Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,942 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow (4355 Views)

How To Calculate Number Of Blocks For Your Building Project In 2 Simple Steps. / Building Blocks!!! Building Blocks!!! Building Blocks For Sale Order Now. / Oil Blocks For Sale In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow by Nawaya: 7:56pm On Dec 15, 2016
Dear Naira Landers,

I urgently seek your considered and much-valued opinions on the practicality of building a house with 5-inch blocks.

I had this idea to develop a piece of land in Benin, some months ago, and completely left the block-making to a "trusted"and supposedly knowledgeable relative. Long story short, I ended up with about 4,000 blocks, all of 5 inch depth or thickness.

Now it's time to start the actual build, an architect tells me that using 5-inch blocks for the build would NOT make for a structurally sound building. Apparently, the 5 inch blocks are only good for fence-making.

I wonder if I could buy some 9 inch blocks for the footing and up to the DPC and then carrying on with the 5 inch blocks. No, I'm not building a two storey house - just a bungalow for family dwelling.

Your considered advice and opinions are welcome.
Re: 5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow by mufutau55(m): 8:14pm On Dec 15, 2016
Nawaya:
Dear Naira Landers,

I urgently seek your considered and much-valued opinions on the practicality of building a house with 5-inch blocks.

I had this idea to develop a piece of land in Benin, some months ago, and completely left the block-making to a "trusted"and supposedly knowledgeable relative. Long story short, I ended up with about 4,000 blocks, all of 5 inch depth or thickness.

Now it's time to start the actual build, an architect tells me that using 5-inch blocks for the build would NOT make for a structurally sound building. Apparently, the 5 inch blocks are only good for fence-making.

I wonder if I could buy some 9 inch blocks for the footing and up to the DPC and then carrying on with the 5 inch blocks. No, I'm not building a two storey house - just a bungalow for family dwelling.

Your considered advice and opinions are welcome.

Your Architect is right... use those 5 inch blocks for your fence if you haven't done the fence.
For bungalow with or without pillars I always prefer 9 inch hollow block on the outside wall and may be 6 inch inside for demarcations, but if you can go all the way with 9 inch hollow block it will be superb.
Many people also uses 6inch hollow blocks for bungalow but I personally prefer 9 inch blocks.
Just my unprofessional opinion.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: 5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow by Nawaya: 8:32pm On Dec 15, 2016
mufutau55:

Your Architect is right... use those 5 inch blocks for your fence if you haven't done the fence.
For bungalow with or without pillars I always prefer 9 inch hollow block on the outside wall and may be 6 inch inside for demarcations, but if you can go all the way with 9 inch hollow block it will be superb.
Many people also uses 6inch hollow blocks for bungalow but I personally prefer 9 inch blocks.
Just my unprofessional opinion.

Hajji M.

Thanks, Hajji, for that quick and kind response. If I understand your point, 5 inch blocks would be unsuitable even for the internal walls, right?
Re: 5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow by johnson232: 9:12pm On Dec 15, 2016
Nawaya:

Thanks, Hajji, for that quick and kind response. If I understand your point, 5 inch blocks would be unsuitable even for the internal walls, right?

u can use 5 inch block for internal walls...

i have seen many houses built with 5 inches block in benin recently, without 9inch on the exterior.

but it is safer structurally to use 9 inches on d exterior since it is 5inch.

if it were to be 6inch, u wouldn't be needing 9 inches.

1 Like

Re: 5-inch Blocks For A Bungalow by mufutau55(m): 10:03pm On Dec 15, 2016
Nawaya:

You may use it for the internal demarcations if they are not solid; only because it's a bungalow.
But if you have pillars incorporated then I won't advise it because of the pillar size.

Hajji M.

(1) (Reply)

Construction Of A 2-bedroom Bungalow With A Penthouse / One Acre Of Land Along Oshodi Apapa Express Way Lagos / Price And Where To Get Pop Ceiling Materia In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.