Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:41 AM

How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works (951 Views)

Six Exciting Reasons Why You Should Live In A Smart Home / Mark Zuckerberg Achieved More Globally In 6yrs Than Dangote Has Done In 40yrs. / See Mark Zuckerberg's Response To A Question (((savage!!))) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by crownedprinz(m): 5:53pm On Dec 20, 2016
In a lengthy Facebook post on Monday, Zuckerberg describes how he went about creating his digital butler for his home in San Francisco. He spent a total of 100 hours building the assistant, which can control his lights, music, and even make toast with a retrofitted toaster from the 1950s.

"In some ways, this challenge was easier than I expected," according to Zuckerberg. "In fact, my running challenge (I also set out to run 365 miles in 2016) took more total time. But one aspect that was much more complicated than I expected was simply connecting and communicating with all of the different systems in my home."

Here are the main things that Zuckerberg's personal assistant can do:
1. Control his main appliances, including his lights and toaster.
"It's possible to control some of these using internet-connected power switches that let you turn the power on and off remotely," he explains. "But often that isn't enough. For example, one thing I learned is it's hard to find a toaster that will let you push the bread down while it's powered off so you can automatically start toasting when the power goes on. I ended up finding an old toaster from the 1950s and rigging it up with a connected switch. "

2. Play music based on his own preferences or his wife Priscilla's preferences depending on who asks.
Since Zuckerberg trained his assistant to recognize both his voice and the voice of his wife Priscilla Chan, it will play different music tailored to whoever asks. If the mood is off, they can say general statements like "that's not light, play something light," and the assistant will correct itself.

"In general, I've found we use these more open-ended requests more frequently than more specific asks," writes Zuckerberg. "No commercial products I know of do this today, and this seems like a big opportunity."

3. Scan the faces of his visitors and let them in through the front door.
Zuckerberg used Facebook's facial recognition technology to scan the faces of his visitors from cameras positioned at his front door.

He explains: "I built a simple server that continuously watches the cameras and runs a two step process: First, it runs face detection to see if any person has come into view, and second, if it finds a face, then it runs face recognition to identify who the person is. Once it identifies the person, it checks a list to confirm I'm expecting that person, and if I am then it will let them in and tell me they're here."

4.Chat with him through the Messenger app and a dedicated voice recognition iPhone app.
Zuckerberg created his own Messenger chat bot for texting commands to his assistant (like "turn the bedroom lights off"wink and another standalone app for giving it voice commands.

Interestingly, his favorite method of interacting with his assistant is through the chat bot:

"One thing that surprised me about my communication with Jarvis is that when I have the choice of either speaking or texting, I text much more than I would have expected. This is for a number of reasons, but mostly it feels less disturbing to people around me. If I'm doing something that relates to them, like playing music for all of us, then speaking feels fine, but most of the time text feels more appropriate."

"Similarly, when Jarvis communicates with me, I'd much rather receive that over text message than voice. That's because voice can be disruptive and text gives you more control of when you want to look at it. Even when I speak to Jarvis, if I'm using my phone, I often prefer it to text or display its response."

Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 20, 2016
Interesting, sounds like that of Iron Man.
Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by Noblecx: 6:03pm On Dec 20, 2016
Awesome
Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by Donexy16(m): 6:15pm On Dec 20, 2016
Wow.. Innovation at its peak
Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by ojun50(m): 6:43pm On Dec 20, 2016
Ok
Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 20, 2016
Donexy16:
Wow.. Innovation at its peak
peak?You havent seen anything
Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by crownedprinz(m): 9:08am On Dec 21, 2016
TechEnthusiast:

peak?You havent seen anything
interesting..so what is the future bringing for us to see
Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Personal Smart Home Assistant(jarvis-) Works by crownedprinz(m): 9:14am On Dec 21, 2016
2kaybiel:
Interesting, sounds like that of Iron Man.
yeah Jarvis is an Iron man Artificial intelligence technology

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Terrifying Robotics Wolves Are Now Used By Farmers To Protect Crops In Japan / What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) / Protect Your Programs From Being Cracked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.