Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,420 members, 7,954,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:42 AM

The "African" Smell? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "African" Smell? (76759 Views)

Nollywood Is Preserving The African Film - Nigerian Films / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "African" Smell? by chiogo(f): 4:38am On Nov 19, 2009
^  LOL Not everyone sweats that much, especially in this weather.

Anyway, I prefer showering twice, I just don't see the biggie if one decides to shower at night and not in the morning, especially if you have to wake up 3 hrs later.  wink
Re: The "African" Smell? by oyinda3(f): 9:02am On Nov 21, 2009
lol. chiogo. the girl i'm talking about was smelling like ogbonno soup and something like that. that kind of smell made me hungry for some reason is why i appreciated it. but I pitied her because I don't want to be smelling up and down like that lol

@Uchenna, where do u live? in the cold, showering too often will just dry out your skin plus you are certainly not sweating as much in cold weather.
and if you're a student with early morning classes, showering at night is no biggie.
Re: The "African" Smell? by Secretz(f): 9:27pm On Nov 21, 2009
Please I hope people know there is a difference between Body Odour and a 'distinct smell'. I know when I land in naija at the airport, there is this 'distinct smell' and it is not necessarily body odour. Just like when I open my suitcase back in UK, it smells of 'Nigeria'.
Some people should carry go jor with 'african smell', have your nostrils never been insulted with that 'oyinbo smell'? Especially the ones who no fit bath for days and it's not BO they smell of, it's dirty skin.! undecided

1 Like

Re: The "African" Smell? by THEAMAKA3(f): 9:28pm On Nov 21, 2009
Secretz:

Please I hope people know there is a difference between Body Odour and a 'distinct smell'. I know when I land in naija at the airport, there is this 'distinct smell' and it is not necessarily body odour. Just like when I open my suitcase back in UK, it smells of 'Nigeria'.
Some people should carry go jor with 'african smell', have your nostrils never been insulted with that 'oyinbo smell'? Especially the ones who no fit bath for days and it's not BO they smell of, it's dirty skin.! undecided
thats the same exact thing i said.
i agree.
Re: The "African" Smell? by Nwaka77: 4:20pm On Nov 22, 2009
Secretz:

Exactly, well said.
Re: The "African" Smell? by davidif: 7:17am On Nov 23, 2009
jamie foxx once made fun of us in one of his comedy shows about his first visit to Africa and he was talking about the "African Smell".
Re: The "African" Smell? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:11pm On Nov 23, 2009
davidif:

jamie foxx once made fun of us in one of his comedy shows about his first visit to Africa and he was talking about the "African Smell".
to hell with jamie foxx, that dude is so ignorant at times even when he is tryna make a joke.

2 Likes

Re: The "African" Smell? by netotse(m): 3:05pm On Nov 23, 2009
Secretz:

the same way when you get back to naija from jand and yankee, your clothes have a "smell"
Re: The "African" Smell? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 23, 2009
Lmao @ Jamie Foxx cheesy

Anyone see his joke about African Flies? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The "African" Smell? by oyinda3(f): 11:13pm On Nov 23, 2009
Secretz:

yeah exactly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "African" Smell? by africhika(f): 6:41am On Nov 24, 2009
i just looked up jamie foxx's africa jokes. that boy is a trip! LOL
Re: The "African" Smell? by brooklyn99: 8:02am On Nov 25, 2009
I believe that, naturally, we as black people have a distinct odor (though not as bad as white or central americans, and nowhere as bad as asians----especially the chinese. hehehehehe). i used to smell the african/haitian cab drivers alot. but the day i knew that Nigerians had a certain odor was at a party in NY earlier this year. everyone was dressed to the T; lookn all classy and shit. but the moment u stepped in what hit u was how rancid the whole place stunk, i couldnt even try to talk to any gal in there.uuuuurrrrggggggghhhh!!!!!
Re: The "African" Smell? by platinumnk(f): 7:25am On Nov 26, 2009
i remember when i came back to the states and visited my friend (who is also Nigerian) he sniffed me and smiled

"Man u smell just like Nigeria" grin grin grin grin

Yes besides BO, Nigeria does have a smell, it stays all in your suitcases and stuff but I dont mind, its my home. cool

Though I've been trying to tell New Nigerians that come over to use Deodarants without offending them lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The "African" Smell? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 23, 2012
THE-AMAKA:

[size=18pt]to hell with jamie foxx[/size], that dude is so ignorant at times even when he is tryna make a joke.

grin grin
Re: The "African" Smell? by tpia5: 1:05am On Jan 25, 2012
Any smell you dont like, block your nose or remove yourself from the vicinity of the odour.

If that's not possible then keep hollering about it everywhere.

Any of those options is fine.
Re: The "African" Smell? by Zilja(f): 4:28am On Jan 25, 2012
brooklyn99:

I believe that, naturally, we as black people have a distinct odor

I think we as people have our own oder, it's call DNA. You can take the same perfume and spray it on two of three people and get two or three different smells.

I have a friend from Nigeria and he takes a bath up to three times a day. I know he wakes his kids up before school for a bath, when they come from school and once they get ready for bed. 

I only take a bath once a day and thats in the morning before I go to work. If I need to freshenup later in the day I will.
Re: The "African" Smell? by StarFlux: 8:50pm On Jan 25, 2012
i dnt think its as bad as a lot of people in here describe. pakistani/indian people smell because of their food, i dislike it a lot, but its their culture and one has to respect it. not to say i no dey react to it sometimes. however, havent una noticed that every home has a different "smell" to it? in your own house u dnt notice it. naija is naija, and nothings like home!
Re: The "African" Smell? by ifyalways(f): 10:45am On Jan 31, 2012
I think every color has its own distinct smell. . . Now wether the smell is pleasant or not is story for another day.
Re: The "African" Smell? by tpiander: 3:25am On Jan 21, 2015
Re: The "African" Smell? by DoctorYes(m): 4:04pm On Apr 11, 2020
Am a European man and am lucky to have a Nigerian lover. Can assure you all she smells wonderful!
Re: The "African" Smell? by josephrodri: 8:33am On Aug 31, 2023
In one of his comedic acts, Jamie Foxx once made fun of us when discussing his first trip to Africa and the "African Smell."
bloxd io

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / World's Loneliest Man Dies After Avoiding Contact From Humans For 30 Years(pix) / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.