Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,685 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam (13748 Views)

Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) / 1,200 Yr Old Cross Found In Pakistan Implies Christianity Was There Before Islam / Father Mbaka Speaks On Onitsha Fire: Don't Blame Hausas, Obiano Should Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by BOJO123(m): 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
In secondary school we were taught about our traditional religions before Christianity and Islam became paramount in Nigeria,but it baffles me that whenever they teach us this history the traditional religion of the Hausas or Fulani's is never mentioned in class. Or is it that they didn't own one form of ancient religion or the other before the coming of Islam?
Before the advent of the main dominant religions in Nigeria it was evident that most ethnic tribes had Thier own traditional form of religious activities.
In the OYO empire, Oduduwa, Sango, Obatala symbolised the numerous gods the people worshipped.
The igbos before Christianity also worshiped gods, Amadioha to be precised was at the apex of such god's.
But it baffles me that we don't know what Hausas or Fulani's worshiped then
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by smartanthony5: 3:06pm On Dec 28, 2016
ur question is true.i think they in the right direction to answer the question.hausa-yoruba oya

2 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Paretomaster(m): 3:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
Traditional religion like the rest of Africa I guess,but islam has eroded that long ago.

don't have any prove, but, there are still traces of such, like believe in d god of iron, those playing with knives, god of thunder, Bori.. etc.....

4 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by BOJO123(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
Paretomaster:
Traditional religion like the rest of Africa I guess,but islam has eroded that long ago.

don't have any prove, but, there are still traces of such, like believe in d god of iron, those playing with knives, god of thunder, Bori.. etc.....
Yh you are right to some extent.... But it's just like nothing of such ever existed among the Hausas no trace no historical articles or even the common oral source to show that tradition religion existed

3 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Rilwayne001: 3:34pm On Dec 28, 2016
BOJO123:

Yh you are right to some extent.... But it's just like nothing of such ever existed among the Hausas no trace no historical articles or even the common oral source to show that tradition religion existed

There's a guy on this platform named PAGAN9JA. He's a pagan; Hausa Pagan that is. https://www.nairaland.com/pagan9ja
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Paretomaster(m): 3:38pm On Dec 28, 2016
BOJO123:

there are traces, it's just that the Hausa Man accept islam wholeheartedly, and do away with any other things.....

for instance, there is a mountain along my father's village, my mum told me they were told ppl go to the mountain and slaughter a goat when their is need for rain, and before the villagers return to the village, there will be heavy rainfall...

she also gave example of a shrine like areas. where ppl go to swear when their is a disagreement, and whoever is guilty will be strike down by thunder....after some days..., and I have also witness ppl dress in white like the OLORISA found in Yoruba land...this one's are called en Bori.....u see ppl play with snakes, ppls in charge of River all still exist in Hausa land, but as pointed out earlier, all that is being frowned at due to the acceptance of Islam.

3 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by originalKsp(m): 7:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
Paretomaster:

there are traces, it's just that the Hausa Man accept islam wholeheartedly, and do away with any other things.....

for instance, there is a mountain along my father's village, my mum told me they were told ppl go to the mountain and slaughter a goat when their is need for rain, and before the villagers return to the village, there will be heavy rainfall...

she also gave example of a shrine like areas. where ppl go to swear when their is a disagreement, and whoever is guilty will be strike down by thunder....after some days..., and I have also witness ppl dress in white like the OLORISA found in Yoruba land...this one's are called en Bori.....u see ppl play with snakes, ppls in charge of River all still exist in Hausa land, but as pointed out earlier, all that is being frowned at due to the acceptance of Islam.

2 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Auki: 11:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
Hausa recognised a supreme deity, Ubangiji (The originator) and they never carve Idols to represent God. He also seeks help from Jinns using bori, boka, dogowa, dandukushi e.t.c.

As Fulani I guess they were always Muslim with some cultural modifications.

Allah knows best

6 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by lepasharon(f): 12:36am On Dec 29, 2016
PAGAN9JA
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:41pm On Dec 29, 2016
The traditional religion of the Hausa is Bori . Pagan Hausa are called Maguzawa/Maguzanci / Arna . Many christian Hausa even now identify as Maguzawa as the missionaries found it easy to proselytyze among some of our communities.

I won't go into too many details of Bori. its a lot.

But you can find Bori in some old neighborhoods of Kano and other Hausa states. Purer forms of Bori are found in the borders between Nigeria and Niger.
Gods (Iskoki) include:, Ubangiji(Creator abstract), Sarkin Iskoki (The King of all Gods), Maiyaali, Kure (The Great Hyena) , Magiro (on hearing whose name we touch the ground), Jato, Yerima(Galadima), Sarkin Rafi, Mai Aska,Inna, Wazri, Doguwa, Dakaki, Mai JaChikkki, Manzo, Jam Maraki, Sarkin Pawa, Babban Maza, Jigo, Sarkin Barchi, Uwal Yara, etc.

The Chief Priest is usually a female called Sarrounia (Niger esp- higher post) or Magajiya (Nigeria esp)

Fulani pre-islamic religion relics will be found amongst the Mbororoen/Woodabe. some of their initiation and rituals involves invoking these relics of their ancestral faith.

In Fulani religion, the Chief Creator God is Geno (Geno Dundari) .

A famous traditional poem begins thus:

"Geno, the Eternal Lord first created the cow. Then he created the woman, only then the Pullo. He put the woman behind the cow. He put the Pullo behind the woman. It is what the genesis of the drover says, it is what makes the holy trinity of the pastor. Glory to the Creator of all things - the chaos and light; the full egg and the great void! Frrom the drop of milk, he extracted the universe; the teat, he brought out the word. Nomadic speech, longest river of milk that multiplies the meanders between deserts and forests to say and repeat the incredible adventure of Fulɓe."

Other Gods include the sacred hermaphrodite cow/ox called Ndurbeele, symbol of creation, progenitor of the first 22 cattle. This is why nomadic traditional Fulbe rarely kill cattles and protect them over their own lives.

Kumen (i suppose a trixter deity), Foroforondu (Goddess of fertility), Tjaamba (monstrous snake-like deity / guide and protector), Tongo and Rongo (other evil Gods, require sacrifices),etc.

28 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by hopefulLandlord: 8:44pm On Dec 29, 2016
thanks PAGAN9JA
this question has been bouncing in my head for sometime now

3 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by orunto27: 9:05pm On Dec 29, 2016
Hausa/Fulani had no Tradition. Their Culture is wandering which made them fall easy prey to Arabs incursion and which made them Hausa-Arabs and Fulani-Arabs.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by BOJO123(m): 9:53pm On Dec 29, 2016
PAGAN9JA:
The traditional religion of the Hausa is Bori . Pagan Hausa are called Maguzawa/Maguzanci / Arna . Many christian Hausa even now identify as Maguzawa as the missionaries found it easy to proselytyze among some of our communities.

But you can find Bori in some old neighborhoods of Kano and other Hausa states. Purer forms of Bori are found in the borders between Nigeria and Niger.
Gods (Iskoki) include:, Ubangiji(Creator abstract), Sarkin Iskoki (The King of all Gods), Maiyaali, Kure (The Great Hyena) , Magiro (on hearing whose name we touch the ground), Jato, Yerima(Galadima), Sarkin Rafi, Mai Aska,Inna, Wazri, Doguwa, Dakaki, Mai JaChikkki, Manzo, Jam Maraki, Sarkin Pawa, Babban Maza, Jigo, Sarkin Barchi, Uwal Yara, etc.

The Chief Priest is usually a female called Sarrounia (Niger esp- higher post) or Magajiya (Nigeria esp)

Fulani pre-islamic religion relics will be found amongst the Mbororoen/Woodabe. some of their initiation and rituals involves invoking these relics of their ancestral faith.

"Geno, the Eternal Lord first created the cow. Then he created the woman, only then the Pullo. He put the woman behind the cow. He put the Pullo behind the woman. It is what the genesis of the drover says, it is what makes the holy trinity of the pastor. Glory to the Creator of all things - the chaos and light; the full egg and the great void! Frrom the drop of milk, he extracted the universe; the teat, he brought out the word. Nomadic speech, longest river of milk that multiplies the meanders between deserts and forests to say and repeat the incredible adventure of Fulɓe."

Other Gods include the sacred hermaphrodite cow/ox called Ndurbeele, symbol of creation, progenitor of the first 22 cattle. This is why nomadic traditional Fulbe rarely kill cattles and protect them over their own lives.

Kumen (i suppose a trixter deity), Foroforondu (Goddess of fertility), Tjaamba (monstrous snake-like deity / guide and protector), Tongo and Rongo (other evil Gods, require sacrifices),etc.

Wow thanks for the enlightenment

5 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
thanks PAGAN9JA

this question has been bouncing in my head for sometime now

BOJO123:

Wow thanks for the enlightenment

Gods Bless.

3 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by sonofluc1fer: 11:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
PAGAN9JA:

Gods Bless.

Good to see you around. Wish you the best of the season.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Rilwayne001: 6:47am On Dec 30, 2016
OP, i no talk am? grin

PAGAN9JA:

Well done sir.

5 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Lincoln275(m): 7:20am On Dec 30, 2016
good question ooo

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by dalaman: 7:35am On Dec 30, 2016
PAGAN9JA thanks for the update and information.

3 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:51am On Dec 30, 2016
sonofluc1fer:

Good to see you around. Wish you the best of the season.

I popped in here by chance loL.

Best wishes to you too. May the New year be bright.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:05am On Dec 30, 2016
Enjoy this video..

Niger Bori

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-lq75G-C8

3 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by GMBuhari: 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2016
Baaabaaaa

I have no idea, but I have learnt something today

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Nobody: 1:45am On Dec 31, 2016
Each Region Of The Hausa Land Worship Different god. In this case I will use kano.

The initial Hausa inhabitants of Kano worships Tsumburbura a goddess to whom they owe reverence

Tsumburbura live on top of a Hill called Dala which serves as a worship ground. The ancient hill, which stands tall in the city, is so alluring and captivating that anyone on a visit to Kano will desire to see its top

Barbushe, the then chief priest in charge of the ground, is said to be the one mediator between the people and Tsumburbura, the goddess. Barbushe the chief priest is also the soothsayer who foretells the future with the help of the gods. Any sacrifice offered to Tsumburbura is taken up by Barbushe.

Till today, a deep well, popularly known as " Rijiyar kare kukan ka " (the well where you will cry out your tears without help) is on top of Dala hill. The mysterious well is the most frightening myth about the hill. It is so deep that when a stone is dropped into it, it would take about 20 minutes before one could hear the splash of water to signify its landing. A number of people and animals had fallen into the well and could not be rescued. No one has ever fetched water from it because of its depth.

The advent of Islam changed everything because when Islam was accepted in Kano, idol worship stopped.

Dala hill remains one among the ancient monuments of Kano. It is preserved and protected under the Kano History and Culture Bureau. It is also patronised by the Kano Tourism Board by taking tourists and students in both domestic and international circles. Modernity has ensured that climbing to the top of Dala hill no longer poses the strain it may have used to even for Barbushe, as a flight of centuries, steps have been constructed to take one to the top of it.

CC: BOJO123 smartanthony5 Rilwayne001 hopefulLandlord

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by hopefulLandlord: 2:23am On Dec 31, 2016
Nice one Friendchoice

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:21pm On Dec 31, 2016
FriendChoice:
Each Region Of The Hausa Land Worship Different god. In this case I will use kano.

The initial Hausa inhabitants of Kano worships Tsumburbura a goddess to whom they owe reverence

Tsumburbura live on top of a Hill called Dala which serves as a worship ground. The ancient hill, which stands tall in the city, is so alluring and captivating that anyone on a visit to Kano will desire to see its top

Barbushe, the then chief priest in charge of the ground, is said to be the one mediator between the people and Tsumburbura, the goddess. Barbushe the chief priest is also the soothsayer who foretells the future with the help of the gods. Any sacrifice offered to Tsumburbura is taken up by Barbushe.

Till today, a deep well, popularly known as " Rijiyar kare kukan ka " (the well where you will cry out your tears without help) is on top of Dala hill. The mysterious well is the most frightening myth about the hill. It is so deep that when a stone is dropped into it, it would take about 20 minutes before one could hear the splash of water to signify its landing. A number of people and animals had fallen into the well and could not be rescued. No one has ever fetched water from it because of its depth.

The advent of Islam changed everything because when Islam was accepted in Kano, idol worship stopped.

Dala hill remains one among the ancient monuments of Kano. It is preserved and protected under the Kano History and Culture Bureau. It is also patronised by the Kano Tourism Board by taking tourists and students in both domestic and international circles. Modernity has ensured that climbing to the top of Dala hill no longer poses the strain it may have used to even for Barbushe, as a flight of centuries, steps have been constructed to take one to the top of it.

CC: BOJO123 smartanthony5 Rilwayne001 hopefulLandlord

These are all historical stuff from the Kano chronicles.

I'm talking about the present.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 31, 2016
PAGAN9JA:

These are all historical stuff from the Kano chronicles.

I'm talking about the present.

And the OP Question was about history. Just like the way he was being taught in school about Igbo and Yoruba before the Coming of christian missionary.

2 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by MarieSucre(f): 1:44am On Jan 01, 2017
orunto27:
Hausa/Fulani had no Tradition. Their Culture is wandering which made them fall easy prey to Arabs incursion and which made them Hausa-Arabs and Fulani-Arabs.

This posts contains a lot of of misinformation. Hausa's are not arabs. Fulani's are not arabs. They are their own separate ethnicities.

2 Likes

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by MarieSucre(f): 1:46am On Jan 01, 2017
Auki:
Hausa recognised a supreme deity, Ubangiji (The originator) and they never carve Idols to represent God. He also seeks help from Jinns using bori, boka, dogowa, dandukushi e.t.c.

As Fulani I guess they were always Muslim with some cultural modifications.

Allah knows best

Fulani's were not always muslims. They were animists at some point before their nomadic ways brough them into contact with the north African Amazigh who were muslims and this led to their conversion.

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by 419forlife: 7:16pm On Jan 25, 2017
PAGAN9JA:

Pagans are special kind.

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by onetrack(m): 8:16pm On Jan 25, 2017
In the far west of Africa, in Senegal, the Fulani (called Peul in this part of the world) called their religion 'Koumen' and a summary of their beliefs and practices can be found in the link below, though you should consider that the information presented comes from a western anthropologist and so his description and interpretation should be taken with a grain of salt.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1525/aa.1962.64.4.02a00250/pdf

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by 419forlife: 10:52pm On Jan 25, 2017
Yes I am reading wiley link
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Rossikki: 12:21am On Jan 26, 2017
PAGAN9JA:

ANCIENT EGYPT - COW

Symbol of fertility, of the maternal bosom, supplier of the bracing milk, the cow plays a major role in the imagination and the Egyptian myths.

Papyrus of Ani: the Hathor cow presides over the deceased's rebirth in the form of a new sun. Notice the sun between the horns.

''The animal is associated with numerous divine forms, to the formost of which is Hathor and Nut.
From the New Kingdom the idea appears that the sky is the place of gestation where the sun which dies at the end of the day will regenerate during the night. For this reason, it is represented by a feminine entity or by a cow, at the centre of which must take place the different processes, which will allow the handing-over of the world in the morning of a new sun, ready to begin its race in the diurnal sky.
The cow is the receptacle of a sun in becoming, as the deceased's east, which will be born again into the world from the here after.
Some representations show the dead, assimilated into the sun in its form of Re-Horakhty, who returns at morning between two sycamores in the form of a small calf.''

http://www.osirisnet.net/docu/veaux/e_veaux.htm

Yet when I tell you we are the ANCIENT EGYPTIANS, you will be arguing unnecessarily.

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Nobody: 6:12am On Jan 26, 2017
The arabs visited northern nigeria centuries before the portuguese and the brits came. Islam became a part of there culture. Boka was there religion, they believed in herbs and greens. Hausa people na them suppose don develope pass because they first had the oppurtunity to learn to read and write, i doubt if any of them was involved in the slave trade. But them no too sharp.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Know If You Are Truly Born Again. / The Cain And Abel Nature In Every Human Being / Why ‘jingle Bells’ Is Popular Among Christmas Songs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.