Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,346 members, 7,819,232 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Jquery Or Javascript - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Jquery Or Javascript (1564 Views)

Want To Learn Python Or Javascript? / Looking For a Python/django Or Javascript Remote Internship Opportunity / How Do I Get A User Serial Number With Jquery Or Javascript?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jquery Or Javascript by peterincredible: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2017
hi my fellow narialanders i have been writing code in c++ for quite some time so i, decided to learn web designing a bit so i started with html and css which, been the fact that i have been coding in other language it was very easy for me to learn and adapt to it so right now i think i am pretty comfortable with html and css presently am a bit confused because i dont know what next to learn between javascript and jquery and the true fact about it is that i really dont like javascript, before i even learnt html and css i tried to learn it for quite some days although i understands almost everything given my programming background but i just dont like the language right now i am faced with jquery and javascript and i was thinking of going straight to learn jquery pls i hope i am not making the wrong decision and if any body pass through that line when(i mean html, css and jquery before javascript) learning web designing should pls through light on it so i can know how to make the right decision and proceed with my learning thanks.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by kudaisi(m): 12:55pm On Jan 05, 2017
peterincredible:
hi my fellow narialanders i have been writing code in c++ for quite some time so i, decided to learn web designing a bit so i started with html and css which, been the fact that i have been coding in other language it was very easy for me to learn and adapt to it so right now i think i am pretty comfortable with html and css presently am a bit confused because i dont know what next to learn between javascript and jquery and the true fact about it is that i really dont like javascript, before i even learnt html and css i tried to learn it for quite some days although i understands almost everything given my programming background but i just dont like the language right now i am faced with jquery and javascript and i was thinking of going straight to learn jquery pls i hope i am not making the wrong decision and if any body pass through that line when(i mean html, css and jquery before javascript) learning web designing should pls through light on it so i can know how to make the right decision and proceed with my learning thanks.

Jquery is a Javascript library meaning it was developed with javascript. Hence your still need to understand Javascript to use jquery effectively.For C++ developer it will be like "Should I learn OpenCV (which is a C/C++ library) or C++"

3 Likes

Re: Jquery Or Javascript by Dreadlord: 12:56pm On Jan 05, 2017
JavaScript is a programming language.
Jquery is a JavaScript Framework, I think it's pretty obvious which one you should learn first.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by onedayatime(m): 3:00pm On Jan 05, 2017
I think being a c++ programmer, you should grab JavaScript easily within 5 days because you are familiar with c++.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 3:20pm On Jan 05, 2017
Even When U Re Using Jquery, You'll Still Be Using Javascript Within It To Make Things Work

The Few Advantage Of Jquery Is Its Selector '$'
Instead Of Javascript document.Blah Blah Blah
And The Way It Make Doing Somethings(like Ajax) - Which Help In Shortening Your Code Length - Easy

Still Yet Js Is The Koko
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by peterincredible: 4:17pm On Jan 05, 2017
onedayatime:
I think being a c++ programmer, you should grab JavaScript easily within 5 days because you are familiar with c++.
yes learning it is not the problem i have a good javascript pdf on my laptop i read some chapters and i understood most of the code at first glance but i thinks 2 me javascript is just somehow borin i have read about how some people learnt jquery bcause it quick to learn and get result and came back 2 learn javascript later so that why am just asking if is a nice plan if i learn jquery first anyway thanks for ure response

1 Like

Re: Jquery Or Javascript by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 05, 2017
jquery first>> and u wont regret it
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by onedayatime(m): 7:49pm On Jan 05, 2017
peterincredible:
yes learning it is not the problem i have a good javascript pdf on my laptop i read some chapters and i understood most of the code at first glance but i thinks 2 me javascript is just somehow borin i have read about how some people learnt jquery bcause it quick to learn and get result and came back 2 learn javascript later so that why am just asking if is a nice plan if i learn jquery first anyway thanks for ure response

javascript should come first. Best advice
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by FincoApps(m): 9:08pm On Jan 05, 2017
OP, you should obviously learn Javascript first. Like kudaisi said... Can you learn OpenCV without the knowledge of C++ ?

It won't make sense
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 05, 2017
Awesome Thread.Quite fascinating Topic.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 05, 2017
peterincredible:
I hope this helps.
OP, JavaScript happens to be a very broad language,if you really want to learn JavaScript in depth,i doubt you'd have the time for jquery depending on its application. maybe Front-end or back-end.

In this case, I assume its front-end. To get started with jQuery On the front-end,you just need to take a beginner's approach to JavaScript.
Just the basics will do, like loops,if and else statements,variables arrays and functions then take a deep dive into jquery.
But when you want to back end programming using node js,express js,Angular js etc. You need to learn JavaScript from the foundational principles to very complex topics.

Majority of developers use jQuery on the front-end instead of JavaScript. but on the back-end,it's pure js
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by worisj(m): 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2017
Learn Jquery First At Your Own Detriment!! You'll Letter Regret It Cause You Wont Know How To Do Sh*t In Javascript When You Need It, You'll Be So Used To $(div) .onclick() so much that you wont know how to pull an event in js. And Even If You Get Started Don't Even Look Into Any Frame Work Or Library, Not Even Angular, Meteor, Express, React Etc Just Make Sure You Know Vanilla Js And Know It Well. Well I'm Speaking From Experience
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by abdulwahabO: 11:31pm On Jan 05, 2017
Your background gives you a big advantage, and I understand you not liking JS I feel the same way coming from Java, JS will feel messy to someone used to the strict orderliness of C++, Java, C#.

That said, I think you should ignore Jquery, the future of web development is Single Page Applications, built with libraries like React and frameworks like angular, server-side rendering is gradually dying.

IMHO you should quickly study a good JS introductory material and then start learning ReactJS, angular 2 is still too young (first stable release was in September last year) especially for someone new to web development, angular 1 will gradually be replaced by 2 anyway.

No harm in starting with Jquery though, to get your hands dirty. But if I were in ur shoes I wouldn't, I would start with JS.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by webdeveloperqx: 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2017
kudaisi:

Jquery is a Javascript library meaning it was developed with javascript. Hence your still need to understand Javascript to use jquery effectively.For C++ developer it will be like "Should I learn OpenCV (which is a C/C++ library) or C++"

TAKE THAT FROM ME TOO.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by imustsaymymindo: 8:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
This is the progression most web developers learn languages:

HTML-CSS/BOOTSTRAP-PHP-SQL-JAVASCRIPT-JQUERY-AJAX

Javascript before JQUERY is recommended.
Re: Jquery Or Javascript by jpmoriarti(m): 8:32am On Jan 08, 2017
I didn't like JS too but I recognise its importance.

(1) (Reply)

React Native Will Become The Best Solution For Mobile App Development / Learn Cool New Trending Programing Language Called FLUTTER / Want To Automate Your Sme Data Sharing Contact Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.