Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,657 members, 7,823,860 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job (19118 Views)

5 Things To Consider Before Accepting A Job Offer In Lagos / JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by EduRegard: 4:09pm On Jan 03, 2017
After searching for a job for so long, it would take a certain measure of self-control to resist the urge to agree to take the job without even considering what it may cost you. Some jobs have been known to cost employees more than the job is giving back to them. This usually happens as a result of poor negotiation on the part of the employees before taking the job. Here are a few ideas on things you should consider negotiating with your employer before you accept the job.

1. Salary

This, of course, is the principal thing on any job seeker’s mind. Though it’s not every time one gets to negotiate the amount of salary he/she wants to be paid per month, but whenever you do get the chance, be sure to make a good bargain. There are situations where employees at the same level within the same company have been known to collect different salaries owing to different bargaining power.

2. Transportation

If this isn’t already listed amongst the staff welfare benefits, you may decide to ask. Transportation chops up a lot of one’s income especially if you have to take public transport, so you might want to take the distance from your house to the work-place into account while negotiating.

3. More vacation time / Leave

Vacations are usually great times to take a break from all that stress at work and get a clear head. Most employer’s are you usually more willing to extend vacation time than to have employees troubling them for a raise. So you might want to negotiate that with your employer before accepting the job.

4. Flexible work hours

You might consider asking your employer for more flexible hours, depending on the kind of work you do. For example, if you only worked with computers as a customer care agent, you may request for one day in a week where you’d be allowed to work from home.

5. Sponsoring further education

You can always ask that your further education be sponsored by your company, especially if you have signed a long term contract to continue to work for that company or have shown intents that you won’t be leaving anytime soon

In conclusion, nothing brings progress than having to work under the most suitable conditions, therefore, endeavor to consider the five points above and others before saying Yes to any job invitation.

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com.ng/5-things-negotiate-accepting-job/

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by JamieRocks(m): 4:20pm On Jan 03, 2017
In this country that employee has no law to back labor rights and where every unemployed is searching for any kind of jobs?

15 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by naijablood: 7:13am On Jan 04, 2017
Your partner seems NOT to have the
right size of PEN*S down there? and its actually killing your love life ?!! ..

HERE ARE SOME 5 SATISFYING SEX POSITIONS YOU SHOULD TRY TO HELP THE SITUATION

http://www.exposeline.com/2017/01/04/5-satisfying-sex-positions-try-partner-micropenis/

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Daslim180(m): 7:14am On Jan 04, 2017
Na true talk but that is when the job is not offered to you in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by bikerboy1(m): 7:14am On Jan 04, 2017
All these ones for Nigerian Job Market where you are begging to get the job. cool

Your employer might reconsider in the process of all these demands.
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:14am On Jan 04, 2017
:DLeave and the working hour is the most important tin. Wen considering job employment.
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Histrings08(m): 7:14am On Jan 04, 2017
OK bro... Buh don't try that wif DEm Lebanese
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by PIPPROF(m): 7:15am On Jan 04, 2017
lol

like some peeps even have an option grin grin grin

Nigerias banking industry tramples your list grin grin this list is for Americans

dudes work till 1am and earn 60k and wake up 4am following day to rush to work

omo if you grad u no see work, go hustle

certificate era passed in the 80s, then being a graduate you were sure of getting a good life after school undecided

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by nmreports: 7:17am On Jan 04, 2017
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by femi4: 7:17am On Jan 04, 2017
Official car
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by YeyeGirl(f): 7:18am On Jan 04, 2017
Jus imagine... na for America u fit dey negotiate lyk kidnapper wey dey demand for ransom.... Here in naija,na take am as u see am or liv.... Jes few jobs dey accept all dz 1s!!!!! undecided

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 04, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by rickyrex(m): 7:21am On Jan 04, 2017
Lol come try am for eko supreme or natural prime wey de agbara... Na chemical dem go take pursue u.
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by menxer: 7:23am On Jan 04, 2017
Where you even see the job to start bargaining salary?

For Naija, few jobs offer the opportunity to bargain salary. It's what the employer gives you take.

You sure you want the job?
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 04, 2017
We wey dey school sef no wan comot cos of all these no job issue...May God help us in this country, we've missed the road a long time ago.

I doubt if there's any job in Nigeria where one can bargain all what op typed.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Benjom(m): 7:23am On Jan 04, 2017
Environment matters y'know
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Emjay1310(m): 7:30am On Jan 04, 2017
I just love this topic. If u know ur worth, u won't fall out of range in salary negotiation. Transportation and lunch money too needs serious asking.
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Inkredible(m): 7:38am On Jan 04, 2017
Hmm..

But sha

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by ItzHoludex(m): 7:44am On Jan 04, 2017
true
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by mayorchelsea(m): 7:46am On Jan 04, 2017
We know you are trying to help us but please, articles that are realistic and more closely related to the Nigerian environment is better.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 04, 2017
Hmmm... For this naija na hin you wan ask for one day to work from the house? When you never sure for the job? :-/

Well, I addressed important issues like this in my recent article. How to avoid failure in 2017: http://talkeverytime..co.id/2017/01/how-to-avoid-failures-in-2017.html
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by ukandi1(m): 8:10am On Jan 04, 2017
U dovthese things if u have not experienced unemployment. I.e. if u have not been hungry.
These things don't apply in Africa, let alone Nigeria. They would tell u to go home and wait to hear from them. U would wait and grow old.
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by toluwalopsy(f): 8:17am On Jan 04, 2017
Infact is it not when you scale through the screening process and you're duly called upon that you get to negotiate issues like this. Nigeria is just another planet on earth where you need people to meet people who has the job
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Tajbol4splend(m): 8:35am On Jan 04, 2017
That's the normal and the legal thing but you would not even want to make those demands in a situation where there are thousands of people craving jobs for anything
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Jokerman(m): 8:56am On Jan 04, 2017
All these in Nigeria... haha haha
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by jazinogold(m): 9:18am On Jan 04, 2017
TRY THIS IN NIGERIA..THEN YOU DON LOSE THE JOB cheesy cheesy
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by ItsawrapOutfit: 9:26am On Jan 04, 2017
Valuable information
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by KevMitnick: 9:42am On Jan 04, 2017
Emjay1310:
I just love this topic. If u know ur worth, u won't fall out of range in salary negotiation. Transportation and lunch money too needs serious asking.
Very correct.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by sbabimbola(f): 9:44am On Jan 04, 2017
Salary negotiation is important, some of my colleagues are getting between 5-10k lesser than mine because they just took what the boss told them she'd pay. Now that I have access to their pay slip I feel sorry because we put in same work hours, same qualification, they spend more on t-fare and still get lesser pay.

Key thing is never look, sound or behave desperate during an interview.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by ahmg001(m): 10:27am On Jan 04, 2017
sbabimbola:
Salary negotiation is important, some of my colleagues are getting between 5-10k lesser than mine because they just took what the boss told them she'd pay. Now that I have access to their pay slip I feel sorry because we put in same work hours, same qualification, they spend more on t-fare and still get lesser pay.

Key thing is never look, sound or behave desperate during an interview.
.I want to assume dt while u were negotiating, it was from d position of strength. Most pipu dnt get to negotiate from d position of strength, dts y u collect anytyn bn offered.position of strength cud be,u av a gud job at hand bf and trying to see if u Can get sumfn beta.
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by Tweetbright(m): 10:39am On Jan 04, 2017
This actually works in Nigeria... it all falls to the mentality of the Boss/employer
Re: 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job by manikspears: 10:40am On Jan 04, 2017
YeyeGirl:
Jus imagine... na for America u fit dey negotiate lyk kidnapper wey dey demand for ransom.... Here in naija,na take am as u see am or liv.... Jes few jobs dey accept all dz 1s!!!!! undecided
gospel truth sis

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Appeal To Dragnet And Co / Workforce Academy Sending Messages For Aptitude Tests / How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.