Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse (722 Views)

Law School Result: University Of Ibadan Produces 3 First Class Out Of Total Of 5 / Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites / First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by bakry86: 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2016
NIGERIA EDUCATION ON THE EDGE OF A PRECIPICE
For several years, education sector in Nigeria has been faced with numerous challenges bordering on low budgetary allocation and under funding. This is undoubtedly having a telling consequence on the sector’s quality of service and our collective development.
The end to the problems seems not to be in sight as the stakeholders in the sector recently expressed dissatisfaction on the amount allocated to the sector in the 2017 budget, saying it was nothing compare to the enormous problems bedeviling the sector.
A friend had once asked me what I intended to become in the nearest future and I didn’t hesitate before telling him I want to be an academic. He looked very confused and disappointed. Thinking aloud! How someone would choose to remain poor throughout his entire life? He boldly asked me, ‘don’t you think being an academic would make you a poor man? Well, I asked him to tell me if money guarantees happiness in life. Then the chapter closed.
The hope is waning. Everything is in a shambles. The government is hell-bent on murdering the sector. In Nigeria of today, what the researchers are experiencing is not under funding but Zero funding. OYO! That awkward moment one has to wait indefinitely to get a scholarship or grant abroad before a research could be done, due to lack of necessary equipment in the country.
To the Colleagues, Senior Colleagues and ‘Ogas’ conducting research abroad, be reminded that status quo still remain here. We are still using two buckets to improvise water pump, filter paper in place of extraction thimble. It may also interest you to know that we are still, in some cases, struggling to get ice to carry out ‘common’ condensation, while mouth pipetting has not gone into extinction in our labs. So, perhaps you may consider buying some apparatus and equipment from your hard-earned foreign stipend when coming to your motherland. If you deem it necessary to come back though.
To think that Nigerians who are supposed to keep the government on their toes as regards educational matters are doing nothing to salvage the sector from total collapse baffles one to the bone. Some lecturers have not been paid their salaries and entitlements for over seven months let alone getting a research grant, yet it has never been the talk of the day on our dallies and or social media.
Unfortunately, the youth who are supposedly the leaders of tomorrow have been engrossed in frivolities. They make news from the things that would not bring us any development. If it’s not ‘Jumoke the bread seller’ it would be ‘Linda vs wizkid’ or Tiwa’s marriage. What’s more appalling is the fact that students who bear the brunt of this unfair treatment the most are also guilty of this misplaced priority. They only rant incessantly when ASUU goes on strike.
Do you know of any great Nation where leaders do not take educational matters seriously? Take it from me, the stark reality is that we can never have any meaningful progress until we get our acts together and give attention to the matters that matter. If we could engage the government to reverse the orchestrated data hike, then we can do better to pull our education back from the brink.
Re: Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 27, 2016
It begins with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by LordIsaac(m): 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2016
When you can boldly create a thread with a wrong diction....our education is truly on the edge of a precipice! grin
Re: Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by bakry86: 11:02pm On Dec 27, 2016
2kaybiel:
It begins with you.
It begins with all of us.

1 Like

Re: Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by bakry86: 11:04pm On Dec 27, 2016
LordIsaac:
When you can boldly create a thread with a wrong diction....our education is truly on the edge of a precipice! grin

How?

1 Like

Re: Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by IBAG(m): 1:22am On Dec 28, 2016
hi all, i just found out this site www.edusko.com Please visit it cause i just did for the best schools in Nigeria and beyond. Nigeria still has something to offer us all. Thanks.
Re: Help! Nigeria Education On the Verge of Total Collapse by bakry86: 7:31am On Dec 28, 2016
IBAG:
hi all, i just found out this site www.edusko.com Please visit it cause i just did for the best schools in Nigeria and beyond. Nigeria still has something to offer us all. Thanks.

best schools indeed.

(1) (Reply)

Death In The Schools In Queens College Lagos / Jamb Postponed The MOCK Examination..apologize For The Inconvenience. / General Appeal To All Naira Landers, Please View The Thread Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.