Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,579 members, 7,820,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

How To Become An 'a' Student And Get A Scholarship. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Become An 'a' Student And Get A Scholarship. (441 Views)

IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos / Edward Kisuze, Ugandan Lecturer Arrested For Sexually Harassing A Student / Nigerian Law School Expels A Student Few Days To His Bar Final Exams (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Become An 'a' Student And Get A Scholarship. by okomotunde: 3:16pm On Dec 02, 2016
Trust me, no student is a dullard.If you have not been making excellent grades in your examinations,it is because you have not been taught how to study properly. No teacher ever taught you how to understand what you study,how to remember what you studied and the disciplined mind needed to excel in your studies. If every student had been lucky to have been taught these techniques,every student would become an excellent student.Students in traditional societies would therefore have no reason to depend on talisman or any other type of voodoo that is very unreasonable and senseless. I have had the honour of conducting seminars on memory improvement in Lagos schools and some higher institutions. I discovered during these seminars that students that perform poorly have wrong attitude towards education. I also discovered the solutions to their problems which I have decided to share with you here on NAIRALAND. Thanks to Seun for his brilliance in setting up this platform. There are ten reasons why any student will not perform well in their examinations which include the following. 1,Mind wandering during lectures and during reading of text. 2,Not knowing how to study and understand. 3,Not knowing how to remember what they studied . 4,Not knowing how to remember names of people .5,Not knowing how to remember names of things. 6,Not knowing how to remember Terminologies. 7,Not knowing how to remember Dates. 8,Not knowing how to remember Diagrams and labels. 9,Not knowing how to remember Math formulas. 10,Not knowing how to prepare for and answer questions during examinations in order to make excellent grades. If all these enumerated problems are solved, any student would become an excellent student and get a scholarship based on merit. Now that you know the problems why students do not make excellent grades in their examinations, let me show you the solutions .

HOW TO STUDY AND UNDERSTAND
Even though we use the word 'Read' regularly, it is not what any student who wants to become an "A"Student should be doing. Instead of reading, a student should study their books.This is because studying entails close scrutiny of materials and concentration is required. A whole lot of students find it difficult to comprehend what they read but the situation would be different if they follow the rules of studying.The following are the rules to follow if you have to be proficient in comprehension.
[a]You have to avoid any kind of distraction. There are two kinds of distractions.The first one is external distraction.In this category are: any kind of noise which include music, T.V, crowd of people, computer and telephones. The second type of distraction is internal. This type of distraction include day dreaming, hunger and mind-wandering. You need to calm down when studying and that is why distracting factors should be eliminated.
[b]You must try and build up your vocabulary. It has been ascertained through research that students with a smaller vocabulary than other students comprehend less of what they read or study.

The purpose of reading any text is to reading and understand,not just read to complete the readings. This requires stopping and questioning yourself and writing down main concepts as you continue to read. This is because all knowledge results from questions, which is another way of saying that question asking is our most important intellectual tool.Reflect and reflect. When you are reading a book,you should be free to use a finger or an object as a pointer because that will keep your eyes focused on the line you are reading, thereby improving your understanding. If you are alone while reading try to read aloud because that will reduce mind-wandering to a large extent.

You should ensure that you have a pen or pencil and an advanced dictionary. The Pen or pencil is to be used for summarizing after each paragraph in your own words while the dictionary is to be used to check the meaning of any new word that you are not familiar with. You cannot read over any word you don't understand.Every vocabulary in the book is important and it is there for purpose.
When studying, it is important to think about the meaning of every word and connect it to real life picture. For example, the name "Baker" may not mean anything to you but when you think of the meaning of "Baker", it means somebody baking cakes, bread and other confessionary. You can picture a man wearing a funny white hat that has flour on his hands. That connection will make you remember the word "Baker". You have to establish an emotional connection with a thing or place.Pictures are very important when trying to understand what you are studying because pictures are indelible. We form visual images much like a camera records an image. What we see is imprinted like a photograph in our brain cells. Therefore,visualization is an important part of understanding what you study.
Visualization is a metal image created in a person's mind while reading text which brings words of life". You can practice visualization by imagining what you see,hear,smell,taste,or fell. Think of yourself as a movie director and picture the action while you are reading it.Cast the movie with actors and try hard to picture the events as realistically as possible. This will make the reading more fun. This is the way to fall in love with reading and not to feel bored. As I have stated earlier,attention span does not go beyond fifty minutes. So you have to take a break for about ten to fifteen minutes after studying for 50 minutes to give your eyes and mind a rest.

Before you take a break, make sure you write things over and over. The more you write down,the more they will stick in your brain.
If you want to learn more about how to become an 'A' student and get a scholarship,follow me at informationpowerNG.com.You will be glad you found NAIRALAND.com

(1) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment Of Private Home Tutors / Please Advice Me / Download Ebooks For Your Computer, Phones Today!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.