Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,089 members, 7,957,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:34 AM

All That Glitters............. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / All That Glitters............. (960 Views)

All That Glitters (18+) / Short Story: All That Glitters... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

All That Glitters............. by iraborosasu: 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2016
6:40PM
Damilola took another look at her watch.
Rolex.
The crystals didn't sparkle and dazzle that much to her. She was used to it. Having a bunch of them at home.
She was evidently nervous. All shades of impatient. The music in the restaurant didn't sound so appealing anymore. Was it Banky W or Dare? She really didn't care. Nothing sounded pleasant to her anymore.
6:50PM
She was visibly annoyed. She took a wry look at her watch. She was sure she told him 6pm.
"Would you like another glass of wine ma"
The chubby looking waiter interrupted her thoughts.
She managed to force a smile. Her half fake smile nearly throwing the mesmerized waiter off balance. She was beautiful.
"No, I'm good". She tried not to sound rude.
" I'm waiting for someone ". " he's stuck in traffic". "He said he would be here soon". "You know how Lagos is na".
Why was she explaining herself to this total stranger. She felt embarrassed. The thoughts in her head were looking for a way to escape from her mouth. They needed to be laced on someone or something.
"Would that be all ma?" The obviously confused waiter chipped.
"My friend leave me alone na" she shot back.
She mumbled something beneath her breath that sounded like she was sorry and looked up wanting to tell the waiter something else when she saw Emeka.

Tall and handsome. His face was just about perfect. Every girl's dream guy. The thing she probably liked most about him was the fact that He didn't look like a typical Igbo man in anyway. He didn't have an accent. The only connection seemed to be his name. She eventually thought he was British when they first met at some charity event in Abuja. She was covering the event for a TV corporation she used to work for.
He had made a speech about love and ethics but all the while was looking at her with that ever charming smile. She knew what would follow. She had tireless advances from men all the time. He had told her that he wanted to be her friend and six months later, he told her he loved her. He took her everywhere with him. Soon she had become the focus of the media's attention. He also helped her start her dream clothing line business. She loved him too so to her it was a win win.
She eventually found out that he wasn't born in Nigeria. He only recently moved back to take over his father's business. He was a very funny guy. Intelligent and generous to a fault. He once tipped a waiter the sum of ten thousand naira for making a compliment about his outfit.
He gave her everything she ever asked for. Nothing was too big or too little. Emeka was the ideal bae.
That was three years ago though.

"Obim, you look amazing". " I'm so sorry I'm late, I lost track of time..........
Damilola listened to Emeka but she heard nothing. She knew he was going to make up a story as to why he was late. He always did. Every single time for the last 2 years.
"You know how much I love you". " you mean the world to me". He was smiling now. "Baby say something" " did you order already" He held her hands.

She somehow found a way to hold the tears that were trying to force their way out.
The hurt of Emeka's neglect was more than words could describe. It had started just about 6 months into their relationship. Late nights and work excuses. The media wasn't his friend as his escapades were all over social media. As the years passed he grew worse. Drinking was his hobby and sometimes it felt like he was trying to get an Olympic medal for it.

Somehow, she had always found a way to forgive him. He would get her presents to show how sorry he was but even though she didn't want any, she collected them all the same just to make him believe that she had forgiven him. The presents were endless. She had a mansion in Lekki, a Ferrari, a Porsche Carerra GT, Jeweleries of all kinds, money in the bank. He did just about anything to prove he was sorry. Then the next week or probably the next month, a friend would send her a link and then the begging routine would start. She had become so scared of links. Why was it so hard to be faithful. Sometimes she believed she was being punished for the way she had treated men in the past. Her beauty was a blessing and a curse.
"You know how hectic work can be" He was looking at her trying to look innocent.
She wanted to believe him. To tell him how much she loved him. How she imagined their lives together, with children.
She wanted to hug him. To make every lie and every excuse be the truth. But the unopened link on her phone wouldn't let her.
Damilola took a deep breath. Clearing her throat in order to suppress the choking feeling caused by her wanting to cry.
She wanted to sound as audible as possible.
As bold and courageous as she could be.

" I can't do this anymore". "I'm done Emeka. With this relationship, with all your lies, all the nude women you keep hiding in your phone, all the threats from your flings. I'm done". She removed her hands from his, stood up from the chair, clutching her purse as she staggered a little before finding her balance with somewhat immaculate grace, leaving Emeka shocked and in disbelief.

To be continued.
Re: All That Glitters............. by abefe99: 9:25pm On Dec 22, 2016
nice one dear keep it coming
Re: All That Glitters............. by boseshalom(f): 12:25pm On Dec 23, 2016
nice and interesting. keep it coming

(1) (Reply)

Nonfiction Writers Needed. / My Fiance Is Holy ( A Christian Love Story By Mercy Oluwafunmito Adebisi.) / Lucky London (Drugs,import.selling & Murder) Full Documentary!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.