Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,836 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? (11665 Views)

Check Out The Response To A Question An Interviewee Said During An Interview / The Question An Interviewee Asked Her Interviwer / How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by AjalaJ(m): 8:48am On Dec 23, 2016
I rarely give candidates feedback on red flags they give off during interviews, mostly because it is really hard to deliver this feedback without offending them. I spent 10 years as a recruiter and interviewed thousands of candidates. Now as Co-Founder of Betterteam, a recruitment platform for small businesses, I have access to real world data across many industries on why candidates fail interviews.

These are the top 7 that I see most often in why our clients reject candidates.

1. Talking about compensation too often

Generally I will raise this once at the beginning of the interview and if you are within the range for the role we can move on and talk about other things. I wrote more about this in a recent Quora question "Adam Seabrook's answer to How should I respond when an interviewer asks what your current base salary is?" Once salary has been discussed, try not to keep going back to this as a candidate who is primarily motivated by money rarely gets past the first interview.

2. Bad introduction

I wrote a lot more about this in "Adam Seabrook's answer to How should you introduce yourself in an interview?" on Quora. Most people form their opinion of you in the first 30 seconds so if your introduction is not great, it impacts the rest of the interview.

3. LinkedIn profile does not match their resume

As a LinkedIn profile is public, candidates are less likely to fill it full of half-truths or outright lies. It is very common for me to find roles on LinkedIn that are missing on the resume, massive differences in start/finish dates, and huge differences in title. I question candidates on this and it is very uncomfortable for them when they get caught. My own LinkedIn profile has roles missing but I happily volunteer why that is the case.

4. Low energy/motivation

I don't expect candidates to blast into the interview like a 100m sprinter but if they come across as low energy I find it very hard to get past that. When digging into details of how they work, it is often clear they are happy to coast along and are not a great fit for a company that likes their staff to be very self-motivated and driven.

5. Strange things in the background during video interviews

I won't list some of the horrendous things I have seen in the background of candidate video interviews. You really don't want a boardroom of people seeing half the stuff you have laying about your house. Be sure to check behind you and make sure there is nothing there you do not want the interviewer to see. Also make sure you have privacy so nobody wanders into view. If you want to dramatically improve your video interview quality, follow this video on how to set up your lighting.

6. Weird things on their social profiles

I always do a bit of Googling before I interview a candidate. In most cases it is fine but there are times where I find things that are going to impact the candidates’ chances of securing the role. Assume anything you post online is public and you won't have this issue.

7. Not 100% sure what role they want

Many candidates start hunting for a job before they have a clear view of what role they want. When interviewing, I probe on this point and if I feel the candidate is interviewing across too many incompatible roles then I usually decline. Normally the candidate will get to the offer stage then withdraw, or accept and then switch jobs very quickly when they realise they made a bad career move.

Final Thoughts

Don't try to drastically change who you are to slip through interviews. Often what one person considers a red flag others will see as a positive. In general, though, anything you do that consistently comes across as dishonest, abrupt, rude, lazy, uncomfortable, etc., you should work on as that rarely has a positive impact on your interview.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-biggest-red-flags-in-an-interviewee-1

Neteller here: www..com.ng

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by maxwell767(m): 10:27am On Dec 23, 2016
-
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Qyubee(m): 1:05am On Dec 24, 2016
NICE @ OP
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by ebpius1(m): 7:00am On Dec 24, 2016
Be right back
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by CodeHouse: 7:02am On Dec 24, 2016
Nice and True
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Blurryface(m): 7:02am On Dec 24, 2016
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Delightbaby(f): 7:03am On Dec 24, 2016
On point @ op
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Goldenheart(m): 7:04am On Dec 24, 2016
sad

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Babs24: 7:05am On Dec 24, 2016
Great Tips
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by fbtowner(m): 7:07am On Dec 24, 2016
job seekers were at thou.

#team_ceo

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Alasi20(m): 7:08am On Dec 24, 2016
cool cool
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by AvsGot007(m): 7:10am On Dec 24, 2016
I don't know why we must make things hard for interviewees
just give him/her the damn job first
if he/she can not display the kinda drama you want during the session doesn't mean he/she won't handle the job fantastically

10 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by MrPresident1: 7:10am On Dec 24, 2016
E ko oshi kuro jare grin,

Wanted 23 years old first class graduate with 30 years working experience.

#NdiUwaUmebi angry

5 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by jaid23: 7:12am On Dec 24, 2016
Dear God,

The only one thing i want for this new yr presnt is the FREEWILL TO GET A JOB WITH EASE I knw and I'm sure you can do this for me.. Baba biko, i dont wanna start wandering the street of lagos or wasting internet data ontop jobberman site looking for job. My hopes are high on this Oh! God.

Yours sincerly,
One of ur faithful servant.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by IMASTEX: 7:14am On Dec 24, 2016
Nice info, though not applicable to the Nigeria labour market.
Who do know settles it all.
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by oluwabishop: 7:14am On Dec 24, 2016
"Generally I will raise this once at the beginning of the interview and if you are within the range for the role we can move on and talk about other things"

So if the candidate isn't within the range the interviewers expects, what happened to benefit of doubt and probably negotiating along the range, albeit succinctly? Or a candidate simply loses the chance because they don't know what their interviewer has in mind as a particular range of salary expectations? Mind you that in Nigeria, making enquiries about salary of a role is difficult. Staff aren't forthcoming with the actual facts.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by blazer234: 7:22am On Dec 24, 2016
bigproff:
HIDDEN SECRET OF BITCOINS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW

I fell in love with bitcoin about a month ago and have never looked back since then. I forgot my daily #just2odd match prediction post on facebook.
Over a month period, I learned as much as I can about this hot/new virtual currency and I've bought, sold and traded a few bitcoins myself. Now, I want to share with you what I know! Enjoy.

When I first wrote about BITCOINS last month, many thought it was a joke. Now it has turn a reality.

Are u aware that as at this morning in the foreign exchange market that one bitcoin is now $903 in value, from the previous $720 late last month.
I.e 1bitcoin (BTC)=903 US dollar 

If you calculate with the current dollar to naira exchange rate, you will see that 
$903= 451500 naira?
Since $1 = 500 naira

That means 
1bitcoin = N451,500 (Almost half a million naira)

Bitcoin has gained ground in the foreign exchange market. Almost all online markets now prefer transactions via bitcoins due to its frequent increase in value. 

Earlier last month, the exchange rate is at
$720 to 1bitcoin
But as at this morning, the exchange rate has increased to 
$903 to 1bitcoin. Which is $183 increase in value.

And has u all know that with the current economic situation in our country Nigeria now, if you have $1, it is equivalent to having about N500
How much more when you have 1bitcoin in your account.

To exchange this to our nigeria naira, you will be receiving roughly N451,500

The SECRET am about to REVEAL to you now is what most online marketing GURUS will put together for you as an E-BOOK and give it out at a very high price But here you are, getting it for FREE.

Think of how fulfilled you will be if you have about 64bitcoins in your account.

Chat me on whatsapp and let me teach you for FREE, how you can generate Bitcoins online and MAKE it grow upto 64btc within within few periods, with my Bitcoin extraction strategy. 

Don't say "Na lie! Na lie!!" Just ask me HOW?

Don't wait until you start hearing TESTIMONIES from others before you make a move.

Instead of doubting and criticising and over analyzing (which is the default mode of a typical Nigerian), why not press forwad to know more and be guided properly?

The world has gone past the age where you have to use a hoe and a cutlass or work 8-5 to be able to make a living.
This is the Internet age where ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! Give it a try today, even for curiosity sake.

Success is a JOURNEY not a DESTINATION.
SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR OPPORTUNITIES TO HELP OTHERS. WHILE THE
UNSUCCESSFUL ONES ARE ALWAYS ASKING "Whats in it for me?"
AT FIRST, THEY WILL ASK WHY YOU'RE DOING IT. BUT LATER, THEY WILL ASK HOW YOU DID IT.

You can simply ignore this post or say yes to Financial Freedom. The choice is yours. But Don’t Forget that,
P===== Passing 
O=====Over 
O=====Opportunities 
R=====Repeatedly 
........................... Makes One Poor.

Due to rules and regulations regarding post on nairaland I couldn't add my contact on the post.
Check my signature for my whatsapp contact and let me show you how to be independent and make a living for yourself with bitcoin. 

(To Our Collective Success).

This is exactly how MLM people advertise
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by nmreports: 7:26am On Dec 24, 2016
When a recruiter says we will get back to you. See the meaning here: http://www.hrtechnique.com
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by passyhansome(m): 7:27am On Dec 24, 2016
jaid23:
Dear God,

The only one thing i want for this new yr presnt is the FREEWILL TO GET A JOB WITH EASE I knw and I'm sure you can do this for me.. Baba biko, i dont wanna start wandering the street of lagos or wasting internet data ontop jobberman site looking for job. My hopes are high on this Oh! God.

Yours sincerly,
One of ur faithful servant.

By this time Next Year, you will be on Nairaland to Flaunt your new car, and narrate how great your job and year has been

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Coldfaya(m): 7:31am On Dec 24, 2016
I like your closing Remark. try arranging yourself but don't over change cos there's always a job that suits your character and skills
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by GlorifiedSon: 7:38am On Dec 24, 2016
Merry Christmas Nairalanders..just in case you haven't got your meat contact me for live goat (around Ajah)
Check my profile for more details.
Thanks for the patronage so far.
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by DrObum(m): 8:54am On Dec 24, 2016
Somebody give this OP a chilled beer and a sack of cookies in my name
Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by Babysheart(f): 9:39am On Dec 24, 2016
AjalaJ:
I rarely give candidates feedback on red flags they give off during interviews, mostly because it is really hard to deliver this feedback without offending them. I spent 10 years as a recruiter and interviewed thousands of candidates. Now as Co-Founder of Betterteam, a recruitment platform for small businesses, I have access to real world data across many industries on why candidates fail interviews.

Generally I will raise this once at the beginning of the interview and if you are within the range for the role we can move on and talk about other things. I wrote more about this in a recent Quora question "Adam Seabrook's answer to How should I respond when an interviewer asks what your current base salary is?" Once salary has been discussed, try not to keep going back to this as a candidate who is primarily motivated by money rarely gets past the first interview.

2. Bad introduction

I wrote a lot more about this in "Adam Seabrook's answer to How should you introduce yourself in an interview?" on Quora. Most people form their opinion of you in the first 30 seconds so if your introduction is not great, it impacts the rest of the interview.

As a LinkedIn profile is public, candidates are less likely to fill it full of half-truths or outright lies. It is very common for me to find roles on LinkedIn that are missing on the resume, massive differences in start/finish dates, and huge differences in title. I question candidates on this and it is very uncomfortable for them when they get caught. My own LinkedIn profile has roles missing but I happily volunteer why that is the case.

4. Low energy/motivation

I don't expect candidates to blast into the interview like a 100m sprinter but if they come across as low energy I find it very hard to get past that. When digging into details of how they work, it is often clear they are happy to coast along and are not a great fit for a company that likes their staff to be very self-motivated and driven.

I won't list some of the horrendous things I have seen in the background of candidate video interviews. You really don't want a boardroom of people seeing half the stuff you have laying about your house. Be sure to check behind you and make sure there is nothing there you do not want the interviewer to see. Also make sure you have privacy so nobody wanders into view. If you want to dramatically improve your video interview quality, follow this video on how to set up your lighting.

I always do a bit of Googling before I interview a candidate. In most cases it is fine but there are times where I find things that are going to impact the candidates’ chances of securing the role. Assume anything you post online is public and you won't have this issue.

Many candidates start hunting for a job before they have a clear view of what role they want. When interviewing, I probe on this point and if I feel the candidate is interviewing across too many incompatible roles then I usually decline. Normally the candidate will get to the offer stage then withdraw, or accept and then switch jobs very quickly when they realise they made a bad career move.

Final Thoughts

Don't try to drastically change who you are to slip through interviews. Often what one person considers a red flag others will see as a positive. In general, though, anything you do that consistently comes across as dishonest, abrupt, rude, lazy, uncomfortable, etc., you should work on as that rarely has a positive impact on your interview.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-biggest-red-flags-in-an-interviewee-1

What about things like their grandmother's age, the size of their nose and if they have greying hair?

All because they want a job. I wish I can interview someday..

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? by lonelydora: 12:21pm On Dec 24, 2016
AjalaJ:

2. Bad introduction

4. Low energy/motivation

Final Thoughts

Boss, I am looking for work please. Can I forward my CV? grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Not More Than 28 Years / Should I Quit My Job While I Haven't Got Another One? / How To Get Recruiters’ Attention When Applying For Jobs By E-mail - Vineck.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.