Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria (12545 Views)

Ogun State Begins Dry Season Harvest In Youth Rice Production Project / Guinea Seeks Nigeria’s Support In Rice Production / Lets Solve Poultry Production Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Tripleclick(m): 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
It is no longer news that price of rice is skyrocketing in the Nigeria market today after the country slip into recession , a bag of rice sold for N13,000 then is now N19,000 which make it seemly unaffordable for mostly poor Nigerians.

One reason they said lead to this was banning of foreign rice importation by the new government to encourage local production though it looks like a good policy, it will amaze you that even the local rices are all expensive too and that's where salt has been added to an injury.

On my own view, this rice production problem can be solved with this seven key points

. Seven Key Points

1. Creation of Association

If Federal Government of Nigeria can create one unique association for all the rice production companies in Nigeria and urge them to join, it will be quite very nice and increase mutual understanding on policies that will enhance good outputs and help solve common challenges facing them.

2. Zoning of Companies

Yes, just like PHCN was zoned across the country, rice companies can be zoned and each and every one of them makes sure adequate price regulations and strong output are put in place in every of their zones, it will surely help. Example Anambra rice and Ebonyi can be zoned together to ensure full market supply of local rice to south east markets

3. Provision of aids and Funds

Federal Government of Nigeria should try as much to provide this companies with necessary aids and funds that will help increase and strengthen their productions, this won't be a hard task for the Government cause the funds will be recouped from taxes on this companies. Also provision of free fertilizer and checks of diversion of this aids should be handled properly.

4. Improved Infrastructures

It will be a thing of dismay if this companies find it hard to transport their productions to markets due to bad roads, and it is the duty of Government to provides this structures to help easy and quick distribution across the country.

5. Provision Mechanical and Expert Helps

If we want our rice quality to enhance, we have to seek help from good experts that will teach those companies on how to improve their production to match foreign standards and also on how to operate morden engines.

6 Establishment of depots

Each in every of the rice companies must make sure adequate distribution of rice's across the country by creating depots in the necessary places, it won't only help to ensure easy distribution, it will help them in market expansion and outreach their distribution units and capacity.

7. Free Adverts/ Promotions by Media

Lastly, Nigeria Media also has a part to play in mobilization of people and encourage them to buy and patronize Local Production or else these companies cannot be sustained which may lead to their collapse, so this is very important issue. Nigeria media can also provide free adverts for these companies for a limited amount of time.

I will drop my pen here. Please drop your comment and extra points in the comment box

Thank you

Sources: http://jonaztales..com.ng/2016/11/7-key-ways-to-solve-rice-production.html?m=1

6 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 28, 2016
I dey come first...make the commercial -retail cost affordable say N5,000 per bag undecided

1 Like

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by helinues: 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2016
Okay good
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by emeijeh(m): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2016
With the way things are going in this country, many families will not eat rice this December 25th.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by KnightSucre(f): 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
Keys abi? Kontinu

1 Like

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by EWAagoyin(m): 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
on point, also construction of 2 gigantic rice mill each in kaduna,eboyin,rivers,benue and ogun state will also help

6 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by showlex2: 2:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
Ok
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by MARKone(m): 2:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
Congratulations Nigerians...one bag of rice is. now #6,500. This is what we all have been waiting for...

.....(page 52, Vanguard newspaper 2009)I just love reading old newspaper.

9 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by kabayomi(m): 2:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by klbakare(m): 2:06pm On Nov 28, 2016
Yeye
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Luckysbab: 2:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
OK o.
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by chidibond(m): 2:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
i choose to see only the positives. As much as the high price affects me, lots of people going into rice production is a plus to the country. 80% of half a bag of rice is properly milled local rice...FACT. I have friends who lost jobs and have taken up rice production, and we hear of warehouses in Benin republic overflowing with bags of stored foreign rice. We have been on the wrong path for too long. This is a hard turn, but a good turn.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by A7(m): 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
We import rice from private owned mills of other countries, private individuals conceive the idea, procure the prerequisites and set up a working mill. Here our business moguls do the complete opposite, they rather source forex to import, sell, and make profit than plant, harvest, process and export.

@Op, I was expecting "raw materials" to be first on your list, that need to be emphasize upon. The recent tomato processing and packaging company set by Dangote in Kano was shut few months after commissioning due to lack of raw materials. If there are bumper harvests in sequence you will be surprised by the number of new working companies that will springle up with or without federal government's help.

Effective solution:

This is what the FG is doing and it is yielding good result. To increase local production the FG launched the anchor borrowers scheme, a programme that give loan to farmers at an interest rate of 9% in order to curb the appetite of heavily importing foodstuff that we can produce locally.

The programme also covers training the farmers on use of modern farming technology, provision of seed varieties with good yield, and the do's and dont's of irrigation farming.

The first state to benefit from this scheme is Kebbi who produced 1.2 million metric tonnes of rice in its first harvest, and currently projecting 1.8 million metric tonnes in this coming harvest.

An almost moribund rice mill in kebbi that was set up since 2006 is now working well and has even increase production due to this promising initiative.

The Fg has also promised to extend this programme to 13 more states, aiming to replicate Kebbi's success and also sustain it.

This I believe is a reasonable solution to the current Rice dilemma we're enveloped in.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by EWAagoyin(m): 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
emeijeh:
With the way things are going in this country, many families will not eat rice this December 25th.
have been rice ever since , kaduna local rice and its very very ok and good 10k per bag and no stones atall atall

3 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by nonjebose(m): 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
1 and 2 ? The market association and zoning stuff is not necessary. The other points are ok with some modifications. Improved seed varieties with good yield and shorter production time should be aggressively distributed to farmers. Loans to rice farmers, with single digit interest.

1 Like

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Mockinbird: 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
Rubbish list..

Remove buhari and rice will be N7500, USD @N160, PMS@ N87, pure water @N5 and overall better-life for Nigeria and Nigerians.
Even if buhari is twice smart, he would still be dumber than a cow.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Longcucumber(m): 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
I dont eat rice.rice na fowl food.

1 Like

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by emeijeh(m): 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
EWAagoyin:
have been rice ever since , kaduna local rice and its very very ok and good 10k per bag and no stones atall atall
Can they still afford that?
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Btruth: 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
I will be back to comment.
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Bigajeff(m): 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
ok
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by EWAagoyin(m): 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
Mockinbird:
Rubbish list..
Remove buhari and rice will be N7500.
u prefer making someone in Thailand or India a millionaire than making someone in Nigeria that abi u are one of our problem

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by holluwai(m): 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
Make this useless govt open border small make people see rice buy. Regardless of it being closed the rice dey enter and it's sold at exorbitant prices.

Common sense!
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by EWAagoyin(m): 2:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
emeijeh:

Can they still afford that?
correct imported caprice is btw 11 and 12k b4 and people buy it without complaining so yes they can
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by TheMascot(m): 2:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
every thing is federal government, mtcheeew this country was never meant to be great, imagine, federal government and rice, and USA is developing weapons, smh rice, federal government Nigerians are too lazy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Mockinbird: 2:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
Longcucumber:
I dont eat rice.rice na fowl food.
Don't you eat garri, semo, amala etc?!
The prices are sucidal.
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by frubben(m): 2:15pm On Nov 28, 2016
I concur with the guy above me " remove bubu and everytin will go back to normal"
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by frubben(m): 2:17pm On Nov 28, 2016
EWAagoyin:
correct imported caprice is btw 11 and 12k b4 and people buy it without complaining so yes they can

Back den money was flowing.

Pdp share the money was ruling. Not knw everywhere hard
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by dayleke: 2:17pm On Nov 28, 2016
Na wa o
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by Mockinbird: 2:18pm On Nov 28, 2016
EWAagoyin:
u prefer making someone in Thailand or India a millionaire than making someone in Nigeria that abi u are one of our problem
Fail!
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by mrvitalis(m): 2:21pm On Nov 28, 2016
The op is a typical example of average Nigerian
He lacks basic economics knowledge

The prices are high... this means profits are also on the high side and this will naturally push investors to that area.. . But this dose not happen over night

Forming association prevent real competitions

The rest government is doing.. For me they are doing too much... .
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by gentlelarry(m): 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2016
Good one.

Btw
Learn your CCTV digital camera Installation and Maintenance, Cosmetology skin treatment and makeup, Event Management and bridal services at Magnesium International (Lagos and Ibadan). And atand to Earn your start up capital of 300k and above in our LEARN AND EARN scheme. 08064782868 is the number to call and chat for Inquiry. Check my Signature for further contact.
Re: 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria by bams2999(m): 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2016
Excellency Advice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? / 7 Killer Diseases That Can End Your Catfish Farm / We Design And Print All Nylon Type ( Bread, Yam Flour, Paint,toilet Roll E.t.c)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.