Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,058 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? (5433 Views)

Praying Obligatory Salah Behind One Who Is Praying Nawaafil / Is It Obligatory To Inform A Suitor Of A Possible Health Problem? / Is It Obligatory To Obey A Ruler Who Doesn't Rule According To Book Of Allah? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by MDsambo: 10:59am On Dec 09, 2016
I'm once a follower of the Tharikh-Al-Tijjiniya, but now I'm not a Sunni,Sufi or Shia follower I'm just a Muslim. So is it an obligatory to follow any denomination?

Pls your answers should be from the Qur'an or Hadith.

1 Like

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by 9inches(m): 11:26am On Dec 09, 2016
Follow the footsteps of prophet muhammad or any denomination that best does so, you will be fine.

By the way, you gave no reason as to why you chose to take such decision.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by vanshwerz: 12:06pm On Dec 09, 2016
A Muslim has no sect, he Follows the sayings and footsteps of the noble prophet.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by kaycious: 12:20pm On Dec 09, 2016
the best thing to do is to practice islam in its pure state. as a muslim is best to seek for knowledge about Allah before worshipping Him. and the knowledge about Allah is best seek through the doctrine of our noble Prophet Muhammad. most followers of islamic donomination now adays place more priority to the founding founders of such denomination rather than Allah subhanahu ta alah.
in conclusion, Worship your God As if you are seeing him and have taqwa of Allah in all ur dealings

7 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by Shafiiimran99: 12:24pm On Dec 09, 2016
Just be a Muslim that is what your lord called you. To be a Muslim means you summit totally to all the commandments of Allah and his prophet from the Qur'an and sunnah like; to leave your bear, cutting your trousers or lower wear above ankle for male while female believe in hijab, no hair attachment etc.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by walelamina: 12:30pm On Dec 09, 2016
JUST BE A MUSLIM AND FOLLOW HIS PATH

1 Like

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 09, 2016
MDsambo:
I'm once a follower of the Tharikh-Al-Tijjiniya, but now I'm not a Sunni,Sufi or Shia follower I'm just a Muslim. So is it an obligatory to follow any denomination?

Yeah you must belong to a denomination. And this is the sect you should follow. (The Islam itself).

O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result. [Quran 4:59]

And, [moreover], this is My path, which is straight, so follow it; and do not follow [other] ways, or you will be separated from His way. This has He instructed you that you may become righteous. Qur'an 6:159

This is the way. So don't deceive you yourself.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by Hash86(m): 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2016
It's not obligatory at all! But a true believer must have an 'aqeeda' to which he wighs his deeds. Because you cannot practise religion on you understanding alone you have to look at the view

2 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by wallmosh: 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
MDsambo:

May Allah preserve you and I on His goodness.

Guidance is from Allah, and He gave path to it through His Book, following the traditions of His prophet with the understanding of rightly guided companions

2 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by jahsharon: 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2016
MDsambo:

My friend, carry this nonsense go far jooorrr. I am a Muslim. I do not know what you call denomination is Islam. If you see too many church names around you and you got confused better go to T.B. Joshua for spiritual cleansing. There are no denominations is Islam. Only groups, no denomination.

Ma Sallam.

1 Like

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by Nasman(m): 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2016
To best of my understanding there is no denomination in Islam. Only just groups. Plus, the difference is between them is very little. I came from a family where my Dad is a Dariqa member, my Mum is an Izala, my elder Bro is a Shi'a and am just a Muslim who doesn't believe in group. I stick to Qur'an and Hadith, as my primary source of guidance.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by Hash86(m): 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2016
It's not obligatory at all! But a true believer must have an 'aqeeda' to which he wighs his deeds. Because you cannot practise religion on you understanding alone you have to look at the views of other scholars. Islamic laws are based on holy Quran, hadith and ijtima'a, and latter which is ijtima'a is based on the understanding (with backup or proof from Quran and hadith) of khulufaur rashideen and uluma'a(Islamic scholars) and the uluma'as understandings varies and each have his proof from the Holy book and hadith. So you from this introduction, one must follow at least one of the uluma'as view unless if he's an uluma'a too.
If I may recommend a sect or denomination for you I would have said follow Ahlussunna Wal Jama'a. Because in Ahlussunna you don't have to joint religious body, no initiation or introduction and you don't have to follow any sheikh, whatever comes your way you just wigh it with the Holy Quran, hadith and ijtima'a of khulufa{sahaba} if it contradict these three fundamentals you discard it period.
Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 09, 2016
Surah 6 (Al An'am)

159. Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects) , you (O Muhammad ) have no concern in them in the least. Their affair is only with Allah, Who then will tell them what they used to do.

Almighty ALLAH to the Holy Prophet (PBUH)
Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by drlateeph(m): 5:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
السلام عليكم، according to the holy prophet (saw)at the end of time, the Jews will form into seventy one denominations, the Christians into seventy two denominations, and the Muslim ummah as well will form into seventy three denominations...all the 71's of the jew, the 72's of the christian, and of course 72 among the 73's of the Muslim - all will enter hellfire except the remaining one of the muslims. the sahabahs ask about which sect will be free from hell, and the prophet (saw) said: those who base their ibadaat on what myself and my sahabah base ours as of today...conclusively there are already denominations in islam, and the only one that meets the prophet's (saw) requirement is the sunni sects, because they base on the kitab, and sunnatur rasuul... والله اعلى واعلم.
Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by blantyre: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2016
MDsambo:

My brother, I concur with what most of the other brothers say that there is no denomination in Islam. At present I do most of the acts of worship that are known to sufism and Tijjaniyya in particular and I don't consider myself out of tune with Islam bcoz of that, why, because all those acts are in line with the principles of Islam. Think of them is it recitation of istigfar, hailala or salat upon the prophet. I believe I do not worship any sheikh rather I accords him respect. What I have come to realized is that the ways of sufism encourages one to remember Allah at all times to the extent that the litanies are made more or less obligatory to you. The emphasis on the remembrance of Allah is not meant for the benefit of any sheikh but you yourself. No matter what path I follow sufism has inculcate in me the lofty habit of remembering Allah, qiraatul Quran and seeking forgiveness that I can't imagine myself staying for at times even two hours without remembering Allah's name. So that is the beauty of it what matters is the end not necessarily the means. Hadith of the prophet said a dweller of paradise will only regret one thing, time that passed without him remembering the name of Allah. And another hadith said The prophet SAW admonished us to keep our tongues moist with the remembrance of Allah. So sufi path are fashioned to achieve those ends. So they are not denominations and all can attest to the fact that sufi adherents remember Allah most, do istigfar most, recite the Quran most name them. And even if you are not one, once people notice you doing these things they will just assume you are sufist. So it is ignorance to think sufists are doing sth not in line with the principles of Islam
Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by AbooTasleemah1(m): 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2016
You have no obligations to belong to any denomination as you asked but you're obligated to follow the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (salaLlaahu 'alayhi wasalam) coz it was reported in an hadeeth that the Prophet (salaLlaahu' alayhi wasalam) said "Everyone of my ummah (Nation ;congregation) will enter jannah except those who refuse. He was asked; 'who will refuse' He (salaLlaahu 'alayhi wasalam) said whoever obeys me shall enter jannah and Whosoever disobeys me refuses to enter jannah [ Reported by Al imam Bukhaari].

Following the prophet in all aspect of the deen is non-negotiable, following him is termed as his sunnah, those who follows this sunnah are called Ahlus-sunnah (People of Sunnah) they are also tagged different types of cognomen or sobriquet or like "Ashabus-sunnah, Salafi and the likes. These epithet are nothing beyond what they are, they're just normal Muslims who doesn't want to dilute their Creed and belief with what's not from Islam which the prophet taught.
Re: Is It Obligatory To Be A Follower Of Any Denomination? by udatso: 11:17am On Dec 18, 2016
blantyre:

My brother, I concur with what most of the other brothers say that there is no denomination in Islam. At present I do most of the acts of worship that are known to sufism and Tijjaniyya in particular and I don't consider myself out of tune with Islam bcoz of that, why, because all those acts are in line with the principles of Islam. Think of them is it recitation of istigfar, hailala or salat upon the prophet. I believe I do not worship any sheikh rather I accords him respect. What I have come to realized is that the ways of sufism encourages one to remember Allah at all times to the extent that the litanies are made more or less obligatory to you. The emphasis on the remembrance of Allah is not meant for the benefit of any sheikh but you yourself. No matter what path I follow sufism has inculcate in me the lofty habit of remembering Allah, qiraatul Quran and seeking forgiveness that I can't imagine myself staying for at times even two hours without remembering Allah's name. So that is the beauty of it what matters is the end not necessarily the means. Hadith of the prophet said a dweller of paradise will only regret one thing, time that passed without him remembering the name of Allah. And another hadith said The prophet SAW admonished us to keep our tongues moist with the remembrance of Allah. So sufi path are fashioned to achieve those ends. So they are not denominations and all can attest to the fact that sufi adherents remember Allah most, do istigfar most, recite the Quran most name them. And even if you are not one, once people notice you doing these things they will just assume you are sufist. So it is ignorance to think sufists are doing sth not in line with the principles of Islam
I would have ignored any other thing I might have disagreed with but not this cos it's obviously wrong. In Islam, both the end and means matter. Just because doing zikr is an acceptable and recommended act of ibadah. But this does not mean that Mr A will then form a habit of sittig in an open field when the sun is at its peak and start to do zikr. That is why we have many kaifiyyat. You don't pray any how you want and say it's the end that justifies the means. If that was the case, Islam would have just been WORSHIP ALLAH ANYHOW YOU WANT.
I hope you don't make this mistake again

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Seek Forgiveness Today Before It Is Too Late / The Shia Versus Sunni Debates Are Getting Very Ridiculous / Iranian Muslim Saw Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.