Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family (1569 Views)

Divorce Lawyers In D House, Pls I Need Some Advice / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Family! Thank You For Helping Me Pay My School Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by vajinda: 3:18am On Dec 05, 2005
smiley
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by damygurl(f): 6:19am On Dec 05, 2005
dats so sweet! u r a good person!! keep it up!! well i don really know wat to tell ya but if u know somebody who is nigerian so dat d kids can relate to d person and pick up a few nigerian words. a trip to nigeria sounds ok too if u can afford it!!!
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by kenflavor(m): 8:43am On Dec 05, 2005
Hi vajinda, I really appreciate the fact that you have decided to help your African brother and sister. Meanwhile, there is a big problem here, because Okeke is an Igbo name (South East Nigeria) and Ayo and Odun are both yoruba names from South West Nigeria. I will advice you to sit your sister and brother down and ask them some few questions, I believe if most of these questions are answered, we will definitely have a head way.
Ask them these few questions.
(1) What are their father's full names?
(2) Where in particular in Nigeria, did their father hail from?
(3) Has their father or mum ever made mention of any part of Nigeria during conversation?
(4) Do they have any of their fathers pictures?
(5) What of their mother, is she still alive. If yes, she definitely needs to answer some few questions.

I believe if they could answer these few questions, we could have a head way.
Alternatively, I will also suggest that if you can afford their flight tickets to Nigeria, I am very sure if they come to Nigeria with their fathers picture(s), they will definitely find their root. I had seen couple of foreigners who came to Nigeria to seek for their lost father's family & homes and they were eventually lucky to get to their roots, courtesy NTA Newsline (a special programme on Nigerian Television Authority). I wish you a best of luck in your search.
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by vajinda: 7:42pm On Dec 05, 2005
Hello again
Thank you damy and kenflavor for your encouragement and advice. I appreciate the clarification over the regional and tribal differences in their names. Their mother is alive, and I should probably ask her as well for any details. So is it safe to assume that their father is Igbo if his name is Okeke?

Thanks so much again, I feel lucky to have found this online community.
Vajinda
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by Hotstepper(f): 4:03pm On Dec 14, 2005
HEY, IF THEIR FATHER'S LASTNAME IS OKEKE, THEN HE IS IGBO(SOUTH EAST NIGERIA) BUT THE CHILDREN ARE ANSWERING YORUBA NAMES SO I CAN'T FIGURE OUT THE CONNECTION WELL. ASK THEM VERY WELL OR ASK THEIR MOTHER. GO ARE DOING A GOOD JOB THOUGH..PEACE
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by Sesan2: 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2005
Well done, Vajinda, for the work you are doing. As the other contributors have said, I think we need more information to be able to assist. Okeke (if that is the right spelling) is definitely Igbo. Although it is not unknown in Nigeria for people from one ethnic group to give their children names from another ethnic group, it is still necessary to clarify the situation here.

Just like Zimbabwe, Nigeria (and the Yorubas) has a very rich culture and your brother and sister will be proud to know their cultural heritage.

Regarding the meaning of the children's names. The names you have given are all shortened forms of several possible names. You are right, Ayo means joy; but the full name could be Ayodeji (my joy is doubled) or Ayodele (Joy has got home) etc. Bola is also a shortened form of several names: e.g Adebola (one who arrived to meet wealth), Bolaji (One who wakes up with wealth), Omobola (child born into wealth - often for girls) etc. Odun means 'year' or big landmark or occasion. So, Odun may have been born during a major occasion (e.g Christmas or New year). The interpretations given are literal and these names tend to lose some of their more profound meanings when you try to interprete them into english.

If you know the full names, we can give you the full meanings. Several books of Yoruba names and their meanings exist and there are web sites giving meanings of Yoruba names (although some that I have seen are not very accurate). If you do a search of 'yoruba names' you are likely to see some of them.

Have a nice day and give my regards to your brother and sister.
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by stesim30: 5:17am On May 24, 2009
Maybe the father is and Igbo marying a yoruba woman. but is alright and fair and thanks to you my sister.I myself is an igbo and the meaning of "okeke" is a male child born on "eke" day which is the third day in igbo calendar(1-Afor, 2-nkwo, 3-eke and 4-orie) . and that is a person assume to be wealthy and graceful and aboundantly blessed.thanks for your help to our bros and sister.
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by tpiah: 10:24pm On May 24, 2009
Father's name: Okeke

Children's names: Ayo and Odun.

My guess?

Father is half Igbo half Yoruba or Igbo by blood Yoruba by birth. Or born in the east and raised/lived in the west.
Re: Looking for some advice for helping my Yoruba family by sosisi(f): 3:59am On May 25, 2009
Most likely the father is Igbo and mom is Yoruba.
It's usually not common for Igbo men married to Yoruba women to give the kids Yoruba first names but it could be that they were never really really married (if you know what I mean) or the mom started calling them by their middle names after the divorce as some divorced women married to men of other ethnicities do, out of spite.

meaning of Okeke

First some background.
There are 4 market days in Igbo culture and they are Eke,Orie (or Oye),Afor and Nkwo.
similar to days of the week.
and people are often named after the market days.
basically Okeke means a young man named after an eke day.
we also have Okonkwo,Okafor,Okorie or Okoye

(1) (Reply)

Whats Your Ideal Marriage Ceremony Or Wedding Day? / Is It Possible For Parents To Love All Their Children Equally? / Jobless Husband.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.