Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,183 members, 7,815,139 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

How To Save Money On Food! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Save Money On Food! (1915 Views)

11 Signs And Symbols On Food And Their Meaning / Books On Food, Baking, Cake Decorating And More!! / Information On Food Dehydrators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Save Money On Food! by yemtitus(m): 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2009
Thinking of cutting down your expenses on food? Then you should read the
following tips. They will surely help you on reducing your food expenses. They are by no means comprehensive but they will be very useful.

For coffee drinkers

It is a good idea to re-use the grounded coffee once. Using coffee grounds two times or more will not greatly affect the taste of the coffee. It is highly encouraged to do this using a filter that is permanent and avoid the paper variety. Keep the grounds refrigerated until using it the following day.

For bread lovers

Grocery stores sell bread that was made the day before at a much lower price. There is nothing wrong with eating bread that was made the day before since it still is good to eat. If you have a lot of space in your refrigerator, store a lot for bigger savings. If you will eat the bread, you can defrost it using your microwave oven. Re-heat it every 30 seconds to prevent the edges of the bread from getting too hard.

For more information on how to save money on food visit
http://timeandmoneytosave..com
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 4:52pm On Nov 11, 2009
I dont agree with you.
Most of the breads that they sell that was made same day has an expiry date of like a day or 2, so if you end up not finishing he bread in a day or 2, that is a waste of money.
For coffee lovers, i will say, get your own coffee maker, that is better way to safe.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by iice(f): 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2009
yeah storing bread in the freezer saves one more.

Some breads have longer expiry dates
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 9:02pm On Nov 11, 2009
^^^ True Dat
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Epi: 12:39am On Nov 12, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I dont agree with you.
Most of the breads that they sell that was made same day has an expiry date of like a day or 2, so if you end up not finishing he bread in a day or 2, that is a waste of money.
For coffee lovers, i will say, get your own coffee maker, that is better way to safe.
not necessarily. You can still eat the bread days after the expiration date, once it's good. The expiration date is for the grocery to get rid of it. We have eggs in the refrigerator 2 weeks after the expiration date and using them. The jug milk, I'll go 2 days after the expiration once it's good. The only thing I don't play around with, is can stuff (I respect the expiration date)
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On Nov 12, 2009
Epi:

not necessarily. You can still eat the bread days after the expiration date, once it's good. The expiration date is for the grocery to get rid of it. We have eggs in the refrigerator 2 weeks after the expiration date and using them. The jug milk, I'll go 2 days after the expiration once it's good. The only thing I don't play around with, is can stuff (I respect the expiration date)

I comply with that date with no joke.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by mohawkchic(f): 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2009
[size=13pt]~"Expired Food Dont Kill Africans" cheesy I use to hear that a lot back home![/size]
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 11:27pm On Nov 12, 2009
u never can tell oh.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by mohawkchic(f): 11:28pm On Nov 12, 2009
[size=13pt]~Thats the mentality Poverty gives some people unfortunately. . .[/size]
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 12, 2009
I've seen people put bread  in the freezer but i'm not too sure if thats good practice.

@ topic,
Do not go to the grocery store hungry.
You are very likely to buy things you do not need.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by mohawkchic(f): 11:38pm On Nov 12, 2009
OMO IBO:

@ topic,

[size=13pt]~Oh Really? Have you tried it/does it work for you?[/size]
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Winnergal(f): 11:58pm On Nov 12, 2009
OMO IBO:

I cosign it . . .  cool
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 13, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~Oh Really? Have you tried it/does it work for you?[/size]

Yep, it has worked for me without fail.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Epi: 1:32am On Nov 13, 2009
OMO IBO:

I've seen people put bread in the freezer but i'm not too sure if thats good practice.
I am not in favor of that either
OMO IBO:

LOL grin grin Who told u so?
Fhemmmy:

I comply with that date with no joke.
LOL grin grin It is still best to be cautious wink
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 13, 2009
Epi, it is so true.
Believe me.

meanwhile, i've been trying to grab your attention. How are you?
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by mohawkchic(f): 2:35am On Nov 13, 2009
OMO IBO:

Yep, it has worked for me without fail.

[size=13pt]~You've actually had me thinking "have i actually bought something i didnt need b/c i was hungry while shopping?" undecided I only had to think of all the times i've bought things that werent even on my shopping list . . now i'm thinking "Was i hungry when i did that?" cheesy

~Food for thought i suppose. . . Let you know if works for me. . .[/size]
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Epi: 2:36am On Nov 13, 2009
OMO IBO:

Epi, it is so true.
Believe me.
alright. I'll keep an eye on myself when I'm at the grocery cheesy
OMO IBO:

meanwhile, i've been trying to grab your attention. How are you?[/[/b]sub]
Yes, I saw  you "hailing" me in a thread awhile back.  I try to limit my postings so even though I didn't respond, [b]you still hold a special part in my heart wink  I am very observant but sometimes I like to remain silent

Take care
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 13, 2009
Glad I got you ladies thinking. . . .

I'll keep an eye on this thread for your opinion and thoughts
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by spikedcylinder: 9:24am On Nov 13, 2009
Interesting.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2009
OMO IBO:

I've seen people put bread  in the freezer but i'm not too sure if thats good practice.

@ topic,

Very true.
Epi:

LOL grin grin It is still best to be cautious wink

Yes oh
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fiona0007: 11:47am On Nov 14, 2009
Bread stays fresh longer if it's kept in the fridge, so not always need to use the freezer.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 3:02pm On Nov 14, 2009
^^^ i am gonna try it and if i waste money, i will come after you to collect my money back
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fiona0007: 5:23am On Nov 15, 2009
Alright, no problem.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 6:19am On Nov 15, 2009
ok
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Epi: 11:58pm On Dec 27, 2009
Cut Costs to the Bone -- Save Money On Seasonings

There's saving money on your grocery bill and then there's saving money on your grocery bill. You know what I mean. There are different levels when it comes to saving money. What is frugal to one family is a drop in the bucket to the next. If you're ready to take saving money to the next level and would like to save money on groceries, you need to learn how to save money on seasonings.

Save money on seasonings
Okay, it doesn't sound like much and you may be thinking it wouldn't be worth your time, but let me tell you -- it adds up. When you're already following all the usual tips on saving money at the grocery store and you suddenly find yourself needing to save even more, here's one way you can do it.

If you're trying to save money on the meals you cook, and of course, I know you are, I bet you're using a lot of chicken and hamburger. Now, nothing is wrong with chicken and hamburger, but they can quickly become boring and bland. That's where your seasonings come into play.

To spice up those plain-Jane meats, you need to spice them up. Doing this, however, can add up. A package of seasoning doesn't appear to cost a great deal of money, but break the cost down and you'll be shocked to see how much you are actually paying. Here's a clue -- pound for pound, it's as expensive as steak.

To drastically slash these prices, you really need to begin making your own seasonings. For example, a package of McCormick Chili powder costs up to $2.39 while the same amount you can make yourself is $0.18. Pretty good, huh?

So what kind of seasonings can you make? Here's a list to get you started.

-- Chili Powder
-- Chinese Five-Spice Powder
-- Curry Powder
-- Emeril's Essence
-- Creole Seasoning
-- Fajita Mix
-- Garam Masala
-- Italian Spice
-- Jamaican Jerk
-- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
-- Lemon Pepper
-- Mrs. Dash
-- Mulling Spice
-- Old Bay Seasoning
-- Paul Prudhomme Seasoning
-- Paula Deen's House Seasoning
-- Poultry Seasoning
-- Pumpkin Pie Spice
-- Shake and Bake
-- Taco Seasoning

By searching the Internet, you can easily find recipes for all these seasonings. All you have to do is mix up your batches, store in airtight containers, label and you're ready to save money on seasonings big time.

consumertip.com
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by mamagee3(f): 7:28pm On Dec 28, 2009
Food are not expensive in the country I live in. tongue
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by SeanT21(f): 3:19am On Dec 29, 2009
OMO IBO:

I've seen people put bread in the freezer but i'm not too sure if thats good practice.

@ topic,

100% true. Shopping on a hungry stomach can make you spend.
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT21:

100% true. Shopping on a hungry stomach can make you spend.

I am always a victim of that
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2010
Re: How To Save Money On Food! by shilling(f): 6:11am On Jan 31, 2010
Epi:

not necessarily.  You can still eat the bread days after the expiration date, once it's good.  The expiration date is for the grocery to get rid of it.  We have eggs in the refrigerator 2 weeks after the expiration date and using them. The jug milk, I'll go 2 days after the expiration once it's good.  The only thing I don't play around with, is can stuff (I respect the expiration date)

I agree with you, I usually go 2 days after the expiration date for most pastries.

iice:

yeah storing bread in the freezer saves one more.

Yep. But, you have to have a microwave unless you dont mind eating cold bread (stating the obvious).

OMO IBO:

@ topic,

Soooo true.

I think shopping with a purpose really helps. Make a list, stick to it. When I go to a store, esp Walmart with tons of food, I don't go wondering around the food section, if I don't have a list with things I need to buy, I get what I came for and head out. It goes without saying, that you'll find stuff you'll want to buy, that you probably don't need to.

(1) (Reply)

Lacasera Beverage / Guess How Much My Mum Bought This 10 Seeds Of Palm Fruit Sized Tomatoes / Where Can I Buy Bags Of Periwinkle Very Cheap In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.