Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,228 members, 7,825,890 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire (1077 Views)

Tecno C9 Pro Sale 25k 32gb 3gb Ram / I Need Scrap Tecno C9 Phone / Brand New Tecno C9 For SALE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by wemeri: 12:19pm On Dec 09, 2016
Apparently, Techno C9 phones has joined the league of mobile phones catching fire.
Yesterday, Thursday, 8th December, At about 12 noon while in the office, I realized that the battery of my recently purchased Tecno C9 phone was at 32% so as I always do, I plugged to the electric outlet beside my table.
After about one hour, I remembered that I was supposed to have received a phone call I was expecting and I decided to confirm if my phone wasn’t on silent mode. As soon as I picked up my phone, a very strong smell of electric burn hit my nose and the phone was very hot. In an attempt to disconnect the charger, the cable came off completely burnt leaving the head of the charger still inside the charging port of the phone. I had to wait a while for the phone to cool off before I was able to pull out the remaining part of the charger from the phone.
Apparently, the charger had been melting into the phone. It was a good thing that I checked the phone at the time I did, otherwise the damage would have been worse. Upon further investigation, I realized that it was only the charging port and the mouthpiece that had been affected by the burn.
This incident brings into remembrance stories on the internet about houses being burnt down as a result of a charging phone placed on a bed. And I would forever be grateful to God that is happened in my office and not at home as I sometime place my phone on my bed while it is charging.

My Experience at the Tecno Service Center

Today, Friday, 9th Dec,2016. I went to the CarlCare center on 125, Amodu Ojikutu, Victoria Island. Apparently, they are the exclusive authorized service center of Tecno, Infinix, Itel and Syinix devices.
On getting there, I was attended to by a lady at the reception called Bukola and after explaining to her, she went on to carry on her investigation and came back to tell me that it was a physical damage incident and I had to pay for the damaged parts to be fixed.
I was seriously disappointed by this considering that my phone as at the time of this incident, my phone was being charged in my office which also houses and provides power to several huge telecoms devices. And aside from my phone, no other devices or phones used by my colleagues had electrical fault.
I asked for a policy document which stated clearly how factory defects where being differentiated from physical damages and she directed me to a board in the reception. Upon going thru the information on the board, I realized that they was no mention of electrical burn as a physical damage.
So I insisted on refusing to accept it as a physical damage but rather a factory defect. Bukola , thereafter, referred me up to a higher person, a lady named “Rotimi” who I found out was in charge of the center. After explaining myself once again to Rotimi, she responded ( with not even the slightest remorse) that since I insist that it is a factory defect, she would have to refer me to their head office in Opebi as they don’t deal with factory defect cases here in their VI office.
This particular action, I sincerely believe was a deliberate act to punish me for refusing to accept it was a physical damage and just pay up for the request because I do not want to believe that all factory defect cases brought to the VI center are sent to the Opebi HQ and I seriously take this as an offence to my person as a customer.
Tecno and Carlcare really need to begin to treat their customers better. They cannot expect us to pay for their errors. It isn’t done anywhere in the world and I refuse to accept that sort of treatment in Nigeria.
I would be visiting the Opebi office tomorrow and I sincerely hope that their customer service is way better that what I experienced in the VI branch.

UPDATE

In the last post, a lot of people mentioned the possibility of it being a current surged issue. As much as I agree with them on the likelihood of this, I particularly believe that incident wasn't as a result of current surge.

I am an engineer, currently working with a telecoms firm. There are high end telecoms devices which also feed from the same power source as my phone and up till now, the facilities management guys have not reported any power surge in the companies power supply on that day also, none of the devices was shut down or even had a fluctuation on that day.

Incidentally,i also have 2 colleagues who also use the Techno C9 in my office and both of them had their phones plugged in at the same time as mine and didn't experience any issues with their phones.

All of this and some more investigations carried out made me come to the conclusion that it was a manufacturers defect on my phone.

I know my saying that my phone caught fire might have seemed like an exaggeration but with the situation and temperature that it was when it was discovered, there is no better way that i could have explained it.

Firstly, i was lucky to have seen it at the time that i did, (I still believe it was divine intervention) , and i was able to rescued it before it got worse. If you look closely at the picture, you would notice that the back cover of the phone was already melting. That showed that either the back cover was made with cheap plastic or the temperature of the burn was very high, enough to begin to melt the cover.

Also, the phone was placed on a non combustible surface which also helped minimise the extent of the burn. Imagine if it was place on a mattress, I am sure we would be telling a different story.

As planned, i visited the carlcare service center in opebi on Saturday and i confirmed that I was indeed being punished. the punishment was not in the stress of having to go to the office but rather in the quality of service being offered to customers by the organisation.
Apparently, VI guys are the good guys.
After interacting with the supervisor at the Opebi office as well as a couple of front desk attendants, I can confidently say that insensitivity to customer needs in addition to rudeness and arrogance is actually the organisations culture.

I wonder if it is because they are currently the only service center for tecno phones.

i look forward to other organisations coming up and giving them stiff competition.

In the end, i was "FORCED" to pay for the repairs of my phone without any concrete and valid reason as to why i have to and all because the company policy (which i was not privy to until that day) says i should.

I look forward to picking up my phone in good condition tomorrow.

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Enybliss(f): 12:23pm On Dec 09, 2016
my brother's c9 gets very hot often, like its gonna burst into flames, to make your story more credible you'll need to add pictures, anyways lemme call Lalasticlala
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Raph01: 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2016
embarassed embarassed See Me see wahala oo

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by wemeri: 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2016
Enybliss:
my brother's c9 gets very hot often, like its gonna burst into flames, to make your story more credible you'll need to add pictures, anyways lemme call Lalasticlala

I have added pictures.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by wemeri: 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2016
Raph01:
embarassed embarassed See Me see wahala oo

Hmmm

Serious Issue ooo
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 09, 2016
after sale service or customer service is not in Nigeria.
Advice for you sir. just pay for the repairs

1 Like

Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by thegame(m): 9:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
Even Tecno?

Wow, obviously those personnel were trying to frustrate you.

I think you should just keep publicizing this and considering that I plan on buying one of their phantoms as a gift this December, I better just stay away o.

Which phone is now safe to use? I wonder!
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by adefemi007(m): 11:06pm On Dec 09, 2016
this must make fp
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by winzy(m): 12:29am On Dec 13, 2016
Make I pack here first....
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by wemeri: 4:21pm On Dec 13, 2016
winzy:
Make I pack here first....

Abeg pack well well oooo
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by osumak2: 6:05pm On Dec 13, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: To All Current And Prospective TECNO C9 Users - My Tecno C9 Phone Caught Fire by sisqology(m): 5:00am On Dec 14, 2016
I think what happened to you was a charger defect. The charger probably malfunctioned which caused excess heat on the port, whereas getting it burnt.

(1) (Reply)

Used Hp Probook 6465 14" Laptop -55k / Spy Camera In Fashion Eyeglasses In Nigeria By Hiphen Solutions / OCTOBER LAPTOP DEALS UPDATED!!! COME IN NOW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.