Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) (1032 Views)

Sony To Launch Playstation 4 With New Gaming Console / New Xbox Console From Microsoft In 2010 / Sony To Break Ps3 Compatibility With Ps2 In Europe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by kosovo(m): 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2009
Kotaku writes: In a presentation detailing Sony's plans to become profitable by the end of 2010, Sony revealed plans to upgrade Playstation 3 consoles with full 3D support.

The news supports previous reports on Sony's 3D PlayStation 3 strategy, suggesting that a firmware upgrade would introduce the capability to existing consoles. Not only does Sony plan on upgrading the console to support 3D, but release games in 3D as well in order to take advantage of the enhanced capabilities.

Of course, 3D games and 3D televisions would go hand-in-hand, so adding the capability to the PlayStation 3 would definitely help drive at least a few television sale
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by kosovo(m): 10:19pm On Nov 19, 2009
cheesy
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by texazzpete(m): 5:50pm On Nov 20, 2009
Lol.
Sony's betting heavily on this tech. And that's one wrong bet in this console generation. 3D won't make much of an impact.
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by kosovo(m): 9:21pm On Nov 20, 2009
texazzpete:

Lol.
Sony's betting heavily on this tech. And that's one wrong bet in this console generation. 3D won't make much of an impact.

but Microsoft project NATAL!? lols cheesy
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by texazzpete(m): 11:15am On Nov 22, 2009
kosovo:

but Microsoft project NATAL!? lols cheesy

NATAL requires you buy an add-on that will enable motion tracking for the xbox 360. The add-on will definitely be relatively cheap.

3D requires you buy a 3D capable TV (which are more expensive than normal TVs) as well as special 3D glasses for every person viewing the game. I fail to see the comparison between 3D tech and NATAL.

Enabling 3D on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 is merely a matter of software. But as a selling point? Negligible.
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by kosovo(m): 1:52pm On Nov 22, 2009
now you are making me laugh harder,
i tought HD-TV was too expensive for gaming when we heard next gen console would be HD, hmmm, no comment!
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by sjkeri(m): 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2009
i agree with texazzpete. its highly impractical and i really doubt they will make much in d way of profit with this update. 3D tech is still quite expensive and besides people av not yet even recovered from motion gameplay.sony are losing it criusly. their selling skill is getting weaker by the day. as a devout sony fan im very disappointed.
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by icezik1(m): 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2009
I agree Kosovo. Eventually we're all gonna start buying 3D tvs, so this is just a way of getting in on the 3D market. In Nigeria, the way the HD tv market grew was phenomenal, so I don't see why 3D tvs won't catch on. Trust all those big men and women to buy 3D tvs just to show off.
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by texazzpete(m): 11:35pm On Nov 24, 2009
Comparing the purchase of HDTVs to that of 3D Tvs is really retarded, i'm sorry to say.
Do you think it was gaming that drove the HDTV market? HD broadcast, smaller form factors, lighter weights, competitive pricing and digital TV drove the HD purchase rush in countries such as the US.
Home consumer response to 3D TVs is incredibly muted at the moment. There's little 3D content available and the need for special glasses is a serious dampener for sales. Unless new tech comes out, 3D TV sales will only be a fraction of that of non 3D HDTVs.

The HDTV market growth in Nigeria only came about because marketers let go of their stupid assumption that only 'big men' bought HDTVs and they began to market them at affordable prices. No one is gonna go crazy over more expensive TVs that need glasses to be appreciated.
Re: Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D in 2010 (Updated) by kosovo(m): 12:09am On Nov 25, 2009
@TEX
  Did Sony tell you, 3D was only for gaming only, ?
sometimes your comment beats my imagination,
  Sony and Samsung would be pushing 3D viewing next year with the release of their 3D television,
  Sony has the edge,  Sony gaming department
                                    sony pictures/ columbia pictures
                                    Bluray
                                    sony TV
                                    Cinemas,  etc
  read Sony recent press conference and get more enlightened there!

(1) (Reply)

I Have Xbox For Sale U.k Used: (35 Pieces) / This Game Drive Me Crazy / SWTOR Tends To Be Sanctioned Through Lucas Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.