Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders (26996 Views)

Igbo Traders In Yenagoa Market Protest Hoodlums' Attack, "Spirits responsible" / Discover How To Import cheap goods And Sell At higher Price In Nigeria / Igbo Traders In Bayelsa Shut Down Shops Over Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Pillyportions(f): 7:37am On Dec 04, 2016
Why are some of us here complaining.... Most of us here see these low quality china products and we still buy them. Most of these china stuffs are not fake, but the quality no be here. Atimes i thank God for China , because they hav been saving Nigerians. Since we dnt want to start producing things oya let the importing kwontinue..... All we knw is just to complain and fold our hands...... Dances off from the thread......

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by truthspeaks: 7:37am On Dec 04, 2016
They import cheap not fake. If not, poor Nigerians wldnt hv access to certain goods n dis has strengthened competition.

Just because of hate for d igbos, u just picked d one dat suits ur opinion. Zone B
Khd95:
U import fake shikena.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by hamilton62(m): 7:38am On Dec 04, 2016
Elchappo:
We don’t exit consignment without SONCAP –Customs : this one is big lie cous I am 100% sure...

Just clearing agent nd customs ve a way around this...
because you think you are right, does it make him a liar? There is a way around a lot of things in this country of yours negatively but that doesn't mean that some people aren't civil and law abiding. SON is the base defaulter from deviating out of its onus... Its status quo is meant to stand and not blame the traders because they can't tell Nigerians that they are blind to the action of the traders but are compromise and culprit of it too.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by AngryNigerian(m): 7:38am On Dec 04, 2016
passyhansome:

Oftentimes we don't tell ourselves the truth or we shy away from it, the economy is crumbled, the dollar rate is plethora, so put yourself in the position of an importer after getting dollar at high rate, and you know the objective is to buy goods people can afford and so that you can make profit too, then how do you do it then. Aside that is the extortion from custom during clearance. Nigeria doesn't have a policy that favours importers, thats why you see what you are seeing.

No mind people...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:41am On Dec 04, 2016
tollytexy:
ipob brothers and fake be like... abeg who get the zuma meme make he borrow me
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Khd95(m): 7:42am On Dec 04, 2016
truthspeaks:
They import cheap not fake. If not, poor Nigerians wldnt hv access to certain goods n dis has strengthened competition.

Just because of hate for d igbos, u just picked d one dat suits ur opinion. Zone B
pls if am unbrella sells for N500 nd d same unbrella sells for N2500 in d same market,the one that sells cheaper,is it of the same quality with the one that sells costlier

Use ur flat brain....

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by olaitoro(m): 7:44am On Dec 04, 2016
most of the comments above are reek of ignorance.
What push the market of any product is demand whether substandard or not and the essence of any business is profit maximizing.
Most Nigerians will always go for a cheap product as againt the high end ones making the demand for substandard to sore high and higher.
No business man including me will buy the so called *standard product that will tie up his scarce business capital with less profit margin while there is higher demand of the so called *substandard goods.
To check fake product circulation in our markets, the regulatory agencies need to up their game and the masses should change their AWOOF atitude when it comes to choice making.

note: cheap products does not indicate fake and vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 04, 2016
This as they say is a "no brainer" the answer is in the question.
Who does like to buy anything as cheap as possible undecided
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by EmeeNaka: 7:51am On Dec 04, 2016
You go to market, you see a good worth 50k and you see another similar good worth 20k, you buy that of 20k and come here to complain. What do you expect before?. You want to have your cake and eat it?.

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 7:54am On Dec 04, 2016
When you say "helping" you mean that China is being totally charitable and helps Nigeria entirely at its own cost ? Otherwise if they getting paid then its called "selling to" , not "helping". In which case what Nigeria offers them is obviously business and money.
HQuadreal:
China Have Been Helping Nigeria Since Day 1.
But Nigeria Has Nothing To Offer Them.
#Abi Na Lie.

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by engreo(m): 7:56am On Dec 04, 2016
tollytexy:
ipob brothers and fake be like... abeg who get the zuma meme make he borrow me

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Obcglobal(m): 7:57am On Dec 04, 2016
That goodsgoods are cheap does not mean that they are fake and that goods are cost does not mean they are original, your economy determines how cost things will be, go to china and price good quality things and see how cheap it is and you will surprise. A big bottle of pure water in China is sold for 2RMB while the lesser quality here in Nigeria goes for as high as 150 to 200naira so do we now say Chinese table water is fake or substandard?. And again if you don't know how things is been produced or it's components how can you know what makes it to lack in quality? Our security agency need more education to what determines a good product and up to date world standard laboratory to test run some goods and based a fake on how cheap it is. Just my common sense as a certified criminologist.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by olaitoro(m): 7:58am On Dec 04, 2016
AnonyNymous:
Not being tribalistic

I've noticed that Igbo people like British names/uncommon English names

This guy's name is Hyacinth.

Any Darlington, Robinson, Determination, Testimony, Barnabas, Smart, Angus, Callum, Alastair, etc is usually Igbo.

They don't always use the typical John, David, etc. Can someone explain or is my observation wrong?

**To the topic, there's nothing wrong with what they do and I think its actually a smart move. . .I mean, even iPhones are made in China. Beats by Dre too. One of the things Donald Trump said he wants to do, is to 'bring those jobs back' to America. Its really smart of the Igbo traders, knowing that they can get item A for $4 in China, why would they buy it from America after 'packaging' has been done for $40? Yes, the price difference is that wide. Did you know it only costs $14 to make a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones?

Please o, these agencies should just mind their business. Most of the agencies in Nigeria have never been about protecting Nigerians/Nigerian business owners, all they just want is to take care of their pocket.

we Igbos answer those names because we are Christians, and it is the same reason hausas answer musa, muhammadu, usman, abdusalam and yorubas answer tajudeen, taofiq, sikirat, abdulganiyu, abdurasheed, ABDULCHAIR etc.

as for the topic, you made a nice point.

5 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by grownaira: 7:58am On Dec 04, 2016
Buy 9ja, grow naira
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by truthspeaks: 7:58am On Dec 04, 2016
See person wey get beta brain. Does cheap mean fake? Low quality doesn't necessarily mean it's nt original as products hv difft levels of quality to satisfy difft 'income markets'. Next time pick ur comments well cos no be evry1 for NL be mumu.

Cone head
Khd95:
pls if am unbrella sells for N500 nd d same unbrella sells for N2500 in d same market,the one that sells cheaper,is it of the same quality with the one that sells costlier

Use ur flat brain....

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by HQuadreal: 7:59am On Dec 04, 2016
GenBuhari:
When you say "helping" you mean that China is being totally charitable and helps Nigeria entirely at its own cost ? Otherwise if they getting paid then its called "selling to" , not "helping". In which case what Nigeria offers them is obviously business and money.
hmmm hmmm clear throat.
I hear you.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 8:03am On Dec 04, 2016
olaitoro:

we Igbos answer those names because we are Christians, and it is the same reason hausas answer musa, muhammadu, usman, abdusalam and yorubas answer tajudeen, taofiq, sikirat, abdulganiyu, abdurasheed, ABDULCHAIR etc.
But some of them are not Biblical. . .

thanks
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by agbangam: 8:05am On Dec 04, 2016
Oh our dear Dora Akunyili, we miss u soooo much. The Igbo man @ d helm @ SON has been totally compromised. The igbo trader wey dey import fake bulb u no go die better.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by kettle84(m): 8:05am On Dec 04, 2016
Lanre4uonly:
"Quality" should always be the key. Nigeria market have been allowed too much to have a free flow of fake products. Hence, many consumers continue to fall victim of all these fake products without any return on the value for their money. In addition, insincerity & selfish interest on the part of the sellers & the government has led to the high level of sub-standard products in the market.
if you had gently read the write up and assimilated it,you would have realized that it was said that you can get anything from the market depending on your purse.it is not the fault of importers that majority of Nigerians are poor and not the duty of importers to set and enforce standard.

the government failed by impoverishing Nigerians and failed to have a working standards organization.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Kingbuhari(m): 8:12am On Dec 04, 2016
u need not to educate this dick heads from Togo how things are done. cheap substandard goods are there, quality goods are also there so its left for you to make ur choice, this Togolese ppl want to obtain Quality goods with peanut change, Eg US stock jeans are sold from 5k,20k and above but Chinese , Dubai or Korean jeans are more cheaper and at affordable rates btw 1500 naira to 3500, this Togolese ppl in Nigeria should stop degenerating issues and go for made in Aba goods they can easily afford without skipping afternoon ewedu and amala

5 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by olaitoro(m): 8:15am On Dec 04, 2016
AnonyNymous:

But some of them are not Biblical. . .

thanks

majority of Igbos are catholics, anglicans, methodists and presbyterians, that have the concept of saints within their doctrines. So they are not limited to answering biblical names.

it is all about Igbos religious believe and not culturally incline.

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Khd95(m): 8:16am On Dec 04, 2016
truthspeaks:
See person wey get beta brain. Does cheap mean fake? Low quality doesn't necessarily mean it's nt original as products hv difft levels of quality to satisfy difft 'income markets'. Next time pick ur comments well cos no be evry1 for NL be mumu.

Cone head
ohhh cheap does not mean fake.

Pleae if u see iphone7 for 25k,would u buy it because its not fake but cheap

like it or not,most at time,these pple import fakes,for their selfish gain,not for the betterment of the masses

I say use ur flat brain like an app

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by mightyhazell: 8:19am On Dec 04, 2016
Khd95:

Use ur flat brain....
your the one dat needs 2 use ur useless brain. If a high quality umbrella sells for 2500 and a lower quality sells for 5h and its raining heavily,and u need 2 get somwhere fast despite the rain,..and u have say like 1500 in ur wallet,wot will u do?

A, brave the rain and get soaked up and shivering b4 u get 2 ur destination (wit possible damage 2 assets like fones,shoes,documents etc)

B,wait indefinitely for the rains 2 stop dereby losing ur appointment(maybe an interview or a biz proposal)
C,beg (in futility) the seller of the umbrella 2 sell for 1500

D,start beggin ppl around u 2 loan u som money 2 complete the payment of the 2500 umbrella

E get an umbrella for 500 and rush 2 ur biz meetins or job opportunity dat cud fetch u millions in near future to buy as many gold platted umbrella as u may wish 2 carry,..

Igbo importers and traders are a blessing 2 us in nigeria! There is sth for every1. U just have 2 pluck from where ur hands can get to. Nobody says u must buy! U can as well decide not 2 buy (like I do decide somtimes)

We shd be grateful to them for the choices

5 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Khd95(m): 8:22am On Dec 04, 2016
mightyhazell:
your the one dat needs 2 use ur useless brain. If a high quality umbrella sells for 2500 and a lower quality sells for 5h and its raining heavily,and u need 2 get somwhere fast despite the rain,..and u have say like 1500 in ur wallet,wot will u do?

A, brave the rain and get soaked up and shivering b4 u get 2 ur destination

B,wait indefinitely for the rains 2 stop dereby losing ur appointment(maybe an interview or a biz proposal)
C,beg (in futility) the seller of the umbrella 2 sell for 1500

D,start beggin ppl around u 2 loan u som money 2 complete the payment of the 2500 umbrella

E get an umbrella for 500 and rush 2 ur biz meetins or job opportunity dat cud fetch u millions in near future to buy as many gold platted umbrella as u may wish 2 carry,..

Shoot!
so u ve to wait for rain to start before u think of buying unbrella,do u ve brain like dis

Now come hear,if genuine iphone7 is 450k nd the same seller tells u he has same 'cheap' iphone7 for 70k...pls which would u buy,lets see how wise ure

2 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 04, 2016
olaitoro:

majority of Igbos are catholics, anglicans, methodists and presbyterians, that have the concept of saints within their doctrines. So they are not limited to answering biblical names.

it is all about Igbos religious believe and not culturally incline.

Oh, I see. Thanks.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by olaitoro(m): 8:29am On Dec 04, 2016
Khd95:
ohhh cheap does not mean fake.

Pleae if u see iphone7 for 25k,would u buy it because its not fake but cheap

like it or not,most at time,these pple import fakes,for their selfish gain,not for the betterment of the masses

I say use ur flat brain like an app

that iphone7 that sold for 27k were produces for some people who has affinity for iphones but the economic situation of Nigeria deprive them of such luxury. So those importers are helping Nigerians including you.

If I am a phone dealer and people like you keep on demanding for a lower cost iphone7, I will import a 40fts container of it in order to meet your demand and saturate the market with it.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Khd95(m): 8:31am On Dec 04, 2016
olaitoro:

that iphone7 that sold for 27k were produces for some people who has affinity for iphones but the economic situation of Nigeria deprive them of such luxury. So those importers are helping Nigerians including you.

If I am a phone dealer and people like you keep on demanding for a lower cost iphone7, I will import a 40fts container of it in order to meet your demand and saturate the market with it.

which means the iphone that costs 27k is substandard compared to the one that costs 450k,nd another word for substandard is fake right?
Which means u import fake,case closed

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by mightyhazell: 8:36am On Dec 04, 2016
Khd95:
so u ve to wait for rain to start before u think of buying unbrella,do u ve brain like dis

Now come hear,if genuine iphone7 is 450k nd the same seller tells u he has same 'cheap' iphone7 for 70k...pls which would u buy,lets see how wise ure
don't make me conclude dazz nuffn in ur head u dis boy!

I gave u a standard situation of an urgent need situation. Where a person is faced with an urgent necessity and ur yapping about I phones.

U and I have had urgent needs for umbrella in the past. Every single human being on the face of the earth has had need for umbrellas in the past. Majority of nigerians may not have and maynever acquire I phones in their lives

Answer ur simple question and quit playing dumb!

4 Likes

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by konkonbilo(m): 8:39am On Dec 04, 2016
Nigeria is now a dumping ground for substandard goods due to our greedy and I don't care attitude. I remember before now people by ORIGINAL goods not minding the price provided its serves it purpose,even when they are not wealthy because they was less fake and substandard goods in the market. It was what is in the market then you'll buy either either you been rich or poor and people did not complain or die about it.but due to the greed of some people they go to China and make similar product with less quality n same packaging and they come to sell to us here in Nigeria. The trend continues and we now find our selves in this mess now. 90% of foreign goods sold in Nigeria are either fake or substandard.

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by Khd95(m): 8:44am On Dec 04, 2016
mightyhazell:
don't make me conclude dazz nuffn in ur head u dis boy!

I gave u a standard situation of an urgent need situation. Where a person is faced with an urgent necessity and ur yapping about I phones.

U and I have had urgent needs for umbrella in the past. Every single human being on the face of the earth has had need for umbrellas in the past. Majority of nigerians may not have and maynever acquire I phones in their lives

Answer ur simple question and quit playing dumb!
ur analysis about the rain is poor,cos every wise man knows that umbrella is a neccesity,u dont wait for rain to start bfore u acquire one..so can u come up with something bettr.

Now tell me,the umbrella dat sells for 500N is substandard to the one that sells for 2500N right?

Another word for substandard is fake,not cheap,because its not of the same quality as d one that is costlier...now..the man that import same products at different prices,can even sell the fake one as original nd u nd i will still consume it

1 Like

Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by LecciGucci: 8:51am On Dec 04, 2016
esuLAAROYE:
God bless Igbo people, they have that fantastic business brain
#Proudly Yoruba

Nwanyi yoruba oma (pretty yoruba woman)
Bia kam luba gi(come make i marry u) kiss.
Re: Why We Import Cheap Goods From China - Igbo Traders by LecciGucci: 8:55am On Dec 04, 2016
olaitoro:

Responds of the century ! !!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Bizarre Places People Have Hidden Money / Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad / Meet G.U Okeke: GUO Transportation Business CEO & His Civil War Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.