Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React (2270 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by maxwell767(m): 10:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
Noble Prize winner prof. Soyinka Upholds his promise to leave US after Trumps win....

See the comments from Americans... grin

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by maxwell767(m): 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
cheesy

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by madridguy(m): 10:09pm On Dec 01, 2016
grin
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Kyllahmc(m): 10:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
Between Soyinka and the Americans... I dont know who annoys me more

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by littlewonders: 10:12pm On Dec 01, 2016
In Mr 2kay's voice(who no like better thing make I see).

He should tear his green card in public let us see with our two naked eyes just as he said it on public television

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Oyiboman69: 10:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
Bros wole no try at all at all, if you look the matter well.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by nlsmd: 10:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
No eye witness undecided

Just like Buhari.. .Soyinka is fraud undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by nlsmd: 10:16pm On Dec 01, 2016
Wole Soyinka undecided

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by OZAOEKPE(f): 10:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
AFONJA go play wrong play shocked

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Thisis2raw(m): 10:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
I like the one that said "don't let the door hit your asss. BYE BYE"

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by maxwell767(m): 10:56pm On Dec 01, 2016
Thisis2raw:
I like the one that said "don't let the door hit your asss. BYE BYE"

cheesy
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Chienex24(m): 11:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
soyinka has entered one chance! what did he expect? that they wil beg him? epic!!!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by trademoore1: 11:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
4 people react
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Samunique(m): 11:27pm On Dec 01, 2016
undecided Wole Soyinka taking paracetamol for another man's headache since the time immemorial!!!

B'ose gbon to be na l'ose go to prof !!!

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
http://www.voanews.com/a/wole-soyinka-trump-nobel-prize-nigeria/3619304.html

WASHINGTON —

Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka has held true to his promise to leave the United States if Donald Trump won the presidency, announcing Thursday that he has "disengaged" from the U.S. and thrown away his green card.

Soyinka, who won the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, was born in Nigeria but has resided in the U.S. for more than 20 years. He's held teaching jobs at Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Cornell and Yale, but most recently worked as a scholar in residence at New York University.

Returns to Nigeria

Before the U.S. election took place November 8, Soyinka vowed to start cutting up his green card "the moment they announce [Trump’s] victory." Now that Trump has been declared the victor, Soyinka says he is upholding that promise.

“I have already done it. I have disengaged [from the United States]. I have done what I said I would do,” Soyinka told the French news agency AFP during an education conference in Johannesburg, South Africa.

“I had a horror of what is to come with Trump. ... I threw away the [green] card, and I have relocated, and I'm back to where I have always been,” he said, referring to his native Nigeria.

Time in U.S. called 'useful'

While Soyinka made the commitment to vacate the U.S. due to political differences with the now president-elect, he said he wouldn't discourage others from seeking residence in the country.

“It's useful in many ways. I wouldn't for one single moment discourage any Nigerians or anybody from acquiring a green card ... but I have had enough of it,” he said.

Soyinka was the first African writer to win the Nobel Prize for literature.

There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

@OP, pls where did you get this your so called Americans react since there are no comments nor reactions from anyone yet on that official VOA link
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by maxwell767(m): 11:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
Samunique:
undecided Wole Soyinka taking paracetamol for another man's headache since the time immemorial!!!

B'ose gbon to be na l'ose go to prof !!!

I jst tire oo undecided

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by unikprince(m): 11:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
Afonja tongue
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by mightyhazell: 11:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
Prof fhuck up sha

But still ma man anyday cool

4 Likes

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by redsun(m): 12:24am On Dec 02, 2016
Great man. There are very few renowned personalities that have been brave enough to condemn the dangerous shift America. It is backwardness and it is not going to help matter.

Another losers or battered free slaves clings on desperately to the masters land.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by redsun(m): 12:26am On Dec 02, 2016
Great man. There are very few renowned personalities that have been brave enough to condemn the dangerous shift America. It is backwardness and it is not going to help matter.

Only losers or battered free slaves clings on desperately to the masters land.Soyinka is not one of them.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Segadem(m): 2:26am On Dec 02, 2016
[size=15pt] ..."before u say NEVER think twice"[/size]
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Emassive(m): 3:27am On Dec 02, 2016
trademoore1:
4 people react

He will need to write a story on Zombies like you. 2 is a witness not 4.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Nobody: 4:42am On Dec 02, 2016
[size=18pt]Upholding his vow, so why is errybady whining?[/size]
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Nobody: 5:16am On Dec 02, 2016
byrron:

@OP, pls where did you get this your so called Americans react since there are no comments nor reactions from anyone yet on that official VOA link
Oga that's Twitter na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 02, 2016
I salute yhur courage sir
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by maxwell767(m): 7:05am On Dec 02, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Oga that's Twitter na

Some have eyes but can not see....
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Oga that's Twitter na

OK sir!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Upholds His Promise; Americans React by totorimi: 1:06am On Dec 03, 2016
He thought he matters to them maybe they will start begging him to stay as per noble Laurette concern little did he know that like play like play bros has landed in bubu's enclave to come and see magic in govt.

You know if it is here when you do small 'shakara' people will be begging you but Yankee no send anybody atall.
By the time bubu finishes with him he will beg akata people to let him come back even as a visitor. This is how they talk without thinking.
Whatever it maybe he has used his own mouth to deport himself but I still respect him because that is the way Nigerians ought to be behaving had it been that our politicians had made this place a better place to live in.

(1) (Reply)

/ FAAD: Forever & A Day Episode II: Daddy's Little Girl / Premium Quillbot Accounts For Writers (paraphrasing Tool) 1 Year!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.