Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,673 members, 7,820,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel (861 Views)

Top 10 Inverter Batteries In Nigeria 2019 / Hope Emmanuel Frank Used Wood And Laptop Batteries To Construct Excavator / ⚡Solar Panels And Batteries In Nigeria - Special Dealer Clearances Only 1 Week⚡ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by Afokeoghen: 11:13am On Dec 27, 2016
Hello House,
I wish to connect three batteries into my reachable fan..
6 volts, 4.5mA each.
Originally two batteries were connected in series.. Which make

Now for back up I wanna add one more battery to make three of the same rating 6 volts, 4.5mA..
The fan source's Max output is 15 volts.. Meaning I cannot connect the three in series.. Cos it will turn out to be 18volts.

My question is can I connect the third battery in parallel to one of the two in series (i.e 12volts, 4.5)?

So I have 12volts, 9.0mA..

Practical contributions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by bigtt76(f): 11:21am On Dec 27, 2016
For longer use time, you need to connect an additional 2 6v 4.5mA batteries in series and connect same to the existing 2 6v 4.5mA batteries in parallel.

Note when in series, you're increasing the voltage while in parallel, you are extending the use time. I hope this helps.

What this mean is that if the current setup of 2 6v 4.5mA connected in series gives you 5 hours of use, an additional 2 6.v 4.5mA first connected in series and then in parallel to the existing will add an additional 5 hours of use.

Doing contrary would increase the voltage and current more than the fan can handle resulting in it damaging vital components inside.
Re: Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 27, 2016
Afokeoghen:
Hello House,
I wish to connect three batteries into my reachable fan..
6 volts, 4.5mA each.
Originally two batteries were connected in series.. Which make

Now for back up I wanna add one more battery to make three of the same rating 6 volts, 4.5mA..
The fan source's Max output is 15 volts.. Meaning I cannot connect the three in series.. Cos it will turn out to be 18volts.

My question is can I connect the third battery in parallel to one of the two in series (i.e 12volts, 4.5)?

So I have 12volts, 9.0mA..

Practical contributions will be appreciated.
Thanks
You can do it, but no time you will damage the one battery that doesn't have an extra battery connected in parallel to it. It will be thrown out of balance.
Re: Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by Afokeoghen: 12:41pm On Dec 27, 2016
bigtt76:
What this mean is that if the current setup of 2 6v 4.5mA connected in series gives you 5 hours of use, an additional 2 6.v 4.5mA first connected in series and then in parallel to the existing will add an additional 5 hours of use.

Doing contrary would increase the voltage and current more than the fan can handle resulting in it damaging vital components inside.
Thanks alot, I actually have one extra 6v 4.5mA...
I don't want to join the series cos I believe it will make the voltage be 18 exceeding the max 15v than the fan can handle.
How do you advise I connect the three 6v,4.5mA?
Thanks
Re: Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by Afokeoghen: 12:47pm On Dec 27, 2016
LordVale:

Thanks. But really.. What result will the (3)connections give me..
12v 4.5mA or 12 volt 9mA?
The two new set of batteries did not pick after several hours of charging.. That's y I want to add one more to the set actually.
Re: Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by perloomey(m): 3:27pm On Dec 27, 2016
Afokeoghen:

Thanks. But really.. What result will the (3)connections give me..
12v 4.5mA or 12 volt 9mA?
The two new set of batteries did not pick after several hours of charging.. That's y I want to add one more to the set actually.
U have 3batteries of 6v 4.5mA, and Uve already added two in series to give 12v 4.5mA and if u add the third in series u get 18v 4.5mA and if u add the three in parallel u get 6v 13.5mA but u can never add two in series and add one in parallel
If u must add in parallel it must be in multiple of two's

1 Like

Re: Connecting Batteries In Series And Parallel by bigtt76(f): 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2016
I go with the comments and @embolden, I think you stand a chance of not making any headway out of adding an additional battery. Let me tell you what happens practically when you have two batteries in series and additional two series in parallel.

When the power on the first two in series gets drained, the extra two in series and parallel starts discharging its power through the first one ...kind of recharging it. When you use one in parallel to the existing two, you are basically trying to recharge two batteries using one. That one would quickly lose its charging capacity and dies off in no time.

I was also going to point out that with the new setup, the existing charging system of the fan would not be able to deliver the required charge for the batteries. you would need to get a new battery charger with capacity to charge the batteries outside the fan.

LordVale:

You can do it, but no time you will damage the one battery that doesn't have an extra battery connected in parallel to it. It will be thrown out of balance.

and

perloomey:

U have 3batteries of 6v 4.5mA, and Uve already added two in series to give 12v 4.5mA and if u add the third in series u get 18v 4.5mA and if u add the three in parallel u get 6v 13.5mA but u can never add two in series and add one in parallel
If u must add in parallel it must be in multiple of two's

Afokeoghen:

Thanks alot, I actually have one extra 6v 4.5mA...
I don't want to join the series cos I believe it will make the voltage be 18 exceeding the max 15v than the fan can handle.
How do you advise I connect the three 6v,4.5mA?
Thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Convert MSG File To EML File? / Fabfilter Total Bundle Crack 2024.1 With License Key / Easeus Data Recovery Wizard 17.0.1 Crack With License Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.