Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Stinginess - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Stinginess (550 Views)

Ijebu People, Stinginess And Juju: The Alare Apology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stinginess by omonnakoda: 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2016
One of the things I find interesting about Nigerian folk men and women is their complaining use of the term stingy.I have lived in foreign countries for a number of years and am struck by a sharp difference in attitude. In Britain if you ask a guy at work to go to a bar for drinks he will say he cannot if he is broke.Why? he does not expect you to buy drinks for him.The ritual is you buy the first round.He buys the next round and so on. In Nigeria it is different . You as your frien to go for drinks and YOU buy and buy and buy. If you do that you are generous/
Now when it comes to dating the story the same women expect to pay for their drinks and if it is food they expect to pay half. In America they are a bit different and the guy would pay often(not always).
Leaving dates and drinks out of it generally in Nigeria we have this "help me attitude".

Help meaning give me money .We have no pride or shame when it comes to receiving substantial cash from friends and family in fact we feel ENTITLED to it and when such munificence is not forthcoming from a well to do friend or relatives who makes it big then he is stingy.

One thing I have observed is this

RICH PEOPLE never complain about stinginess

If you hear any Nigerian complaining about stinginess be assured that he is a pauper,an impoverished never do well church rat seeking to benefit from others' handwork.
The funny thing about such people is they have expensive taste and spend money in ways that their benefactors would never do.

Our folk need to change.
If you are rich I suggest this Christmas making gifts to the poor and needy whom you do not know from anywhere. Avoid giving to those who think they have a right to your wealth.THEY DO NOT

1 Like

Re: Stinginess by bigfrancis21: 6:07am On Dec 28, 2016
Omonnakoda's first sensible post on nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Zulu Tribes Reed Dance In African Vacation / {HD} Happy Dussehra 2017 Images Picture Photos Wallpapers Pics Animated Gif Imag / Vulture Delivers Letter To Monarch In Akwaibom/ Orders Him To Vacate Throne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.