MightyThor(m): 8:17am On Nov 28, 2016
okay not too surprised at that.

Personally I have like four abandoned accounts. As I move jobs the new company insist on opening a salary account with their preferred bank. (Wetin concern me? as long as you pay me my money as at when due) so those that move jobs a lot then to accumulate bank accounts a lot.

Also silly customer care people and difficult bank rules are to blame, you may want to change your signature and the procedure for changing is more tedious than opening a new account.
Guy I will simply just open a new account and leave all the hassle for them.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Share Your Experience On This Promo Method / How Much Have U Won From Football Betting? / Interesting Conversation On Black Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.