Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:46 AM

Something More Important - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Something More Important (325 Views)

What Is More Important Than Trophies - Antonio Conte / [A Must See] The 9 Things That Are More Important Than Money (no. 8 Is The Most / What Season Of The Year Is AC More Important? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Something More Important by spicelow: 10:38am On Jan 03, 2017
It was about 11:50PM at the crossover service. The Vicar permitted everyone to ask God whatever it was, that they would need from Him in the New Year, I wasn’t sure what to ask. He interrupted the prayers as usual as soon as it was 00:00 hours by announcing the arrival of the New Year. Everyone shouted, joy and laughter filled the air and they congratulated each other…but my heart sank within. I couldn’t take my mind off the memories of the year that just passed.

Some good people started the year with us but couldn’t make it through, especially a particularly beloved woman who almost made it through, but as the world shouted Happy New Year, her body laid lifeless in the mortuary. This happens to millions of people every year: they are happy to see a new year, they pray to see its end, but they never do. DEFINITELY, THERE MUST BE SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT, THAT WE MUST SEE TO AS THE YEARS ROLL BY.

In church later for Sunday service, after we sang the hymn “O God our help in ages past,” I stared intently at the candles on the altar. Right there and then, I got answers to the questions in my heart.
As soon as a candle is lit, the little flame begins to burn, it seems to be ‘living’ yet as much as it seems alive, its end fast approaches. The brighter it shines, the closer its end. The longer it is lit, the shorter it exists. The life of a man is like that of the candle.

The candle, many times burn until the wax finishes and the flame goes out. The same goes for a man, he sleeps and wakes up, he sees new years over and over, but one day, one year, his time will be up he will go out like the flame of the candle.

Sometimes it is the wind that puts off the flame of the candle and its light suddenly goes off. The troubles of life can be overwhelming for man. Countless are the lives that winds of life have blown off their flames.

Sometimes, the candle accidentally falls off its stand and its flame goes off in the process. Does life not go out of man in the same manner? Many have died by accident, like a candle falling off its stand.

Not everyone who saw 2016 are here. Not everyone who have seen the beginning of 2017 will see it end, some have gone already, and many will still do. Not everyone who live now will say Happy New Year again. This is how it happens every year.
It is scary to read about death, trust me it is scarier to write about it, yet death is the reality of life. So what is more important?

Ye are the light of the world…Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick…Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

You were created as a light to the world, yes, just like a candle is lit. While you live, let your light shine. Jesus emphasized here what He finds more important than “Happy New Year.” He says, Let men see your good works. While you live, live for good. Let your life give glory to your Father in heaven. DO NOT LIVE FOR NOTHING.

The big thing really should be about what you do while you live. What are you living for? While you stand, have you asked yourself “What do I stand for?” While you live, who am I living for? With the way I lived last year, do I deserve a new year?

This is a new year. This is a fresh opportunity. While the flame still burns. Live well.

(1) (Reply)

Genuine Land Available For Sale! Oribanwa, Lekki C Of O / Under Buhari, Naira Now Africa’s Worst Currency (see Who Said It) / Mayweather Ready To Un-retire To Fight Conor Mcgregor, Just Get The Deal Inked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.