Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,915 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? (18861 Views)

NPF Releases List Of Shortlisted Applicants For 2018 Recruitment / Real Reason Why NPF Recruitment Of 10,000 Personnels Is Taking Too Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Boldstar(m): 11:17am On Dec 07, 2016
Yesternight, I decided to check the nairaland FP topics as usual before I go to bed. I saw the topic that says NPF recruitment list is out. Relunctantly, with the mind that the exercise was a sham like the other gov't recruitment exercises this year, I clicked on the link to check the list. Voila, I saw my name gbagada shocked. I thought I was dreaming because I knew no one nor did I give my details to anyone.

I immediately checked the name of my friend who knew a former IG and the personal aide to a present AIG. Alas, his name was not there cry. Everyone who knew him already thought he'd be selected because of the way the police treated him well at the screening exercise. He was intelligent and he 'knew people'. But he wasn't selected.

This morning I also heard many other people giving testimony that they knew no one but got selected. The report was that the selection was strictly through merit. If it continues this way, the best people for the job will be chosen and the result can only be progress.

This led to my question. My people, na true say we country don dey change for good?

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by iyzeek(m): 11:20am On Dec 07, 2016
obviously, I agree with you.

27 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by DMM007(m): 11:27am On Dec 07, 2016
I got the same shock too ma brother, i was reluctant to check because of the usual ways things used to go previously. Honestly I spoke to no one about any favor because i didn't even know who to talk to, but i was among the first 5 selected in my state. Thank God for His Mercy and Favor, IT CAN ONLY BE GOD!

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:40am On Dec 07, 2016
@ Boldstar: It has to do with the person at the helms of affairs. Some Heads of government establishments leave little or no room for merit. I don't know who is in charge of recruitment into the police, PSC or IG, whoever he is or they are, they have proved to Nigerians that it is possible to secure a government job without one having a "long leg". I hope others will learn from this.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Boldstar(m): 11:44am On Dec 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
@ Boldstar: It has to do with the person at the helms of affairs. Some Heads of government establishments leave little or no room for merit. I don't know who is in charge of recruitment into the police, PSC or IG, whoever he is or they are, they have proved to Nigerians that it is possible to secure a government job without one having a "long leg". I hope others will learn from this.

I really hope so too. It is a big step in restoring the faith most Nigerians have lost in Nigeria

10 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by malton: 1:34pm On Dec 07, 2016
Lol.

First off, congrats on your successful enlistment, OP.

Note, however, that this does not in the slightest way indicates that Nigeria is headed in the right direction.

Thing is, irrespective of how greedy a man is, he doesn't toy with his safety. Much as having it all to him self is a goal all those gluttons share in common, they usually go for the best hands when it comes to their safety.

Case in point: When it comes to hiring a pilot, expertise and experience trumps all else, including religion and ethnicity. This is because they are very well aware that no matter how well your tribesman means for you, chances are that he may crash you someday if he has limited knowledge in such areas.

As a matter of fact, them hiring the best brains is an indication of continuing corruption. grin

They have felt the heat much more lately, so, have come to realize the importance of security in their kleptocratic lives. This is a demonstration of their desire to feel even more secure than the Fort Knox so that they can enjoy the proceeds of their loot in peace.

If not;

Why didn't merit matter when it came to CBN and FIRS?

Why have their kit and kin been employed into FIRS, and are on their second salaries while others have yet to be called for interviews?

Why do their children still get jobs to which openings weren't advertised?

Why do government officials fall over themselves when it comes to securing juicy appointments for their wards?

Millions of questions to ask, but the long and short of the story is that, the number of thieves and potential thieves has increased exponentially, hence the need to hire the children of the poor who have a reputation of being focused on the job to guard over they and theirs.

Your case is the positive effect of a bad practice. And I'm happy for you!

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Boldstar(m): 2:18pm On Dec 07, 2016
malton:
Lol.

First off, congrats on your successful enlistment, OP.

Note, however, that this does not in the slightest way indicates that Nigeria is headed in the right direction.

Thing is, irrespective of how greedy a man is, he doesn't toy with his safety. Much as having it all to him self is a goal all those gluttons share in common, they usually go for the best hands when it comes to their safety.

Case in point: When it comes to hiring a pilot, expertise and experience trumps all else, including religion and ethnicity. This is because they are very well aware that no matter how well your tribesman means for you, chances are that he may crash you someday if he has limited knowledge in such areas.

As a matter of fact, them hiring the best brains is an indication of continuing corruption. grin

They have felt the heat much more lately, so, have come to realize the importance of security in their kleptocratic lives. This is a demonstration of their desire to feel even more secure than the Fort Knox so that they can enjoy the proceeds of their loot in peace.

If not;

Why didn't merit matter when it came to CBN and FIRS?

Why have their kit and kin been employed into FIRS, and are on their second salaries while others have yet to be called for interviews?

Why do their children still get jobs to which openings weren't advertised?

Why do government officials fall over themselves when it comes to securing juicy appointments for their wards?

Millions of questions to ask, but the long and short of the story is that, the number of thieves and potential thieves has increased exponentially, hence the need to hire the children of the poor who have a reputation of being focused on the job to guide they and theirs.

Your case is the positive effect of a bad practice. And I'm happy for you!

Another perspective, one which I cannot disagree with. I have been thinking why every recruitment does this year was 'the usual Nigerian way' while the NPF recruitment wasn't. FIRS, CBN, even Airforce were all shams. There was no way someone who didn't know 'anyone' could have been selected. Where is the hope for the common man? Without using merit to pick candidates for school admission or job employment, this country will keep going in circles. So the big men and madams put their children in juicy jobs like CBN and FIRS while they allow merit employment for the jobs that will protect those with juicy jobs. cry There is God

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by PatrickOkunima(m): 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2016
@ malton:

What you've written up there is very far from reality. The "unconnected" got a chance because the man at the helms of affairs is principled. It's as simple as that. If he decides to do otherwise, nobody will question him.

What makes one an exceptional soldier or policeman is not intelligence but bravery, which we have no means of measuring. If you're appointed to recruit men into either of the organizations, the best you can do is to subject the applicants to some form of physical and mental tests. Those who scale through will then be assesses medically. Note that the primary essence of the medical test is to screen out applicants who may not be able to cope with the training as a result of their medical history or condition. Ability to perform in service is secondary consideration. The training is very very rigorous, especially military. I know because I have passed through one. You won't survive if you're not medically fit. That's why I always emphasize that if one is screened out on medical grounds, the best thing to do is to forget about the force and move ahead. If you try to involve your godfather, you may be endangering your life.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by malton: 3:12pm On Dec 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
@ malton:

What you've written up there is very far from reality. The "unconnected" got a chance because the man at the helms of affairs is principled. It's as simple as that. If he decides to do otherwise, nobody will question him.

What makes one an exceptional soldier or policeman is not intelligence but bravery, which we have no means of measuring. If you're appointed to recruit men into either of the organizations, the best you can do is to subject the applicants to some form of physical and mental tests. Those who scale through will then be assesses medically. Note that the primary essence of the medical test is to screen out applicants who may not be able to cope with the training as a result of their medical history or condition. Ability to perform in service is secondary consideration. The training is very very rigorous, especially military. I know because I have passed through one. You won't survive if you're not medically fit. That's why I always emphasize that if one is screened out on medical grounds, the best thing to do is to forget about the force and move ahead. If you try to involve your godfather, you may be endangering your life.

Your point is well argued out.

I cannot rule out this occurring due to the principled nature of the Oga at the top as you claim. However, one must realize that in Nigeria, the bigwigs somehow always have their way.

The system is often rigged to have their kids not participate in such rigorous exercises.

It could be right either way, but what I choose to believe is that they do not deem the police force good enough for their kids, so would rather not force them through.

It may not be true for everyone else, but a majority of their kids didn't even bother applying. At least, I've spoken with a good number of individuals who don't rate the NPF highly enough. Besides, I know a couple who turned down slots offered them citing they preferred the NAF instead.

Keep that same man in say the Nigerian Customs, Immigration, Airforce, Navy, Army, etc., and watch the difference unfold right before your eyes.

Asides those who have a passion for the force, some of them often enlist for the NPF because "the desirable is unavailable." A possibility which the vast number of illegal employments made this year has greatly reduced.

Why force it when you don't even care?

I was only whittling down the assertion that this may mark the beginning of a change; which obviously isn't the case.

So if in any case merit was followed, and not because not many of the connected applied, then, that's because they need more protection in the face of the growing insecurity in the land.

14 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Emmysteve(m): 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2016
That police conducted their recruitment based on merit does not in any way translates for change in Nigeria as a whole. How about Civil Defense and the rest that will never even allow you to try as everything is done in secret.

5 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by tempest01(m): 4:18pm On Dec 07, 2016
NNPC, CBN, FIRS etc no good for una...na NPF dem give una.

NDIC illegals soon too.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by saintsylve(m): 4:24pm On Dec 07, 2016
Humm, congrats op. You know Nigeria will continue to be a funny nation.
I praised them for the Npower , until a family member brought a snapshot of an NCE holder shortlisted for the program. A lot of questions scaled through my mind, But they were strictly required to fill the NYSC number?, How come?
My friends, they told me this is Nigeria. So op to some extents, there was little transparency.

1 Like

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Nutase: 4:32pm On Dec 07, 2016
I don't believe anything has changed. NPF is no more desirable because the 10,000 they are recruiting will end up in boko haram infested zones.
I will only believe that Nigeria has changed if FIRS, NDIC, CBN, Federal civil service and all the lucrative govt agencies start recruiting on merit.
The last CBN, NDIC and FIRS recruitment under Buhari were done in secret.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by djlawex02(m): 7:08pm On Dec 07, 2016
May Be Op Is Enlisted As A Constable, Because That's The Only Rank They Left For You People.

7 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by lollmaolol(m): 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2016
Propaganda!!!

12 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
@ malton:

What happened to principles during the CBN and FIRS "targeted" recruitment?

6 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:30pm On Dec 07, 2016
SnowJay92:

What happened to principles during the CBN and FIRS "targeted" recruitment?
I wasn't referring to PMB, but the person who oversaw the police recruitment.

2 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by macfish101(m): 10:37pm On Dec 07, 2016
after all said and done......do not forget that the police is your friend na lie......

1 Like

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
I wasn't referring to PMB, but the person who oversaw the police recruitment.

I wasn't referring to anybody either, read my comment again. Just saying the guy's conspiracy theory isn't so out of context.

4 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by ajisebioyo1(m): 11:12pm On Dec 07, 2016
Did you apply for Asp position or ssce? That is where the question comes in

7 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by hushyp(m): 11:31pm On Dec 07, 2016
Boldstar:
Yesternight, I decided to check the nairaland FP topics as usual before I go to bed. I saw the topic that says NPF recruitment list is out. Relunctantly, with the mind that the exercise was a sham like the other gov't recruitment exercises this year, I clicked on the link to check the list. Voila, I saw my name gbagada shocked. I thought I was dreaming because I knew no one nor did I give my details to anyone. I immediately checked the name of my friend who knew a former IG and the personal aide to a present AIG. Alas, his name was not there cry. Everyone who knew him already thought he'd be selected because of the way the police treated him well at the screening exercise. He was intelligent and he 'knew people'. But he wasn't selected. This morning I also heard many other people giving testimony that they knew no one but got selected. The report was that the selection was strictly through merit. If it continues this way, the best people for the job will be chosen and the result can only be progress.
You were selected for recruitment As A Recruit, shine your eye

This led to my question. My people, na true say we country don dey change for good?
Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Nobody: 3:48am On Dec 08, 2016
ajisebioyo1:
Did you apply for Asp position or ssce? That is where the question comes in
Lolz, allow them to keep dreaming my brother ...

1 Like

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 08, 2016
grin
Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by freemanbubble: 9:36am On Dec 08, 2016
ok
Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by ItsawrapOutfit: 9:39am On Dec 08, 2016
maybe
Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by jmoore(m): 9:40am On Dec 08, 2016
A sign of true change is when police men stop extorting money from motorists.

A sign of true change is when police men stop killing innocent civilians under the guise of 'accidental discharge'.

5 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by Onechancearmy(m): 9:41am On Dec 08, 2016
I will wait until I see the outcome of Central Bank and EFCC recruitment before I make up my mind.

2 Likes

Re: Is The NPF Recruitment A Real Sign Of Nigeria Truly Changing? by magicminister: 9:42am On Dec 08, 2016
Good!
I hope people like you will effect the much needed reform needed in the NPF
If not, i wish you hot lead to the head!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ever Gotten A Job Through Your House Of Reps Member Or Senator? / Can One Do Customer's Service Job Remotely From Nigeria? / Nigeria Ports Authority Recruitment Commences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.