Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,051 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Lehman World Cup Penalty Note Sold For 1million € - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lehman World Cup Penalty Note Sold For 1million € (584 Views)

Alex Ferguson's Last Chewed Gum As Manager Sold For 181.4 Million Naira: Photo / Italian Club, Palermo Sold For 10 Euros To London Company / Lopetegui Selects Spain’s World Cup Penalty Taker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lehman World Cup Penalty Note Sold For 1million € by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 16, 2016
Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann's crumpled cheat sheet that helped him save penalties against Argentina in the 2006 World Cup quarter-final shootout raised one million euros ($1.3 million) for charity on Saturday.

Lehmann saved two penalties with the help of the note which he stuffed in his sock. Studying the paper between each kick may have unnerved the Argentines and helped Germany reach the semi-finals, where they lost to eventual champions Italy.

"I didn't realise the importance of the note at the time but after the match I saw it lying on the locker room floor next to my socks and thought I should hold on to it," Lehmann said in a ZDF television interview on Saturday.
A German utility, Energie Baden-Wuerttenberg, donated one million euros to a children's charity for the note scribbled on a small pad from the Schlosshotel in Berlin where the Germany team stayed. Lehmann handed it over personally on Saturday.

It was written by goalkeeping coach Andreas Koepke and gave tips on the likely habits of the penalty takers such as Riquelme left high, Heinze left low, Ayala long wait, long run right.

The energy company said it would donate the cheat sheet, which became a symbol for Germany's unexpected run to the semi-final, to the German history museum in Bonn.

Lehmann said at the time the note was hard to read because it was written in pencil and damp with sweat.

Earlier;

Lehmann to auction Argentina penalty note

Jens Lehmann is to auction a crumpled note on the penalty habits of Argentina's players that he stuffed in his sock at the World Cup.

The Germany goalkeeper, who saved two Argentina spot kicks during their quarter-final shootout, said the note had been hard to read because it was written in pencil and damp with sweat.

Studying the paper between each kick may have unnerved the Argentines, however, and helped Germany through to the semi-finals where they lost to Italy.

Lehmann told German television the note, which has also appeared in a documenatry about the World Cup, would be auctioned for charity.

In translation it reads:

1. Riquelme left high

2. Crespo long run/right, short run/left

3. Heinze left low

4. Ayala long wait, long run right

5. Messi left

6. Aimar long wait left

7. Rodriguez left

Copied

Ain't this interesting, I call it penalty Expo, I may start studying every team soon and their penalty takers before the next worldcup angry

(1) (Reply)

AFCON 2017: How The Timing Affects Europe Based Players / Pick Your Team / Arsenal Vs Hull City This Weekend - 11 Facts That May Surprise You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.