Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

A Survivor Of The Colombia Plane; Adopting The Brace Position Saved My Life - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Survivor Of The Colombia Plane; Adopting The Brace Position Saved My Life (807 Views)

Nigerian Lone Survivor Of Fatal Auto Crash, Shares Testimony, 3 Years Later / Sisy Arias Co-pilot Who Died In The Colombia Crash During Her First Flight / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Survivor Of The Colombia Plane; Adopting The Brace Position Saved My Life by JesChill(m): 11:27am On Dec 02, 2016
On many occasions that I've taken trips by air, well in my type of work it is mainly helicopters or choppers as we call them, we usually have few minutes for a safety talk where passengers are briefed on safety measures and what to do in the case of an emergency. They always emphasize the "brace position", but what I have noticed over time during these briefings are passengers nonchalant attitude towards this exercise, to some of them its just a ritual the airlines have to perform, so they are hardly interested, well here is a true testimony from one of the survivors of the Columbia plane crash involving a Brazilian football team on Quartz Weekly.

On the night of Nov. 28 a charter plane hurled into a mountainside-south of Medellin, Colombia’s second-largest city. Of the 77 people aboard, all but six died. One of the survivors, flight technician Erwin Tumiri, believes that following normal airline safety protocols saved his life.
While many passengers stood up from their seats and screamed, he told local media, he tucked a bag between his legs and “went into the fetal position as recommended in crashes.” The so-called “brace position” is recommended by many airlines, but many have questioned its effectiveness. Tumiri said he was certain he survived because he “followed the safety protocols.”
No doubt luck played a role in his survival as well. It’s clear from the smashed wreckage that many passengers would have perished no matter what measures they took.
The plane was carrying the Brazilian soccer club Chapecoense, a small-market team that had beat the odds to reach the Copa Sudamericana, a major club competition. The team was on its way to play in the first leg of the final.
Besides Tumiri, the other survivors included three players, another crew member, and one journalist.
The plane’s pilot told air traffic controllers he had run out of fuel, after skipping a scheduled refueling stop in Bogota

Source: http://www.brainyhubb.com/

Re: A Survivor Of The Colombia Plane; Adopting The Brace Position Saved My Life by Damibiz(m): 12:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
May their soul rest in peace..AMEN

(1) (Reply)

Mushin To Ijora / Passport, License Process To Be Easy / Arik Air Manager Beaten By Angry Passengers Over 3 Days Delayed Flight [VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.