Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,902 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme (26538 Views)

Ndic -three Million Nigerians Lost N18bn To Mmm / We Can Only Pray For MMM Victims – NDIC / Cbn, Ndic Set To Investigate Bitcoin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Kessyy2k4(m): 7:20pm On Dec 18, 2016
favourmic:
As you probe mmm

Stupid govement
hope u r not MMM victim?
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by favourmic(m): 7:24pm On Dec 18, 2016
Kessyy2k4:
hope u r not MMM victim?

Abeg pack well I dey vex for this mmm frozen o embarassed
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Ab4all(m): 7:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
The only problem with the use of bitcoin is insecurity.though blockchain is doing everything possible to prevent hacking of funds by using 2factor authentication code. I doubt its suitability in our kind of environment.
blackberlin:
I think it's a good move. Bitcoin is the trending cryptocurrency in the world today and there's been so much said about it.
I like the fact that they're also willing to key into it after thorough investigation. It's gonna go a long way in converting cash to a global currency, those are things that can help end the troubles like Forex scarcity etc. . . and the fact that government has so many resources at its disposal means they are in the best position to advice citizens on what to do. . .

Too bad some people didn't read the report before commenting. smiley
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by ibietela2(m): 7:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
They should reach and agreement with PayPal on how we can start receiving funds joor
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by princejayboss: 7:32pm On Dec 18, 2016
This country is a complete funny country.... So even CBN does not know what bitcoin means .... Wow

The problem with our country is that we give ministry for power and electricity to a lawyer.... Lol

This goes on to show you that people handling our dying economy knows nothings about the field .... Shame

2 Likes

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Ab4all(m): 7:39pm On Dec 18, 2016
Carrottop:
Relax Chief...You knew a lot ofof people who did MMM, are they up to a 100?...even if the amount of people you know is not a sufficient basis for you to say the 50% of for BTc users never attracted more people into MMM via BtC.
u ve been calling mmm? It seems u re knew to bitcoin payment mechanism. They are lot of platforms that make use of bitcoin. Zarfund, lots of hyips scheme use it. Legally I think Sony is accepting bitcoin as a means of payment. So chill

1 Like

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by EINSTEINPG: 7:39pm On Dec 18, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:

You amuse me. For your information, almost all digital currency platforms are primarily set-up by their promoters to launder ill-gotten money. So the very moment a case of money laundry is established against such founder/promoter/top user automatically the platform will collapse.
Am sorry bro, you really need to do serious research on Bitcoin and the underlying blockchain technology.
There is nothing wrong in admitting one's ignorance when one does not have an in-depth knowledge about certain concepts. Nobody knows it all; we're all here to learn.
No offence meant and I hope none is taken. Peace!!!
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by itsmine: 7:40pm On Dec 18, 2016
d33types:

This is the one thing the government cannot and will never control..not just possible.it's a cryptocurrency , not an investment scheme.

nobody needs their approval to use bitcoin, not even the U.S.federal reserves.Fvcking failed government
No govt can just beat them here, they'd better join on time and make policy allowances.
Citizens are yearning for freedom, and disruptive protocols all the way.

1 Like

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by udoh2k: 7:42pm On Dec 18, 2016
Carrottop:
The unholy solemnization between MMM and Bitcoin may spell doom for BitCoin's operation in Nigeria...BitCoin's Operators shouldn't have distanced itself from MMM.
The suspension of mmm does not add or subtract anytn from bitcoin. Mmm only look for alternative to dollars and they started accepting bit coin. Bit coin is an international 'currency'. It is not control by USA or any world central bank. Nigerian govt cannot regulate it. All they can do is to 'officially' recognise it. Bit coin is more valuable than USD. It is 'mined' by individuals and companies all over the world over the Internet using high powered servers
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by itsmine: 7:43pm On Dec 18, 2016
Carrottop:
The unholy solemnization between MMM and Bitcoin may spell doom for BitCoin's operation in Nigeria...BitCoin's Operators shouldn't have distanced itself from MMM.
Altcoins are beyond govts, they can only try. Ask Venezuela, China and India.
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 18, 2016
Ab4all:
The only problem with the use of bitcoin is insecurity.though blockchain is doing everything possible to prevent hacking of funds by using 2factor authentication code. I doubt its suitability in our kind of environment.

With regards to insecurity, I really can't say much about it cos it's way different from what we're used to like e-wallets etc.
Apart from that, I think Nigeria has quite a flexible environment for business and given the nature of Nigerians it's gonna spread like wildfire. What I'm more concerned about is the sustainability of the bitcoin itself. . .
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by EINSTEINPG: 7:46pm On Dec 18, 2016
Hoodfriend:
If not for MMM, will there know what is Bitcoin..long live MMM
What did you just type?
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by HomeOfMe(f): 7:47pm On Dec 18, 2016
dipoolowoo:
By Modupe Gbadeyanka

For a while now, promoters of a digital currency, Bitcoin, have been urging Nigerians to key into the system just like the controversial MMM Ponzi scheme.

This has got the attention of the Federal Government, which has promised to look into the programme so as to advice citizens.

It also said the system may be adopted in the country if investigations give it a go-ahead.

At the 2016 Workshop for Financial Correspondents on Friday in Kaduna, Managing Director of Nigeria Deposit Insurance Commission (NDIC), Mr Umaru Ibrahim, disclosed that his commission and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) have set up a committee to look into the trending ‘bitcoin’ scheme.

“On our part, we have constituted a committee together with the central bank to have an in debt study of this phenomenal bitcoin.

“We will look at its advantages and disadvantages, what it means for the payment system and what it means for safety and security of customers.

“We will also look at what it means for money laundering, anti-corruption, crime and measurement of money /near money instrument for the economy.

“But we need a lot of education to do this and I’m calling on you (media) to educate yourselves about all of this so you can educate the public,” Mr Ibrahim said at the event themed ‘Economic Recession and the Nigerians Banking Sector: Opportunities, Challenges and the way Forward.’

He explained that ‘bitcoin’ included what is being called block chain technology based products in the market, noting that a lot of Nigerians had already started patronising bitcoin.

Mr Ibrahim also said some leading central banks in Europe and the United States had adopted their own versions of bitcoins.

“Some of the central banks have also adopted it and are seriously doing everything possible to bring in the emergence of this invisible products.

“The owners do not need any central bank; they do not need any physical bank.

“If you are a subscriber, you only know yourselves and they give you a bit of the bitcoin and in some countries you can convert it to cash.

“You can make payments with it because it has been recognised and one of the famous ex-chief executive of Barclays PLC, Antony Jenkins, have joined the group’s board of directors,” he said.

http://www.businesspost.ng/2016/12/18/cbn-ndic-may-consider-digital-currency-bitcoin/
The fed govt wants to frustrate poor nigerians so that they can keep using them ad political thugs,armed robbery,kidnapping and living from hand to mouth. This was how they started with mmm even though i did not like mmm.Bitcoin isn't within your reach,enemies of progress,enemy of the poor.

1 Like

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by EINSTEINPG: 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2016
AZeD1:
Bitcoin is a Crypto currency based on block chain technology. Bitcoin is based on a mathematical formula and its mined using very power computers.

For those investing in Bitcoin, please note that there's a limit to the total number of bitcoins that can be mined. I think 4 million(not too sure.)
It is actually 21 millions BTC.

1 Like

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by HomeOfMe(f): 7:55pm On Dec 18, 2016
I hope they wont come and start investigating paypal and payoneer.
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Kessyy2k4(m): 7:57pm On Dec 18, 2016
favourmic:

Abeg pack well I dey vex for this mmm frozen o embarassed
eeyah sowwy...hope the money no much shall

gringringrin

lesson learnt!...never trust on money doubling scheme
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 18, 2016
Zoo country....haha Bitcoin scheme, so bitcoin is now a scheme
Smh at some of the comment so far, chai, so many ppl's brains are filled with akamu ooo...Bitcoin coin is a currency, you can't probe it, you can either officially accept it or not, you nor accepting it doesn't add or remove to what Bitcoin is...
Wetin even concern Nigeria govt and bitcoins self?

1 Like

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by fratermathy(m): 8:22pm On Dec 18, 2016
juicydiceyjoe:

You must not comment.

Bitcoin is not a scheme as you put it and it is over 6 years old.

So because you know it, everyone must know it abi?
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by dozymars(m): 8:29pm On Dec 18, 2016
CBN should key into the digital currency fast otherwise they will go under.It is a global phenomenon that cannot be controlled by anyone or government.

Many are still ignorant of it.

1 Like

Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by vicese(m): 8:39pm On Dec 18, 2016
Send me an email at Fbjatom50@gmail.com for a complete guide on bitcoin investment that gives 150 percent per month. Tested and proven. Or add 08067002793 on whatsapp. It is free of charge. Let's be Financially free together.

Why not share with us here so we all can benefit from your wealth of knowledge, if you really claim its free and you have our interest at heart.
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by iyaegin: 8:44pm On Dec 18, 2016
I wonder why everyone is going gaga simply because CBN mentioned bitcoin.Have we forgotten we live in a society where name dropping is the order of the day.CBN simply mentioned bitcoin so they would not say the world has left them behind.Nothing and I repeat NOTHING will be done by CBN for at least 2/3 years and please who ever the op/mod for this post Is, Kindly modify the misleading title.it is NOT any probe of bitcoin, it is a knowledge gathering exercise for now.Gullible people should also stop tying bitcoin to mmm, they are worlds apart except if referring to mmm united which bitcoins are the means of exchange.
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Drsheddy(m): 8:46pm On Dec 18, 2016
just2endowed:

Crab ur ss1 economic text book and tell me what's a money. Do u think anything can't be accepted as money dude.

U haven't known what blockchain is. When other advanced countries in the world had adopted it and start receiving cash of it into bank account, ur clueless government just like how daft u are in understanding the technology are saying u want to probe. This country dey annoy me. Associating it with mmm is stupid. I am not defending mmm, I am telling u what bitcoin can do. Dude try think, think man and read up. Don't stop at economic text book.

Lollll make he grows up mhennnn
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Youngzedd(m): 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:
Digital currency has its problem. One day what happened to liberty reserve will equally happen to it. The game there's, don't save your hard earned money on a digital account, because it can freeze without prior notice.

Funniest comment of the day grin

Go learn what bitcoin is.
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Youngzedd(m): 9:02pm On Dec 18, 2016
Carrottop:
well, I do it's a cryptocurrency platform...just like Skrill..But then do you know MMM used Bitcoin as a payment platform offering 50% discount to users of Bitcoin?...that singular act of theirs should tell you they were in cohort and it brought in more people to the MMM fold....which is why the government is investigating their activity in Nigeria

It's not and will NEVER be like Skrill. How could you do such comparison

Listen, no one on earth can control bitcoin, not even USA government.
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by sapientia(m): 9:18pm On Dec 18, 2016
we just keep paying people that knows nothing hoping they can do something..

Little explanation and few clicks on google would have settled this... tufia
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by AZeD1(m): 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2016
EINSTEINPG:
It is actually 21 millions BTC.
Thanks
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by djakinwande(m): 9:54pm On Dec 18, 2016
Zedoo:

Ure in the lantern age
is that an ans to my question or you just want to get attention undecided
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by mildflame: 10:18pm On Dec 18, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:

Just shut up! It's obvious you don't know anything. Conceit is truly God's gift to petty people like you.

Before you even know what the internet is, I've long embraced it and made enough legit money from both known and unknown sources - you will never dream of understanding in your lifetime - including digital currency operations. Stop being conceited and myopic.

Your stupidity is out of this UNIVERSE, when the internet started was it not limited to military, education and multinational cooperations? Now from any village one can place an order and gets what he/she wants online.
I don't know beneath what rock an internet buffoon like you crawled out from but your huffing and puffing internet knowledge cannot be compare to that of a toddler
SHUT ur stinking 4kin mouth if you got no idea of Block chain, digital currency and the future
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2016
Why is our government embarrassing us?
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by TRAVEL101(m): 10:25pm On Dec 18, 2016
Carrottop:
watin this one dey talk self
Re: CBN, NDIC To Probe Digital Currency, ‘bitcoin’, Scheme by TRAVEL101(m): 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
Bunch of people with no insert to anything . just sitting down and be collecting bogus salaries and allowance. Bar sense ,bar concept When other central banks has adopted the technology and also has ATM for it . This one here CBN are busy organizing seminars to collect seminar allowance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Investing On Land Or Buying A Car For Uber: Which Is The Better? / Dangote meets Mugabe on investment approval (PHOtO) / Which Loan App Is The Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.