Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) (2783 Views)

Bambam And Teddy-A Meet Pastor Tony Rapu / Meet Pastor Who Wants To Eat Nicky Minaj’s Ass This Sunday (photos) / Meet Pastor Mbanefo, MMM Nigeria Owner Based In South Africa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) by tomakint: 7:03pm On Dec 21, 2016
THIS WEEK - LET'S INTRODUCE PASTOR(DR) W.F. KUMUYI - 1

HEROES DIARY - W.F. KUMUYI (1941-Date)
William Folorunso Kumuyi was born on June 9, 1941 into a
Christian family in Erin-Ijesha, Osun State, Nigeria. He was
born into an Anglican family that knew the Bible was very
important as the word of God; they would rise up early in the
morning to sing hymns, read the Bible, and pray. However,
it was not until he left home to attend high school in another
part of the region that young W.F. Kumuyi got an
experiential knowledge of who Jesus Christ was, and what
radical changes He could effect in lives surrendered to His
lordship.
While teaching mathematics at his alma mater in 1962, after
graduating from high school in 1961, Pastor Kumuyi was
introduced to the Apostolic Faith Church. He heard the
Gospel, and believed the word of God on righteousness,
temperance, judgment to come, and salvation from sin:
Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi became born again on
Sunday, April 5, 1964.
In his early Christian days, as he still does many good
writers, Pastor Kumuyi read John Wesley, Charles Finney,
and Charles Spurgeon, among others. He got involved with
the Scripture Union (SU), and he grew spiritually.
Education
Formal education for Pastor William Kumuyi started in his
home town; he went on to attend Mayflower School in
Ikenne, near Ijebu-ode, whence he graduated with a high
school diploma in 1961. After teaching at his alma mater for
a brief period, Pastor Kumuyi gained admission to study
mathematics at Nigeria’s premier institution of higher
education, the University of Ibadan, obtaining a first class
degree in 1967.
Pastor Kumuyi went back to teaching mathematics at
Mayflower School, Ikenne, before going for a postgraduate
course in education at the University of Lagos, Lagos,
Nigeria. On the completion of his postgraduate study
program, Pastor Kumuyi became a lecturer in the
Department of Mathematics at the University of Lagos in
Ministry
The Deeper Christian Life Ministry along with its church arm,
the Deeper Life Bible Church, which now has over one
million members in more than sixty countries around the
world, started as a fifteen-member Bible Study group in
Pastor William Kumuyi’s official quarters (Flat 2) at the
University of Lagos in August, 1973.
While doing his postgraduate work at the University of
Lagos, some people who knew Pastor Kumuyi as a member
of the Scripture Union (SU) would approach him to ask
questions about the Bible and Christian living. Some of
these enquirers would come at odd hours, so the Pastor felt
it was better they gather as a group to study the Bible, on
Monday evenings in his apartment, instead of spending so
much time dealing with them as individuals.
Soon enough, the time came when Flat 2 could no longer
hold the Bible Study participants, so they spilled outside and
occupied the front of the building. In due course, as more
people came and the Bible Study Group grew, it became
necessary in 1976 to find a more commodious place outside
of the university campus. Because the Group was non-
denominational, people were happy to come from various
churches to study with Lecturer Kumuyi, as the Pastor was
still called at that time. Soon, the Bible Study Group
membership went over 1,500.
By 1988 the congregation had grown to 50,000, and now
numbers over 120,000 members, making it the third largest
Christian church in the world. Dr. Johan Combrinck reports
that the Deeper Life Bible Church not only has an
attendance of 120,000 every Sunday, but has planted more
than 500 churches in Lagos, and over 5,000 in the rest of
Nigeria (with an independent estimate of more than 800,000
members in Nigeria alone), and 3,000 elsewhere (with
missionaries to 40 countries of Africa) as the movement
missionary contribution.
“The history of Deeper Life is very much the personal story
of W.F. Kumuyi. He is a gifted man, clear-thinking and
humble. He is a dedicated Christian and deserves the title
‘the man of God,' which his followers have given him. Since
he was a young man, Kumuyi has devoted his time to
reading and studying the Bible. He knows the Scriptures
inside out, and has deep love for the word of God, so people
have been drawn to him for advice, or simply to listen. When
he preaches, his message is clear, simple, and profound.
Poor street traders who can barely read sit next to university
professors, all equally captivated by the way Scripture
becomes suddenly relevant to them.
Pastor Kumuyi's own Christian life developed because he
took the Bible so seriously, and so the Deeper Christian Life
Ministry has developed in the same way.
His sermons were captivating. In fact, "I would classify him
as one of the greatest living preachers, giving a
straightforward Bible-based message, his sermons
thorough, and always personally challenging. He always
gave a wide range of cross-references which were read in
their context, supporting, clarifying and expanding his main
points. He spoke clearly and authoritatively to the Nigerian
situation.
A Man With a Great Heart For God!
He is not tall, and does not have a larger-than-life character.
He does not dominate, nor has he accrued power to himself.
He walks slowly, is relaxed, and has a gentle sense of
humour with a warm smile and a twinkle in his eyes. He
dresses simply, eats simply... and... could have assumed
titles to himself. As the Deeper Christian Life Ministry
developed - most people enjoy the trappings and regalia of
status which followers gladly give. But he calls his followers
brothers and sisters, and treats them as colleagues.
Kumuyi remarried in October 2010 in London about 18
months after the death of his first wife.

1 Like

Re: Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) by tomakint: 7:04pm On Dec 21, 2016
THIS WEEK - LET'S INTRODUCE PASTOR(DR) W.F. KUMUYI -2

What a grace!
At 75, he still stands for one and half hours behind the pulpit every Monday to take Bible Study. Pastor Kumuyi will be on duty today again as he has always been every Monday, since that Monday on August 1973

What a grace!
He has suffered desertions from very close associates in ministry. He has suffered bereavement of his first love, Mummy Biodun. He has suffered deviance of his own biological son on wedding brouhaha. He has suffered misrepresentation and misconception from outsiders and even from members of his immediate constituency, Deeper Life. He has suffered preaching tour mishaps and multiple health concerns. Yet, he has remained strong, resolute, heaven-minded and focused.

What a grace!
He has fought the temptation of materialism and greed for mundane things of this world, he has fought the temptation to live larger than life in ministry, he has fought the temptation to be lousy and noisy in ministry, he has fought the temptation to become politicians' friend or their prayer contractor. He has combined humility with success, he has combined focus with achievement and has proved that even today, one can keep to the standard of holiness and of the unchanging word in this changing world.

Today, I celebrate the epics: I celebrate ADULTERY FORBIDDEN, I celebrate TEKEL, I celebrate THE GREAT WHITE THRONE JUDGEMENT (and the choir rendition preceding it), I celebrate PURITY WITHIN A MUST. I celebrate consistency

This week, we your children all over the globe, both within Deeper Life and outside, celebrate you and we pray in unison: the grace that has seen you this far will see you through!
- Copied and edited

1 Like

Re: Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) by tomakint: 7:04pm On Dec 21, 2016
THIS WEEK - LET'S INTRODUCE PASTOR(DR) W. F. KUMUYI -3

A Math Professor(Lecturer) is Called to Preach!
In 1973, while serving as Math Lecturer at The University of Lagos, W.F. Kumuyi started a Bible study group with 15 university students who had come to him requesting training in the Scriptures. By the early 1980’s that small group had grown to several thousand, at which time Deeper Life Bible Church was formally established.

By 1988 the congregation had grown to 50,000, and now numbers 120,000 members, making it the third largest Christian church in the world. Dr. Johan Combrinck reports that the Deeper Life Bible Church not only has an attendance of 120,000 every Sunday, but has planted 500 churches in Lagos, 5,000 in the rest of Nigeria (with an independent estimate of more than 800,000 members in Nigeria alone), and 3,000 elsewhere (with missionaries to 40 countries of Africa) as the movement missionary contribution. (Source: AFNET).

Dr. C. Peter Wagner, in an article titled ‘Those Amazing Post-Denominational Churches’ wrote: “By far, the most rapidly growing segment of Christianity on all six continents is a type of church that does not fit traditional categories or classifications. Missiologists have recognized its presence for some time, but it is such a recent phenomenon that they have not yet agreed on a name for it. Perhaps one title that would fit is the term ‘post-denominational.”

“Go to almost any metropolitan area and ask to visit the largest Christian Church. Chances are it will be one of these new post-denominational churches’. In Lagos, Nigeria, it would be the Deeper Life Bible Church, pastored by William Kumuyi. On a recent Sunday I saw 74,000 adults worshipping together, with 40,000 children meeting in a separate building across the street.” (Apostolic Team Ministries, Intl., Newsletter 09).

How Did It Happen?
Journalist Alan Isaacson provides a helpful study of this phenomenal ministry in his book Deeper Life, talking with many members of the church who told him how Christ has miraculously intervened and changed lives in response to prayer and the proclamation of the Gospel. In Pastor Kumuyi’s own words: “God, in the growth of Deeper Life Bible Church, has strategically and prudently used miracles to make all men come to Him’ (John 3:26). We take Christian living and holiness seriously.”

According to Isaacson, The history of Deeper Life is very much the personal story of W.F. Kumuyi. He is a gifted man, clear-thinking and humble. He is a dedicated Christian and deserves the title “the man of God,” which his followers have given him. Since he was a young man, Kumuyi has devoted his time to reading and studying the Bible. He knows the Scriptures inside out, and has struggled to understand and apply them. As he shares that struggle and his love for the word of God, so people have been drawn to him for advice, or simply to listen. When he preaches, his message is clear, simple, and profound. Poor street traders who can barely read sit next to university professors, all equally captivated by the way Scripture becomes suddenly relevant to them.
Pastor Kumuyi’s own Christian life developed because he took the Bible so seriously, and so the Deeper Christian Life Ministry has developed in the same way. In Alan Isaacson’s own words, he “preached Deeper Life into existence.” His sermons were captivating, wrote Isaacson, “I would classify him as one of the greatest living preachers, giving a straightforward Bible-based message,his sermons thorough, and always personally challenging. He always gave a wide range of cross-references which were read in their context, supporting, clarifying and expanding his main points. He spoke clearly and authoritatively to the Nigerian situation. He dealt sensitively with African culture, but also made a firm stand in highlighting the points where local culture was incompatible with the will of God. While stressing the high moral tone which is one of the virtues of most African cultures at their best, he was at pains to specify those aspects of local culture which were unchristian and even evil. In this way he was not only concerned with some kind of personal holiness, but also genuinely seeking the wholeness and harmony of the community at large, where truth, honesty, and justice should be the predominant characteristics.

AboutUs_GS standing
A Man With a Great Heart For God!
He is not tall, and does not have a larger-than-life character. He does not dominate, nor has he accrued power to himself. He walks slowly, is relaxed, and has a gentle sense of humour with a warm smile and a twinkle in his eyes. He dresses simply, eats simply… and… could have assumed titles to himself. As the Deeper Christian Life Ministry developed – most people enjoy the trappings and regalia of status which followers gladly give. But he calls his followers brothers and sisters, and treats them as colleagues.

W.F. Kumuyi was born in 1941 into an Anglican home. It was a very strict Christian home, he told Isaacson, “We would get up in the morning, read the Bible, sing hymns, and go to church regularly. When I went to secondary school I lost interest in the church because our principal taught us atheism. But after a while I thought again and started going to various churches in town. Eventually, in 1963, a group of singers and preachers from a Gospel church got permission to come to the school. I understood the Gospel message, and was born again on April 5th, 1964. I read John Wesley, Charles Finney, Spurgeon, and lots of other books. I got involved with the Scripture Union, and I grew.”

From Professor to Preacher!
He gained a first-class degree in Mathematics at the University of Ibadan; then went back to Mayflower School to teach. After five years he went to the University of Lagos to do a Postgraduate Certificate in Education and became a lecturer there in 1973; and that was when he started a small Deeper Life Bible Study group.

In speaking to a group of Pastors under his leadership as General Superintendent, W. F. Kumuyi said: “Our emphasis should be on the practical side of going out. If the Lord comes, let him meet us working for him. Now every time I preach I try to mention evangelism. I have told all the Lagos District Coordinators and Zonal Leaders to spend half their time on evangelism and only half their time on their members. There will always be problems in the church: don’t let them take up all your time”.

Concluding his book, Isaacson writes, “And, of course, Deeper Life are self-governing. Kumuyi is the founder & General Superintendent, and he carries a tremendous weight in pastoring the Gbagada (Lagos) church alone, quite apart from the (now thousands) of other congregations across Nigeria and the rest of the world. He is a remarkable leader, one of God’s people for this generation. Kumuyi has received a great deal from God, but he is adept at passing along what he receives. My feeling is that what God has given his people through Kumuyi will be kept and developed long after Kumuyi is gone. This has been God’s work, and to Him be the glory.

- www.dclm.org

1 Like

Re: Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) by tomakint: 7:05pm On Dec 21, 2016
THIS WEEK - LET'S INTRODUCE PASTOR (DR) W.F. KUMUYI -4

Why The Church Is Called Deeper Life PLUS The Real Meaning Of My Name & Why I Changed It – Pastor W.F Kumuyi

The founder and the General Overseer of Deeper Life Bible Church, Dr W.F Kumuyi in an interview with Elife talks about his
Christian Faith, why his church was named Deeper Life and the real meaning of his name. Pastor Kumuyi narrated why he changed his original name Ikumuyiwa meaning “death brought this” to Kumuyi.

Excerpts: African names have meanings.

What does Kumuyi mean?
The full name is Ikumuyiwa, which means ‘death brought this”. After I became a Christian, I realised it was the death of Christ that has brought us salvation, and also the redemption and reconciliation we have with God. So, for me, the name, Ikumuyiwa, is very significant – death has brought something good. The death of Christ has brought us the grace and goodness of God, and the relationship we have now with the Lord.

How many siblings do you have?
I have two siblings – a sister who is three years younger than I am, and a brother who is far much younger, 18 or 19 years younger than I am. Both of them are in Nigeria . My sister lives in Ondo State . A born-again Christian, she attends Deeper Life. My brother lives in Osun State, and he is also in the Church. Both of them are following the Lord.

You left the Anglican Church for the Apostolic Church. What made you switch?
I was teaching in Mayflower School, my alma mater. I completed my secondary school education in 1961, and started teaching
mathematics at Mayflower in 1962. It was there that I was introduced to the Apostolic Faith, not Apostolic Church, and really heard about the change that Christ could make to our lives when we turned from our sins and believed in him and how he died for us on the cross of Calvary. It was there that I had the salvation experience and things really turned up for me.

You became a born-again Christian at the age of 23, on 5th April 1964. Do you still remember what happened?
Yes, a preacher was preaching a simple message, and because I had become almost like a moralist in the sense that I protected my name and personality, when that preacher preached, I saw that it was not just our actions that made us unacceptable to God, even our wrong thoughts and wrong plans or planning our lives as if God didn’t exist, also made us unacceptable. I then realised that I needed God. And when the preacher made an altar call, he pointedly said if “anybody needed Christ to fill the void in their lives, such people should come forward”, I felt drawn to what he was saying. I went forward, knelt down and prayed.
In fact, it was such an important day for me that I still remember it to this day, even where I knelt, how it all happened, and the
peace and joy that came to my heart, that now I was reconciled with God through Jesus Christ. It was very definite.

Was it in Lagos ?
No, it was in Ijebu-Ode in Ogun State , about one-and-a half hours drive from Lagos.

Why did you call it Deeper Life?
Actually it came from the people. When they received the articles, they came to the Bible studies and said: “We’ve been Christians before, but this one is deeper than what we used to know.” So they used the name Deeper Life. We also knew that we were leading them to deeper relations with God; that is how those articles became Deeper Christian Life Articles. Then as we continued with the Bible studies, the group became known as the Deeper Christian Life Ministry. And when it became a Church in 1983, we called it the Deeper Life Bible Church.

Are you saying the name, Deeper Life, didn’t come from you?
Well, yes and no. We called the articles we sent out “Deeper Life Articles”. The people themselves were saying those articles were
deepening their Christian lives. So the name came from both sides.. - Excerpt from interview by Elife

1 Like

Re: Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) by engineerboat(m): 7:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
Hmmmm.

Word would failed me to describe Pastor W. K. Kumuyi

1st class in solving COMPLEX AND ANALYTICAL MATHEMMATICS problems
1st class in SOLVING COMPLEX human PROBLEMS

1 Like

Re: Let's Meet Pastor William Folorunso Ikumuyiwa (photos) by Terryindeed: 12:49am On Dec 22, 2016
The only man without limousine, private jet, and arm bodyguards. God will continue to bless you sir. Amen

(1) (Reply)

Tboss Surprises Nigerians, Twerks During Their Task Rehearsal / Actress Adunni Ade Disappointed And In Tears Over Her New Hairstyle [PICS] / Nollywood Act, Kehinde Bankole Goes Sultry, Exposes Cleavage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.