Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries (4310 Views)

A Patient Tests Positive For COVID-19 In Cross-River - UCTH / Abia HMB Workers Protest, Shutdown Offices Over 11 Months Unpaid Salaries / Man Brings His Generator For Child’s Treatment At UCTH - photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:21am On Dec 23, 2016
No fewer than 40 casual staff of University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH) embarked on massive protest on the 20th December 2016 over nonpayment of 14 months’ salaries.

They were led by Comrade Fortune Sampson, said to be the head of the sanitation department of the hospital.

Reacting, Chief Medical Director of the Hospital, Professor Thomas Agan, appealed to the striking workers to suspend their action, as the management was making efforts to pay them.

As reported by dailytrust.com.ng, the workers barricaded the entry gate to the hospital as early as 6 am, chanting solidarity songs and stopping both staff and patients from accessing the hospital. Both cars and pedestrians were turned back by the angry workers.

Speaking to journalists, Sampson said, “We handle the sanitation of the hospital by cleaning the offices, toilets, mortuary and floors and for 14 months now we have not been paid our monthly stipends in spite of the hazardous work we do.”

Sampson said they were irked by a letter dated Monday, 19th December from the hospital management terminating their appointments without any word about their backlog of salaries.

“We have worked with this hospital for five years now on a monthly allowance of N15,000 and for the past one year and four months , I have not been paid and yet I have been reporting for work only for them to tell me my services are no more required,” Samson said.

http://brainnewsng.com/ucth-workers-protest-unpaid-salaries/

cc: Seun, Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:22am On Dec 23, 2016
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Neimar: 8:43am On Dec 23, 2016
Nigeria is doomed

1 Like

Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Okundaye4(m): 8:43am On Dec 23, 2016
They voted for change. So if hear pim, them go hear wen.
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by cycline404(m): 8:43am On Dec 23, 2016
14 months? How?

A whole 1 year you go home to tell your family stories?
How do they feed?
How?
How?
I can't imagine 1 year 2 months. And they can speak up just few days to Xmas.

Fela, saw Nigeria from beginning to the end and even profound the solution, until we use the man's template and idea, Nigeria will never go forward.

Suffering and smiling.

1 Like

Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by ryanmartini: 8:46am On Dec 23, 2016
ahahaaha
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by GEJPosterity: 8:46am On Dec 23, 2016
In Nigeria, you just can't win. To get a job is a job on its own. To get paid is a problem.

Even if you are self employed and run your own business, clients will owe you up and down even worse than when you are an employee being owed salaries. I myself am a living witness to this. To get the client is stress. To make them commit to a project is a marathon event. To get them to approve your work after going back and forth several times is war. Then after all that, when it is time to pay, they will start clearing their throat and speaking English. Many of them will just ignore you altogether and pretend you don't exist. When you call, it's their receptionist that will answer. When you send emails, no reply.

Then after several weeks they will pay like 25% of what they are meant to pay and then dump another impossible assignment and deadline on your head, linking the payment of your outstanding to the delivery of this new project. I did this merry go round for most of 2016 before I looked in the mirror one day and saw a patch of shiny white hair on my 26 year old head. Then I realised I was literally dying, and for what? So now I'm back to paid employment but processing my Canadian permanent residency.

I think it's time we stop pretending to ourselves and accept that Nigeria is a dying country running a poverty economy. There is no way out. The best thing anyone can do for themselves right now is to get out. This place is hell itself.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Mrdecent(m): 8:46am On Dec 23, 2016
Wicked leaders everywhere
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Airforce1(m): 8:47am On Dec 23, 2016
This is pure wickedness.

don't blame them if hunger make them get a gun and come rob your house

wicked people.
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Okaakoko(m): 8:50am On Dec 23, 2016
this is sad
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Sanuzi(m): 8:55am On Dec 23, 2016
ok
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by rozayx5(m): 9:02am On Dec 23, 2016
like i said

those who called Nigeria a ZOO

get proved right by the way undecided undecided
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by Desdola(m): 9:04am On Dec 23, 2016
Where are we heading to in this country?
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by walemoney007(m): 9:05am On Dec 23, 2016
[quote author=cycline404 post=52185377]14
Fela, saw Nigeria from beginning to the end and even profound the solution, until we use the man's template and idea, Nigeria will never go forward.

Suffering and smilling
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by EvangelistNdudi(m): 9:06am On Dec 23, 2016
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by walemoney007(m): 9:07am On Dec 23, 2016
GEJPosterity:
In Nigeria, you just can't win. To get a job is a job on its own. To get paid is a problem.

Even if you are self employed and run your own business, clients will owe you up and down even worse than when you are an employee being owed salaries. I myself am a living witness to this. To get the client is stress. To make them commit to a project is a marathon event. To get them to approve your work after going back and forth several times is war. Then after all that, when it is time to pay, they will start clearing their throat and speaking English. Many of them will just ignore you altogether and pretend you don't exist. When you call, it's their receptionist that will answer. When you send emails, no reply.

Then after several weeks they will pay like 25% of what they are meant to pay and then dump another impossible assignment and deadline on your head, linking the payment of your outstanding to the delivery of this new project. I did this merry go round for most of 2016 before I looked in the mirror one day and saw a patch of shiny white hair on my 26 year old head. Then I realised I was literally dying, and for what? So now I'm back to paid employment but processing my Canadian permanent residency.

I think it's time we stop pretending to ourselves and accept that Nigeria is a dying country running a poverty economy. There is no way out. The best thing anyone can do for themselves right now is to get out. This place is hell itself.
this country is hell on earth

1 Like

Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by BrutalJab: 9:38am On Dec 23, 2016
This is madness.

APC Chain!
Re: UCTH Casual Workers Protest 14 Months Unpaid Salaries by DrObum(m): 10:11am On Dec 23, 2016
This is totally unacceptable and gross irresponsibility from the management of UCTH!

(1) (Reply)

Die Hard Survivor: Baby Clutches Unto The IUD Planted To Prevent His Conception / She Is Having Persistent Droplet,from Her Private Part, Any Solution? / FG To Recruit 2,000 Additional Midwives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.