Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar (1820 Views)

Can A Landlord Stop A Tenant From Using Under A Staircase For Storage / Dubai Is Building A Rotating Skyscraper. Here's Everything You Should Know. PICS / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by Enoedem: 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2016
Hello,

I need the help of builders and other experienced persons in the house.

Can a staircase that can stand the test of time ever be built without a starter bar?

Regards,
Tony
Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by sheunflexy(m): 5:48pm On Nov 30, 2016
How do you intend to do it?how do you intend to connect the coming reinforcement which are suppose to connect with the starter bar in other to form the suppose staircase?am suspecting you might have made a mistake by skipping the starter bar while casting the slab,bro ko le work.
Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by Enoedem: 8:07pm On Nov 30, 2016
Am not a builder, but someone is building a property for me.
I sent someone else to inspect as to provide me with an independent assurance - and he reported that no provision was made for starter.
When I discuss this with the builder he told me that it wasn't a mistake, and that he doesn't normally use starter bar in his staircases.

Have done academic research and I can see the reinforcement that a starter bar provides so I doubted him. I feel he made a mistake but doesn't
want to accept. This is why am seeking others' opinion - and you are the third person who agrees that he made a mistake.
Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by chubbyG(m): 9:16pm On Nov 30, 2016
Enoedem:
Am not a builder, but someone is building a property for me.
I sent someone else to inspect as to provide me with an independent assurance - and he reported that no provision was made for starter.
When I discuss this with the builder he told me that it wasn't a mistake, and that he doesn't normally use starter bar in his staircases.

Have done academic research and I can see the reinforcement that a starter bar provides so I doubted him. I feel he made a mistake but doesn't
want to accept. This is why am seeking others' opinion - and you are the third person who agrees that he made a mistake.
one of the characteristics of a staircase is
Strength and stability ....building isn't rocket science where people just do what they like ,in the design provisions I'm sure a starter bar was required.
A failed staircase can kill the occupants in the house.
Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by Enoedem: 10:09pm On Nov 30, 2016
His position is that it is not mandatory to "bury it in the ground" for it to be called a starter.
Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by jeftalene(m): 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2016
Enoedem:
Hello,

I need the help of builders and other experienced persons in the house.

Can a staircase that can stand the test of time ever be built without a starter bar?

Regards,
Tony
PS: This advice is based on the assumption that your project is a private residential building development.

As a Professional Structural Engineer, I would like to shed some light.
Although the use of starter bars to connect staircases to floors or foundation foots are generally safer especially for public staircases, considering the load distribution on staircases in private homes or residential apartments, starter bars are not mandatory for simply-supported staircases (I.e. Staircases that are not designed to be fixed or hinged at ends).

However for reinforced concrete staircases where starter bars are not used, it is important that the base of the staircase is constructed such that it is large enough to sit properly on the supporting structure beneath it so as to prevent any overturning moment that may occur due to stresses along the stair.

Therefore your builder might be on the right track.

Op, also note that providing pictures might help us better understand or appreciate your complaint.

For free construction advice, never hesitate to whatsapp me on 08167394799.
You can also find time to read a few insightful construction articles on my blog: www.engineerosaz..com
Best of luck on your project!

3 Likes

Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by Enoedem: 10:47pm On Nov 30, 2016
@Engineerosaz, thanks - yes you are correct - it is a residential premises.
The staircase has not been done yet so I don't have pictures - I decided to raise the concerns now because no provision was made for the starter bar when the german floor was laid.

Maybe what you've said is what he's planning to do - i'd keep my eyes open.

1 Like

Re: Building A Staircase Without A Starter Bar by realisticwise: 11:57am On May 30, 2022
Yes am a civil engineer and I can authoritatively tell you that it's not compulsory to bury staircase starters inside the ground. I have built several houses where I did not have to bury the starter bars

(1) (Reply)

2HP Panasonic Air Conditioner 65k / Introducing Sunrise Valley Estate Abuja / 80 Acres Ofland For Sale At Abijo Area Opposite Abijo GRA After Sangotedo. Ajah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.