Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Perfect Name For New Baby - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Perfect Name For New Baby (591 Views)

81 Years Old Alafin Of Oyo Welcomes New Baby From His Youngest Wife / Screening For New Olowo Begins / Screening For New Olowo Throne Begins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Perfect Name For New Baby by OSTERREICH: 9:36am On Jan 05, 2017
[b]
I know this might sound rhetoric or pretty straightforward to most of you but never the less I do want to sample ppeopls opinion.
So we expecting our daughter very soon and weve boyh agreed on a name …
We wanted something different and got inspired
AZARIA AFENITOLUWAKOSI

AFENITOLUWAKOSI means ‘ No one loves you like the Lord ‘

YES afenitoluwakosi is pretty long and we love it because of the meaning it bears to us and our convictions on the name and by the way officially on hrr documents she would just be
AZARIA AFENI not the full AFENITOLUWAKOSI…
This we already call heri AFE for short

I grew up in a German speaking country and still have family there and even though I don’t intend to return actively there with my family my daughter will learn German very early as I speak this as well.
However the problem is that in German AFE means monkey
And well some ppl think it rhymes with fanny or feni which means butt in native English
In as much as I have turned a deaf ear to it, deep down it does bug me especially cause i speak the language and my wife doesnt and can remember hoe it was growing up bring teased about an african name talkless of now ones that translates directly to monkey…as we all know kids in school can be terrible and even if you raise your kid to hold her head high and maybe call her another short form and not afe but as long as its there it will still find its way out… why not avoid the whole embarrassment for the kid in the first place.
So all in all I’ve said a lot what I really wanna know

1.honest thoughts on the name itself do you like it? (Its practically a ‘new’ Yoruba name)
2.Would you change it ..?
3.General thoughts on having new native names instead of recycling old ones.[/b]
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Share (Un-
Re: Perfect Name For New Baby by bigfrancis21: 4:59pm On Jan 05, 2017
OSTERREICH:
[b]
I know this might sound rhetoric or pretty straightforward to most of you but never the less I do want to sample ppeopls opinion.
So we expecting our daughter very soon and weve boyh agreed on a name …
We wanted something different and got inspired
AZARIA AFENITOLUWAKOSI

AFENITOLUWAKOSI means ‘ No one loves you like the Lord ‘

YES afenitoluwakosi is pretty long and we love it because of the meaning it bears to us and our convictions on the name and by the way officially on hrr documents she would just be
AZARIA AFENI not the full AFENITOLUWAKOSI…
This we already call heri AFE for short

I grew up in a German speaking country and still have family there and even though I don’t intend to return actively there with my family my daughter will learn German very early as I speak this as well.
However the problem is that in German AFE means monkey
And well some ppl think it rhymes with fanny or feni which means butt in native English
In as much as I have turned a deaf ear to it, deep down it does bug me especially cause i speak the language and my wife doesnt and can remember hoe it was growing up bring teased about an african name talkless of now ones that translates directly to monkey…as we all know kids in school can be terrible and even if you raise your kid to hold her head high and maybe call her another short form and not afe but as long as its there it will still find its way out… why not avoid the whole embarrassment for the kid in the first place.
So all in all I’ve said a lot what I really wanna know

1.honest thoughts on the name itself do you like it? (Its practically a ‘new’ Yoruba name)
2.Would you change it ..?
3.General thoughts on having new native names instead of recycling old ones.[/b]
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Share (Un-

This iss really a strong situation for you. The decision you make now will determine or affect that girl's life for the rest of her life. Given the fact that she will be growing up permanently in a German-speaking country and the wrongful perception of the name in German, why not come up with another name? To avoid the embarrassment the girl would have to suffer all her life?

I understand you want to go creative with a name. In Igbo recent names have been created such as Kaosisochukwu (as it pleases God), Kamsiyochukwu (as I've pled unto God), etc. Maybe you could translate any of these into Yoruba and give her instead?

The afeni name may not go down well with her, except you expect she wouldn't be growing up there later on.

1 Like

Re: Perfect Name For New Baby by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2017
OSTERREICH:
I live in Germany and speak german fluently. I understand you live in Austria.

It is good to be creative with names, but please don't do so at the expense of the child. If she is to live and grow there some day, I find it unnecessary to place an additional burden on her.

God already knows your gratitude to him. I don't think any reasonable god would want a growing kid to suffer rejection, because the parents want to express their religious convictions.

Again, if she is to grow and live in nigeria forever, it is fine. But if you intend her to spend some time in Austria or Germany, in my opinion you guys should please avoid.

Greetings.

(1) (Reply)

So Happy, I Just Made Over 1 Bitcoin In Few Da Ys, Learn Now.. / Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / Celebrating Birthday - A Necesity Or Waste?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.