Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,785 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In (1493 Views)

Why Theists And Deists Can't Tell Us "God Wasn't Created".. / Why Nigerian Atheists Should Go To Church (for atheists only) / Mistakes Both Theists And Atheists Make On This Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 18, 2016
A thread was created yesterday by a theist (PDPOnline) and was requesting Atheists for proof as to why they believe or say "there is no God" or "God doesn't exist".

link >> https://www.nairaland.com/3523940/why-atheists-shift-burden-proof

I must say, its an interesting thread indeed but what i have come to realize is that, both the Christians and Atheists are not truthful(both shy from each others questions). But i can say the theists(Christians) are more untrustworthy as compared to the Atheists.

Less i forget, you all should be aware of the fact that am neither an atheist nor a theist. I believe only in "MORALS" which you all can attest doesn't rely on any religious doctrines and belief.

I must indeed say LiberaDeus has answered the thread but i still dont understand why the thread page got to 19. LiberaDeus comments, and contributions are insightful. The guy is brilliant, intelligent and above all structures his answers accordingly without been biased and sentimental.
There is this comment of his which i so much love and think if the theists are to agree, then there is actually no need prolonging the post.

LiberaDeus Comment @bold below
"
Dont mind the slow people.

Just like i look at a field and i dont see anything and you look at the same field and you see a garden, baseball court and a house.

Please who should do the describing in this case ? is it not the person that claims he sees everything. That person should point where all the objects he sees are not the person that is allegedly blind to it.

The people go to church every weekend and midweek, they pay their tithes, they pray, prophesy, speak in tongues and they expect atheists to do the describing for them.

They are now telling atheists to prove that there is no god in the universe while thy cant present their god to anyone unless the person agrees to believe before they prove it. What a stupid copout.

Instead of them to use this opportunity to present evidence for their god and prove once and for all to all ears that their delusion is real.
For once let them act like elijah and the prophets of baal.

""

The Christians are seeking for evidence(s) right? But the last time i checked, Christianity revolves round "HAVING FAITH AND BELIEVING".
How come do they now need evidence from the Atheist? Abi Science don enter religion overnight??
Well, back to Libera's comment above, i have come to realise the Christian folks shifted the goalpost..

Now again, they(Theists) keep lamenting proofs, but i think the NL ATHEIST are failing to think deeply using the Bible to even win the Christians. They all would have buttress LiberaDeus comments using the Bible..

Using the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ as a case study for example (simple example).
He was doubted, but to clear the atmosphere of doubt, what did He do? He showed His palms where he was nailed as proves and confirmation of his death. (here, he used physical evidences and not faith).

Same thing the atheist are requesting for, they want physical/empirical evidence(s) and not the other way round.

3 Likes

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 10:04am On Dec 18, 2016
adepeter26:
A thread was created yesterday by a theist (PDPOnline) and was requesting Atheists for proof as to why they believe or say "there is no God" or "God doesn't exist".

Article link >> https://www.nairaland.com/3523940/why-atheists-shift-burden-proof

I must say, its an interesting thread indeed but what i have come to realize is that, both the Christians and Atheists are not truthful(both shy from each others questions). But i can say the theists(Christians) are more untrustworthy as compared to the Atheists.

Less i forget, you all should be aware of the fact that am neither an atheist nor a theist. I believe only in "MORALS" which you all can attest doesn't rely on any religious doctrines and belief.

I must indeed say LiberaDeus has answered the thread but i still dont understand why the thread page got to 19. LiberaDeus comments, and contributions are insightful. The guy is brilliant, intelligent and above all structures his answers accordingly without been biased and sentimental.
There is this comment of his why i so much love and think if the theists are to agree, then there is actually no need prolonging the post.

"

Just like i look at a field and i dont see anything and you look at the same field and you see a garden, baseball court and a house.

Please who should do the describing in this case ? is it not the person that claims he sees everything. That person should point where all the objects he sees are not the person that is allegedly blind to it.

The people go to church every weekend and midweek, they pay their tithes, they pray, prophesy, speak in tongues and they expect atheists to do the describing for them.

They are now telling atheists to prove that there is no god in the universe while thy cant present their god to anyone unless the person agrees to believe before they prove it. What a stupid copout.

Instead of them to use this opportunity to present evidence for their god and prove once and for all to all ears that their delusion is real.

""

The Christians are seeking for evidence(s) right? But the last time i checked, Christianity revolves round "HAVING FAITH AND BELIEVING".
How come do they now need evidence from the Atheist? Abi Science don enter religion overnight??
Well, back to Libera's comment above, i have come to realise the Christian folks shifted the goalpost..

Now again, they(Theists) keep lamenting proofs, but i think the NL ATHEIST are failing to think deeply using the Bible to even win the Christians. They all would have buttress LiberaDeus comments using the Bible..

Using the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ as a case study for example (simple example).
He was doubted, but to clear the atmosphere of doubt, what did He do? He showed His palms where he was nailed as proves and confirmation of his death. (here, he used physical evidences and not faith).

Same thing the atheist are requesting for, they want physical/empirical evidence(s) and not the other way round.

So u believe Jesus came abi?

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 18, 2016
felixomor:

@bold

Yes...
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 10:16am On Dec 18, 2016
adepeter26:

@bold

Yes...

Hallelujah.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 18, 2016
felixomor:

Hallelujah.
So your point? wink
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 10:19am On Dec 18, 2016
adepeter26:

So your point? wink

My point is i am happy u admit Jesus came.
Thats enough for me.

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by MrSly(m): 10:20am On Dec 18, 2016
adepeter26:

link >> https://www.nairaland.com/3523940/why-atheists-shift-burden-proof

There is this comment of his which i so much love and think if the theists are to agree, then there is actually no need prolonging the post.

"

""

The first stage of faith is believing in the words of the bible. You even believed that Jesus Christ died and resurrected. You just made the first step, before you knew it, you would have started running.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 18, 2016
felixomor:

My point is i am happy u admit Jesus came.
Thats enough for me.
Same way a muslim will be happy if i admitted Mohammed came. Same also if i admitted Obatanla and co came.

*Modified*

So, your point still

2 Likes

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 10:27am On Dec 18, 2016
adepeter26:

Same way a muslim will be happy if i admitted Mohammed came. Same also if i admitted Obatanla and co came.

Well thats for them.
Me, I am ok with mine.
cool

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by MrRichmond: 10:27am On Dec 18, 2016
felixomor:

he isn't saying he believes in Jesus. he is simply using the bible to buttress his point regarding disciples disbelief of the risen Christ until they were shown physical evidence.
Faith wasn't enough for them, even though they were with Jesus for the duration of his ministry.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 10:28am On Dec 18, 2016
MrRichmond:

he isn't saying he believes in Jesus. he is simply using the bible to buttress his point regarding disciples disbelief of the risen Christ until they were shown physical evidence.
Faith wasn't enough for them, even though they were with Jesus for the duration of his ministry.

Dont worry bro.
He doesnt need a spokesman.
He has told me directly, what he meant.

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 18, 2016
MrSly:

The first stage of faith is believing in the words of the bible. You even believed that Jesus Christ died and resurrected. You just made the first step, before you knew it, you would have started running.
But does the definition of FAITH restrict itself to the bible alone?

And as for the resurrection aspect, I'm only using the Bible as a case study for purpose of the thread. Hope you get that wink
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 18, 2016
felixomor:

Dont worry bro.
He doesnt need a spokesman.
He has told me directly, what he meant.

Hey bro, i have explained myself above using the quote immediately before this comment.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 10:33am On Dec 18, 2016
adepeter26:

Hey bro, i have explained myself above using the quote immediately before this comment.

I saw it bro.

cool
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 18, 2016
Now, lets look at another example between two persons, C and D..

Mr C took Mr D to a place (a dark room), Mr C then told Mr D, there is light in this room, but all Mr D could experience was total darkness.

Now, here is detailed conversation between them;
- Mr D: i can't see, sense or experience any form of light in this room. Are you sure there is truly a lighted bulb in this room?
- Mr C: Yes. Can't you see there is light? Or are you blind?
Mr D: How can i be blind when I can see you before entering this room, but i cant see a lighted bulb....
Mr C: Ok, for you to see the light, you need to have FAITH or BELIEVE there is light.
Mr D: Have faith and believe? But you just told me there was light. How come do i need to believe and have faith that there is light when all i can sense is total darkness.
Mr D: Ok now, how can i have the faith?

(Then they both walk out of the dark room. Mr C then briefly explained was faith was all about. But to Mr D, his explanations were like, "ARE YOU FOR REAL - referring to Mr C.

Anyways, Mr D had to comply to all what Mr C told him because he actually needed to see a lighted bulb in that dark room).

*To be continued*

2 Likes

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 18, 2016
Few days, weeks, years, century & millennium later, they both went back to that same dark room..
Conversation below

Mr C: now, hope you have faith and believe.
Mr D: Yes.
Mr C: Use that faith and believe, you will come to realise there is light in this room.
Mr D: Ok..
Mr D: See ooo, i have applied faith and tried believing there is light, but all i can still sense is total darkness. How come?
Mr C: Are you sure?
Mr D: Yes am pretty sure, i applied all you told me about faith and how it works, but I still sense darkness. The room is dark.
Mr C: Your faith is not enough.
Mr D? How do you mean? Faith not enough? Even after the whole gist about faith? I think you must be on drugs or having hallucinations (or been schizophrenic).
Mr C: Your faith is not enough or too little faith.
Mr D: hmmmm *facepalm*

(i hope you all get the message am trying to pass across).

Now, Mr D then took Mr C to his own room which had electric bulb fully lighted.
Mr D: there is no light in this room.
Mr C: says who? There is light. Infact, it shines brightly..
Mr D: did you have faith before you could sense the presence of light here?
Mr C: No.
Mr D: Do you now see there is no light in room you took me to....
So until i can sense light in your room same way you sensed light light here, i will stand my ground that, your room is dark until you can prove to me the otherwise....

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by LiberaDeus: 8:28am On Dec 26, 2016
@op, thanks for the compliment

I also like the analogy you used concerning light in a room.

Just like your analogy, Christians will never believe you have enough faith until you believe totally, they are just telling you to swallow everything without arguing.

The fact is that the biblical stories never asked for blind faith.

The Israelites believed in Yahweh because they trusted their ancestors to not lie to them, they accepted the stories fully.

You should also consider the fact that if you were a primitive desert dwelling man and you had no explanation for thunder, hurricanes, diseases and suffering, you would most likely fit everything into the god model, for them existing at that time, it wasn't blind faith but merely an explanation of observable phenomenon with mythology .

But in this modern world that science keeps pushing the limits of our discoveries , religious people actually need blind stupid faith to maintain their religion.

The concept of blind faith is a medieval and Catholic concept just like the doctrine of hell. When these two doctrines were formed, it was done to adjust and adapt the church to the increasing demands of logic and reason.

People were growing too smart so blind faith had to be praised as a virtue and for those who didn't seem to have blind faith, the doctrine of hell was expanded upon[ the seeds were already in the bible] to expose the worst imaginable suffering mankind could ever imagine.
It's common sense, if you don't want to believe blindly, at least try and save yourself from the worst thing that could ever happen to you even though you can never confirm it till you die. Its this type of philosophy that is the backbone of Paschals wager.

These two philosophies are like the barbed wired fences of Christianity.

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by mrmrmister: 8:40am On Dec 26, 2016
I just don't understand those christians, how am I supposed to prove something doesn't exist.

I have red boxers, how can you prove that I don't have red boxers? undecided
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by hopefulLandlord: 8:56am On Dec 26, 2016
mrmrmister:
I just don't understand those christians, how am I supposed to prove something doesn't exist.

that's how dumb they sound

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by LiberaDeus: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2016
mrmrmister:

Priceless comment.

For all the xtian ladies, I know you girls all wear panties made of diamonds, I can't disprove it so it must be true.

Even of you are jumping molue in Lagos and soaking garri, I still believe your panties are made of diamonds even though you can sell it and make a fortune and live like queens. But you know what, your lifestyle doesn't matter, I can't know what you wear beneath so it can be anything even of you don't prove it.

Jokers
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by peacesamuel94(m): 3:36pm On Dec 26, 2016
Atheists have on so many occasions outrightly rejected the different evidences provided by theists to prove God's existence, usually without proper investigation, they seem to be so sure that miracles do not exist.

If I claim to be a theist, then it falls on me to provide proofs as to why I believe in God, but when my proofs are constantly and outrightly being rejected by Someone who is so confident about the fallibility of my provided evidences, then it means that person has access to better evidence to prove the inexistence of God, which is why I will in turn ask him to give reasons why he is so sure that my evidences were made up even without investigating on them.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by An2elect2(f): 5:35pm On Dec 26, 2016
I dont claim to be a theist, i live as a theist and let facts speak

If one claims something it means he would want to explain why.

So far, the only people laying claims are atheists and few theists.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:03pm On Dec 26, 2016
adepeter26:

*Modified*

So, your point still
felixomor:

Well thats for them.
Me, I am ok with mine.
cool

This is exactly the reason why the thread got stretched till the 19th page.

Flexomor and cohorts are out here to stupefy any thread that brings their faith under scrutiny. And their coy has been consistently exposed by both theists and atheists alike.

It has been a shameful display all the time.

KingEbukasBlog is now skilled at derailing sound arguments just to grease his worn-out ego.

My response to their ridiculous claim was in an equivalent.

How am I suppose to prove that there is no red cat on an empirically empty table when I never claimed I could see a cat on the table?

1 Like

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Deicide: 7:07pm On Dec 26, 2016
peacesamuel94:
Atheists have on so many occasions outrightly rejected the different evidences provided by theists to prove God's existence, usually without proper investigation, they seem to be so sure that miracles do not exist.
You mean we Atheist saw Am amputee limb grow back through prayer and we Rejected it

You think all those bulls#it your pastor do in church is it magic trick or psychological manipulation or even simply "Stage" miracle are proof that your God exist?...what A Joke...
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Deicide: 7:11pm On Dec 26, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

flexomor and cohorts are out here to stupefy any thread that brings their faith under scrutiny. And their coy has been consistently exposed by both theists and atheists alike.

He is always the first to comment nonsense without even trying to tackle the thread...
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by felixomor: 7:14pm On Dec 26, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:

This is exactly the reason why the thread got stretched till the 19th page.

Flexomor and cohorts are out here to stupefy any thread that brings their faith under scrutiny. And their coy has been consistently exposed by both theists and atheists alike.

KingEbukasBlog is now skilled at derailing sound arguments just to grease his worn-out ego.

My response to their ridiculous claim was in an equivalent.

How am I suppose to prove that there is no red cat on an empirically empty table when I never claimed I could see a cat on the table?

*Yawns* undecided
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 26, 2016
I must say it is illogical to demand for proofs of the nonexistence of God or gods from atheists. The lack of evidence is what gears atheism. You can only prove based on test and analysis and this is where us theists fail woefully I must say. Proving God's existence should not be confined to the quotations of sacred text.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by akintom(m): 7:54pm On Dec 26, 2016
One exciting thing happening to most apologists on NL, who are like kids genetically modified to never to grow up where it matters most, is the effective way the atheistic writings is casting doubts on what they have believed to be true.

To become an atheist takes a lot of mental labour. Lots of reading across different bodies of knowledge, listening to debates dispassionately, and being brave hearted.

It will take the apologists a lot, to come to terms with what it takes to be an atheist.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Deicide: 7:59pm On Dec 26, 2016
akintom:
One exciting thing happening to most apologists on NL, who are like kids genetically modified to never to grow up where it matters most, is the effective way the atheistic writings is casting doubts on what they have believed to be true.

To become an atheist takes a lot of mental labour. Lots of reading across different bodies of knowledge, listening to debates dispassionately, and being brave hearted.

It will take the apologists a lot, to come to terms with what it takes to be an atheist.
Atheism Is Rising in Nigeria but I have notice that most of this New atheist are Atheist because of one emotional break down or the other....esp loosing of love once.what do you think about this?
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by akintom(m): 8:23pm On Dec 26, 2016
Deicide:

Atheism Is Rising in Nigeria but I have notice that most of this New atheist are Atheist because of one emotional break down or the other....esp loosing of love once.what do you think about this?
Yes your observation is very correct. I refer to these folks as those disillusioned with religion. The atheists in Nigeria falls under the following groups in my opinion:

1. Those who were skeptics even when they sincerely believed in God. But through lots of reading outside religious materials, they arrived at a conscious, rational and bold decision to become atheist.

2. Those who don't possess the emotional stamina to stand the unending unanswered prayers. Disappointment with hypocritical behavior of fellow believers. Generally disillusioned folks.

* I personally don't consider these folks as atheists. They are more like bittered and angry folks, who felt that their innocence, trust and expectations have been dashed.

3. There's this theory being spread by some apologists, that atheism is a movement by the westerners. Some folks who believe this lie, and hoping it's an opportunistic means, also claim to be an atheist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by Deicide: 8:26pm On Dec 26, 2016
akintom:

Yes your observation is very correct. I refer to these folks as those disillusioned with religion. The atheists in Nigeria falls under the following groups in my opinion:

1. Those who were skeptics even when they sincerely believed in God. But through lots of reading outside religious materials, they arrived at a conscious, rational and bold decision to become atheist.

2. Those who don't possess the emotional stamina to stand the unending unanswered prayers. Disappointment with hypocritical behavior of fellow believers. Generally disillusioned folks.

* I personally don't consider these folks as atheists. They are more like bittered and angry folks, who felt that their innocence, trust and expectations have been dashed.

3. There's this theory being spread by some apologists, that atheism is a movement by the westerners. Some folks who believe this lie, and hoping it's an opportunistic means, also claim to be an atheist.

Lemme add

only those theists that are angy with their god, and deal with their anger by calling themselves atheist eventually return to their theism when their anger dissapates, or advancing age forces them to face their mortality and they set their anger aside; core atheist who come to their non belief through seeking evidenceand finding none... will continue to not find evidence and hence not change their position.
Re: NL Theists AND Atheists Should Come In by akintom(m): 8:34pm On Dec 26, 2016
Deicide:

Lemme add

only those theists that are angy with their god, and deal with their anger by calling themselves atheist eventually return to their theism when their anger dissapates, or advancing age forces them to face their mortality and they set their anger aside; core atheist who come to their non belief through seeking evidenceand finding none... will continue to not find evidence and hence not change their position.
Yeah....
Also, because our society is largely that which don't acquire information for the primary reason of self empowerment, most of the folks romancing atheism now, are grossly uninformed in the concept of human belief system.

If anyone understands how the human brain functions (the mind), it will be easier to situate religious beliefs for what it really is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's the implications of Owl perching around ones apartment? / The number 1 man in China the beast? / War Against Haman-17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.