Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,889 members, 7,828,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? (1546 Views)

Centino Wins May Literature Section 5K Award / The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. / Literature Section Popularity Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Divepen1(m): 8:48am On Dec 31, 2016
This year, from January to may we were in the processing era..

Many great writers left Nairaland because there was no motivation from the owner of the third richest forum in the world, Seun Osewa and from readers.

But some of us remained here, do everything to make this place lively and it later paid off as Literature section began to have its posts regularly make Front-page in the morning. And that got the writers here more viewers..

Prior to this time, I've organized
1. Writers workshop but stopped because I didn't get the effect needed.
2. We've organised Writers Award but I stopped when the essence was not gotten
3 . Princesa and I hosted Best Writer per month but it stopped due to the turn up

As we progress into this new month.. How do we become better...

My suggestion..

1. Let us have a directory of our states and then organise Workshop or get together on the same day at different states

2. We started a competition last year #nlwriters, it paid off.. I've gotten sponsor that will help monetize the next one.. Although this sponsor says he can only do that once a year... Can there be other ways of sponsoring us..

3. Can Seun Osewa do a sort of way that Nairaland writers would be able to sell their books through this place..

other ideas.. Come on, come in and drop your idea..

Bibijay123
Lleigh
Repogirl
Larrysun
Kayemjay
Shewrites
skarlett
leriebloom
Oyinprince
Mattkent

and

you

oya oya talk..

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Lleigh(f): 10:18am On Dec 31, 2016
Happy New Year in Advance Divepen1.

I am new on this platform, let the debate start.

What do the readers of the literature section think.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Divepen1(m): 10:25am On Dec 31, 2016
Lleigh:
Happy New Year in Advance Divepen1.
I am new on this platform, let the debate start.
What do the readers of the literature section think.
Wishing you the same..
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2016
Sorry o, but who won the #NLWriter's prize for dedication?
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Raintaker(m): 6:23pm On Dec 31, 2016
I'm coming with full force next year.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by repogirl(f): 11:02am On Jan 01, 2017
I'm here to learn .....
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by repogirl(f): 3:34pm On Jan 01, 2017
simonhabby:

Happy New Year
Thanks, wish you same.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by ashewoboy(m): 3:42pm On Jan 01, 2017
repogirl, sheee you nor go greet me this new year?

happy new year to you. i love you.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by LarrySun(m): 3:44pm On Jan 01, 2017
Let's bring back the glory.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by SheWrites(f): 9:15pm On Jan 01, 2017
Happy New Year everyone *hugs*

There are several writers on Naijastories.com

Many of these writers' works are printed out in hard copies and sold, alongside their ebooks.

I don't know if the payment is shared 50/50 or 70/30.

Nairaland.com can also partner with their writers and do something.

My two percent *winks*

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Divepen1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2017
SheWrites:
Happy New Year everyone *hugs*

There are several writers on Naijastories.com

Many of these writers' works are printed out in hard copies and sold, alongside their ebooks.

I don't know if the payment is shared 50/50 or 70/30.

Nairaland.com can also partner with their writers and do something.

My two percent *winks*

wow..
How do they do that?

1 Like

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by SheWrites(f): 7:14am On Jan 02, 2017
Divepen1:

wow..
How do they do that?

I think the writers whose works are exceptional are contacted. Whoever owns naijastories.com publish those writers' work in ebook and hard copy format, market and sell it, then divide the profits.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by EmperorShizzy: 9:49am On Jan 02, 2017
Seun seun seun comman talk now
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:27pm On Jan 02, 2017
Well it's nice to see that more than a few people have noticed that the literature board has gone south. I personally think over the past years (especially the last two), the quality of works posted here has seriously deteriorated and that has resulted in two outcomes: A lot of the "good" writers have left (I mean, why stay when all you see around you is mediocrity?) and a lot of new writers who want to take writing and literature seriously have looked at the quality of work here and decided not to bother. Even casual readers aren't interested anymore because you can only read what can keep your attention not what would cause your brain to want to strangle your eyes. Even worse still, the board is no longer a learning platform. When I first started posting on this board, there was a community of commited, seasoned writers who could point out my flaws and helped me improve, people for who me structure and presentation is as important as core content. Right now that community is gone and what we largely have here is a community of sub-par writers and their supporters. If we don't have enough people of quality within the family, how do we expect the rest of the board to take us seriously?

Left to me, this board should be curated and only posts of a certain level of quality should be allowed on the board. I know, that's a bit of an extremist approach to things but the Ivy League schools didn't get their reputation by allowing all and sundry. Still, everyone deserves a platform to write and share, no matter how terrible their work might be (I mean, those that don't get into the Ivy Leagues still get to attend other schools either way). We've got to figure out how to promote quality and reward improvement. I think that would be one way to raise the standard here. Giving awards wouldn't do that, after all we still hear terrible music every year in spite of the numerous music awards there are. I think the important question should be how do we raise the general standard of the literature board and improve the quality of works shared here?

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by AndyAustin(m): 8:28pm On Jan 02, 2017
Although I'm only productive in poetry section, I think you all @writers are doing a great deal writing those prose. I must say big up to you all. I don't think there's a way of stopping people from uploading whatever write up they've got. Everyone needs a room for improvement. But I think certain steps can be taken to encourage a good writer, maybe like securing front page or some kind of general award of recognition. I don't know if Oga Seun can be reached, if he can, I'll suggest there be a group of writers from this section to notify him of any piece that is front page worthy. Or if this section can be guarantee some number of front page every week, a kind of slot, I think that might help improve things to start with. In addition, I know there are seasoned writers here whose works are flying in front page, you know yourself without mentioning names wink. I think you guys can help things by reading and giving your opinion on the works of others. @divepen1, a group, perhaps whatsapp or so, would help with ur no. 1 suggestion. This my opinion though, I hope I make common sense grin. Nice thread.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Tellemall: 1:22am On Jan 03, 2017
Divepen1:
This year, from January to may we were in the processing era..

Many great writers left Nairaland because there was no motivation from the owner of the third richest forum in the world, Seun Osewa and from readers.

But some of us remained here, do everything to make this place lively and it later paid off as Literature section began to have its posts regularly make Front-page in the morning. And that got the writers here more viewers..

Prior to this time, I've organized
1. Writers workshop but stopped because I didn't get the effect needed.
2. We've organised Writers Award but I stopped when the essence was not gotten
3 . Princesa and I hosted Best Writer per month but it stopped due to the turn up

As we progress into this new month.. How do we become better...

My suggestion..

1. Let us have a directory of our states and then organise Workshop or get together on the same day at different states

2. We started a competition last year #nlwriters, it paid off.. I've gotten sponsor that will help monetize the next one.. Although this sponsor says he can only do that once a year... Can there be other ways of sponsoring us..

3. Can Seun Osewa do a sort of way that Nairaland writers would be able to sell their books through this place..

other ideas.. Come on, come in and drop your idea..

Bibijay123
Lleigh
Repogirl
Larrysun
Kayemjay
Shewrites
skarlett
leriebloom
Oyinprince
Mattkent

and

you

oya oya talk..

!

The whole get together idea is (if we can be honest without offense being taken) a very boring one.

The sponsorship one is good. However, there are other places people can advertise their books. Yes, nairaland could do more, but probably not yet. Or does this site presently host a marketplace that everybody isn't aware of for other sections? If not, the literature section writers will have to make use of available bookshops.

Also there is the issue of good writers having to compete with the deluge of bad stories from writers who deliberately post stories with "u" and "d", which serve to repel people from the literature section. Readers don't like to see those bad stories, writers get demotivated by them; when do the stories get screened?

Nothing needs to be changed about the literature section except maybe the quality. The simple fact is that 95% of the world hate to read.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Tellemall: 1:29am On Jan 03, 2017
senbonzakurakageyoshi:
Well it's nice to see that more than a few people have noticed that the literature board has gone south. I personally think over the past years (especially the last two), the quality of works posted here has seriously deteriorated and that has resulted in two outcomes: A lot of the "good" writers have left (I mean, why stay when all you see around you is mediocrity?) and a lot of new writers who want to take writing and literature seriously have looked at the quality of work here and decided not to bother. Even casual readers aren't interested anymore because you can only read what can keep your attention not what would cause your brain to want to strangle your eyes. Even worse still, the board is no longer a learning platform. When I first started posting on this board, there was a community of commited, seasoned writers who could point out my flaws and helped me improve, people for who me structure and presentation is as important as core content. Right now that community is gone and what we largely have here is a community of sub-par writers and their supporters. If we don't have enough people of quality within the family, how do we expect the rest of the board to take us seriously?

Left to me, this board should be curated and only posts of a certain level of quality should be allowed on the board. I know, that's a bit of an extremist approach to things but the Ivy League schools didn't get their reputation by allowing all and sundry. Still, everyone deserves a platform to write and share, no matter how terrible their work might be (I mean, those that don't get into the Ivy Leagues still get to attend other schools either way). We've got to figure out how to promote quality and reward improvement. I think that would be one way to raise the standard here. Giving awards wouldn't do that, after all we still hear terrible music every year in spite of the numerous music awards there are. I think the important question should be how do we raise the general standard of the literature board and improve the quality of works shared here?

I thought nobody noticed the strange and stranger stories by the preteens or Martians.

Literature is supposed to be pure, a means to speak to the world, but how can they educate and/or entertain with faulty words. "d", "DER" , "wit", etc.

Quality has been overrun by quantity. So many stories but, like new wine, most lacking in substance.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Oyinprince(m): 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2017
Coming late but I can see no conclusion was really made
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Akposb(m): 2:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
Literature cannot be great without the readers. It would be great if avid readers offer their own suggestion.

More quality stories need to be written. Divepen I will suggest a revival of the training in order to help those who are interested in the business of writing stories.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Divepen1(m): 7:43pm On Jan 10, 2017
Akposb:
Literature cannot be great without the readers. It would be great if avid readers offer their own suggestion.

More quality stories need to be written. Divepen I will suggest a revival of the training in order to help those who are interested in the business of writing stories.
What training?

1 Like

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Akposb(m): 7:55pm On Jan 10, 2017
Divepen1:
What training?
Writer's workshop.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by 1mmanuel(m): 1:38pm On Jan 11, 2017
The truth is dat Nigerians don't read, and when we do it is something that tingles our fantasy. That's why the most popular genres of literature here are romance and erotic fiction.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Nobody: 12:40am On Jan 29, 2017
the literature section would be better if great writers like larrysun can update dier stories eg LARRYSUN
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:26am On Jan 29, 2017
Everybody don go open blog. If you wanna read something great, visit any of the blogs. If you can't, make do with the 'fantastic' ones here. After all, the owner of the forum isn't complaining!

C'est LA Vie.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Divepen1(m): 12:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Everybody don go open blog. If you wanna read something great, visit any of the blogs. If you can't, make do with the 'fantastic' ones here. After all, the owner of the forum isn't complaining!

C'est LA Vie.
Help me tell them oo
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Raintaker(m): 5:43am On Feb 04, 2017
Nobody reads anything except Big Brother Nigeria on nairaland anymore.
Re: How Do We Spice Literature Section In 2017? by Danimighty7(m): 12:58pm On Feb 06, 2017
My only suggestion is to like expand the literature section and divide the many genres of lit
For example
Supernatural section
Crime section
romance
thriller etc

(1) (Reply)

Introducing Nairaland 10 Days Book Challenge / Checkout This Brain Teaser. / Free Neco Gce Questions @loadedguru Dot Tk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.