Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

The Hope Of A Nigerian Youth - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Hope Of A Nigerian Youth (644 Views)

Let Us Hold Up The Hope For Humanity / Nana Udom:the Hope Of A Common Man In Ukanafun Federal Constituency. / Siam Foundation The Hope For The Hopeless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Hope Of A Nigerian Youth by Amaright(m): 4:53pm On Nov 29, 2016
The hope of a typical Nigerian youth is to go to school, get a degree and secure a good paying job. After which he/she settles down.

Why Is It So?

In the early 90's there were few people going to school. 
Few schools and few parents who could afford to train their children to university level. 
In a whole community, only two or three are going to school while in some communities non could be found going to school. 
As a result of that few people graduate from the university every year and are offered a good paying job with lots of working benefits immediately after graduation.

To me its a way of encouraging and motivating people to go to school.

Because our parents were born during this time, (industrial age) that was the only way they knew that can get one out of poverty and the crude life they were living then. 
They passed this advise to us their children and we grew with the idea "if you go to school, job is waiting for you" 
Robert kiyosaki in his bestselling book "Rich dad Poor dad"  called this the industrial age advise. 
Today we are in the information age where we have hundreds of thousand graduates every year seeking for limited employment. So The advise
"go to school, have good grades and secure  a well paying job with lots of incentives" has gone and gone forever. 
The Purpose of Education 
Most people go to university to study just to earn a degree
And secure a good paying job. If you are such a person, you are going to school for the wrong purpose . And reports tells that 70% of Nigerian graduates don't secure jobs after school and the number will continue to increase. Thereby the purpose of education is defeated.

The purpose of going to school is not Just to acquire degree and secure a job at the end but to expand your capacity to recognize problems and deal with them. In other words the main purpose of education is not Just to acquire knowledge and certificates but to empower and equip yourself to take actions.

The downsides of going to school with the wrong purpose 
When ones hope is to go to school get a good grade and secure a job, it blocks his brain from developing and looking towards ideas that can solve problems in the society. 
When his hope is defeated, frustration gets into his life.

I asked a Nigerian student what is your plan for the future he told me this "after school by the grace of God I secure a good job, after 4 to 5years of working, I will marry and settle down" " very wonderful" right? 
What if you don’t secure a job what will you do?  I asked 
I will get a job by the grace of God he replied. 
This kind of person, his hope is in getting a job but the question is
"who created the job he will apply for?  His father or his grand father? 
I am not saying there is no job at all but the jobs are limited. 
This post is for those who don’t want to waste their time seeking for jobs they are not sure they will get. 
When one could not find a job and has no idea of what can put money into his pocket, he becomes a liability to both the parents and the country at large.

I could remember when Nigerian immigration service are recruiting only but 4000 people, I learnt that over 6 million Nigerians applied for the job. 
Can you still remember what happened at the stadium during the aptitude test exam? 
When the organizing body couldn't control the crowd the decided to call military personnel to help them, we learnt that 23 people who came for the test couldn't return home alive. There was  a stampede and 23 people lost their lives while trying to secure a job. 
My dear think. 
Don't blame anybody for not securing  a job
Dont blame the government because the government cannot provide jobs for everybody 
While going to school think 
Get an idea 
Develop the idea
Turn it into a business even while in school 
No matter how small start the business. 
My biggest advise to my fellow Nigerian youths is this

"go to school, get good grade, recognize a problem and deal with the problem"

The world needs people who can solve problems and they are willing to pay. 
See you at the top

Amaright on Facebook

Source :www.amaright.com

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter Mr Osewa / 100% Hand Knitted Wool Clothes By A Beautiful Nigerian bio-chemist / Why Havent You Made 30k Today?(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.