Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,061 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam (4922 Views)

Ruling On Using Drugs (marijuana) To Ease Pain / Ruling On Masturbation (See also Health Hazard) / Cousin Marriage in Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by balash(m): 7:46am On Dec 09, 2016
Keeping and raising pets is something that is permitted in Islam and there is nothing wrong with it. 

Al-Bukhaari (6203) and Muslim (2150) narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was the best of people in attitude. I had a brother who was called Abu ‘Umayr. He (the narrator) said: I think he said: He was a weanling. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and saw him, he said: “Abu ‘Umayr, what happened to the nughayr (nightingale)?” He used to play with it. 

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:  

It indicates that it is permissible for children to play with birds, and it is permissible to spend money on permissible things that will entertain children, and it is permissible to keep birds in cages and the like, and to clip the wings of birds, because one or the other must have been done in the case of Abu ‘Umayr’s bird, and whichever is the case, the other comes under the same ruling. End quote.

Fath al-Baari (10/584). 

With regard to the conditions and guidelines on keeping animals, these include the following: 

The animal that is kept should not be a dog, because Islam has forbidden keeping dogs except guard dogs and hunting dogs.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3225) and Muslim (2106). Would the Muslim be happy for the angels of mercy not to accompany him in his house because of an animal he is keeping? 

Not going so far with regard to this matter that it reaches the stage of blameworthy extravagance. We have seen some people who pay thousands and even millions competing to buy a certain animal or take care of it and provide services for it. Some of them even bequeath some of their wealth to them. In some countries there are festivals and shows for all kinds of animals, on which huge amounts of money are spent. All of this is foolishness and lack of common sense. 

The animal must be treated kindly. If a Muslim keeps an animal, he must provide it with proper food and drink, and not cause it any harm or injury by mistreating it or using it for target practice or making animals fight one another, or exposing it to heat or cold. It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whilst a man was walking on the road, he became very thirsty. He found a well so he went down into it and drank, then he came out. There he saw a dog that was panting and biting the ground out of thirst. The man said: this dog is feeling the same thirst that I felt. So he went back down into the well and filled his shoe with water, then he held it in his mouth until he climbed back up, and he gave the water to the dog. Allaah appreciated (his action) and forgave him.” They said: O Messenger of Allaah, will we have reward with regard to these animals? He said: “In every living thing there is reward.” 

Look at how the believer will be rewarded for taking care of animals; rather he may even enter Paradise because of his kind treatment of a single animal, as happened to the man mentioned in this hadeeth. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, loves those who do good. 

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us of a woman who went to Hell because of her neglect of a cat which she detained and it died of hunger; she did not feed it or let it go and eat of the vermin of the earth.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by balash(m): 7:47am On Dec 09, 2016
CC: Sissie Mukina2
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by bazzyblings: 11:20am On Dec 09, 2016
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by Goldenprinz(m): 11:21am On Dec 09, 2016
Oh
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by Ahmed0336(m): 11:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Jazak Allahu Khairan
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by laskay44(m): 11:28am On Dec 09, 2016
Allah Aqbar

iamlaskaylasgidi
Muslim soul
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 09, 2016
jazakumullah khairan OP.

I love dogs. ..I am a bit sad embarassed

jumat mubarak
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by lawalosky(m): 11:35am On Dec 09, 2016
balash:
Keeping and raising pets is something that is permitted in Islam and there is nothing wrong with it. 

Al-Bukhaari (6203) and Muslim (2150) narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was the best of people in attitude. I had a brother who was called Abu ‘Umayr. He (the narrator) said: I think he said: He was a weanling. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and saw him, he said: “Abu ‘Umayr, what happened to the nughayr (nightingale)?” He used to play with it. 

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:  

It indicates that it is permissible for children to play with birds, and it is permissible to spend money on permissible things that will entertain children, and it is permissible to keep birds in cages and the like, and to clip the wings of birds, because one or the other must have been done in the case of Abu ‘Umayr’s bird, and whichever is the case, the other comes under the same ruling. End quote.

Fath al-Baari (10/584). 

With regard to the conditions and guidelines on keeping animals, these include the following: 

The animal that is kept should not be a dog, because Islam has forbidden keeping dogs except guard dogs and hunting dogs.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3225) and Muslim (2106). Would the Muslim be happy for the angels of mercy not to accompany him in his house because of an animal he is keeping? 

Not going so far with regard to this matter that it reaches the stage of blameworthy extravagance. We have seen some people who pay thousands and even millions competing to buy a certain animal or take care of it and provide services for it. Some of them even bequeath some of their wealth to them. In some countries there are festivals and shows for all kinds of animals, on which huge amounts of money are spent. All of this is foolishness and lack of common sense. 

The animal must be treated kindly. If a Muslim keeps an animal, he must provide it with proper food and drink, and not cause it any harm or injury by mistreating it or using it for target practice or making animals fight one another, or exposing it to heat or cold. It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whilst a man was walking on the road, he became very thirsty. He found a well so he went down into it and drank, then he came out. There he saw a dog that was panting and biting the ground out of thirst. The man said: this dog is feeling the same thirst that I felt. So he went back down into the well and filled his shoe with water, then he held it in his mouth until he climbed back up, and he gave the water to the dog. Allaah appreciated (his action) and forgave him.” They said: O Messenger of Allaah, will we have reward with regard to these animals? He said: “In every living thing there is reward.” 

Look at how the believer will be rewarded for taking care of animals; rather he may even enter Paradise because of his kind treatment of a single animal, as happened to the man mentioned in this hadeeth. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, loves those who do good. 

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us of a woman who went to Hell because of her neglect of a cat which she detained and it died of hunger; she did not feed it or let it go and eat of the vermin of the earth. 
masha Allah
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by Certitude(m): 11:43am On Dec 09, 2016

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by QuietHammer(m): 12:06pm On Dec 09, 2016
Up next. Islamic rule on taking a shit_ cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by Tajbol4splend(m): 12:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
I don't think I've ever had a sentiment for any pets but I'd have loved goats if they were pets, I used to let them lean on me when I was young even though I knew I'd have to bath immediately I was done with them, love their beautiful skin colors
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by walelamina: 12:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
JAZAKUNLAH FOR THE POST, JUMAH MUBARAQ TO ALL THE MUSLIM BRETHEN IN THE WORLD, HAVE YOU RECITED YOUR SURATUL KAHF TODAY?

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by slimcious(m): 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2016
Is it a sin to keep dog? Or it's just about the Angel
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by adedehinbo(m): 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2016
slimcious:
Is it a sin to keep dog? Or it's just about the Angel
yes it's except guard or hunting dogs
Re: Ruling On Keeping Pets In Islam by xage(m): 5:48pm On Dec 09, 2016
Keeping Dog is impermissible not just about the Angels not entering your house. Dogs has been known to be dangerous to human,kills owner sometimes..also the saliva is not healthy like the likes of Cat which is harmless.

I love Dogs too. Used to hunt grasscutters and antelope with Dogs in my teenage while..it was fun...but i won't keep dog as pet or house guard.

The wisdom of Allah our creator surpasses any human excuses or reasoning to keep dog as pet.

(1) (Reply)

Dua You Can Recite Before Driving / Event Of Ghadir Khumm - Nabi Appointed Ali As Mawla / Dealing With The Fitnah (temptation) Of Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.