Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,678 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Learn A Trade Today - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Learn A Trade Today (1260 Views)

Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours / Learning A Trade/vocation? Opinions Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn A Trade Today by AjanleKoko: 9:56pm On Nov 17, 2009
How nice it would be to live in a country where there is dignity of labour, and people are ready to work with their hands.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5481408-147/story.csp
Re: Learn A Trade Today by Cristalz(f): 12:27pm On Nov 30, 2009
Money, dearie.  .  .people need money and they need it yesterday. grin
That determines what people go into these days. Everyone wants something lucrative 'cos the present state of the country is. . .*sigh*
Re: Learn A Trade Today by AjanleKoko: 4:42pm On Dec 01, 2009
@Cristalz,
The money definitely aint coming, and anytime soon.
Even the government is bleeding. Anyway, I knew this was never going to happen in Nigeria. The rudies in the Political section will write till they're 80, but nothing will change.
Re: Learn A Trade Today by Cristalz(f): 9:50am On Dec 02, 2009
LOL grin
Even you. . .if your son, a B.Sc Geology holder, tells you he feels he is very skilled at Carpentry and wants to go into that, make good furniture for the nation. . .would you let him? grin
Re: Learn A Trade Today by AjanleKoko: 3:44pm On Dec 02, 2009
What happened to my topic

@Cristalz, yes, I would, and finance him too.
My uncle studied accounting, worked in SCOA for many years, resigned, and set up a furniture workshop. He actually learnt carpentary skills at some point.

Also, you don't live in Lagos, right, but there is a dude in Oregun, popular mechanic, went to UI, didn't study engineering, but basically fixes exotic cars now. He learnt how to fix cars, and has seriously improved himself. Charges are mind-blowing.

Most of the jobs we do in the office are actually technician or handyman jobs. Some so-called 'accountants' are just mere clerks, some systems engineers are actually help-desk technicians, etc, etc. So why not learn a trade, even if you go to college or not? We need to have a skilled population.
Re: Learn A Trade Today by MrCrackles(m): 9:02am On Dec 03, 2009
That is it. . .I am learning how to fix broken airconditioners from next week. . . cool
Re: Learn A Trade Today by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On Dec 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

That is it. . .I am learning how to fix broken airconditioners from next week. . . cool

LOL cheesy cheesy cheesy

But seriously, this is for the guys who finished school, and don't have a job. Some people write endlessly about how they graduated with a third class and can't find a job, on this forum. Why don't they learn a trade?

I know a guy (as always!) who studied economics in Unilag, migrated to the UK for an MBA, dropped out due to fund issues, and learnt building.
He's actually living in the UK now, running a construction business. He renovates homes, and does small and medium building projects, and is doing pretty good.
Re: Learn A Trade Today by Lolladey(f): 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2009
really want to learn how to make cake and its decorations but its quite expensive for someone like me.
Re: Learn A Trade Today by Cristalz(f): 11:09pm On Dec 03, 2009
Why is it expensive?
Isn't it a matter of finding someone good at it to teach you? Or you want to go to a bakery school or something?

I think it's a good idea though. People always require cakes.
Re: Learn A Trade Today by MrCrackles(m): 11:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
Cristalz:

Why is it expensive?
Isn't it a matter of finding someone good at it to teach you? Or you want to go to a bakery school or something?

I think it's a good idea though. People always require cakes.
Can you teach her for free Crizzle Drizzle
Re: Learn A Trade Today by Debangis20(m): 8:43am On Feb 05, 2023
cool Yes, learn it, esp. today. 7 yr older than this decade thread.

(1) (Reply)

Tsunami Hits Bankphb Again / Thank God I Just Got An Appointment As A Logistic Officer I Need Help / Hr@fidson.com Is Not Going Thru! HELP!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.