Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Ignorance Is Trending Among Nigerian Youths - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ignorance Is Trending Among Nigerian Youths (570 Views)

The Letter From Senior Staff Of ABU, Zaria That Is Trending Online / Drug Abuse Among Nigerian Youths: Causes, Cases And Consequences / Medicine Mentality Among Nigerian Undergraduates And Education System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ignorance Is Trending Among Nigerian Youths by justhenry(m): 5:50am On Jan 07, 2017
One of my professors once lamented that my generation, in his words, glorify ignorance. His pain came from his seeing fliers on which "music" was spelled "muzik" and "night" was spelled "nite". He insisted that such must not be tolerated even if it was trendy- that it is a sign that my generation would not value the virtues of thoroughness, studiousness, order and precision. And he went on and on.
I did not argue with him though I wanted to. I really felt he was blowing the whole thing out of proportion.
But today I have observed- I don't know if you have as well- that many Nigerian graduates and undergrads do not know how to speak, let alone write, correct English. Just listen to them ask questions at conferences. Read their posts and comments on Facebook. It is not uncommon to hear or read a supposed educated youth mix up tenses, abuse subject and predicate, misspell words, or (the big one) confuse homonyms. In fact, finding one who can speak and write well these days brings the same delight as stumbling upon corned beef in your mother's salad.
Could there be a connection between this ugly development and our acceptance of slang in our circles?
Then again, you'd hear some supposed Pan-Africanists argue along this line: Does it matter if we speak English correctly? After all it's not our first language? English Language mastery is not the metric for literacy. We are Africans and need to break out of this slave mentality! Who English epp?
Yet I notice that these same people usually have the most impressive command our the so-called colonial language.
So I ask, what exactly is our problem? Should we blame the schools that churn out these graduates, or do we blame our glorification of ignorance?
Re: Ignorance Is Trending Among Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 5:59am On Jan 07, 2017
grin grin grin grin

I know a British and an Australian who has the worst spellings ever...but who cares right?
Re: Ignorance Is Trending Among Nigerian Youths by justhenry(m): 7:44am On Jan 07, 2017
unclezuma:
grin grin grin grin

I know a British and an Australian who has the worst spellings ever...but who cares right?
That British or Australian may not be educated like our own folks here... you only met an uneducated British/Australian
Re: Ignorance Is Trending Among Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 07, 2017
justhenry:
That British or Australian may not be educated like our own folks here... you only met an uneducated British/Australian

He's educated up to a Masters bro

(1) (Reply)

RSUST Matriculation Notice To Newly Admitted Students / Opening For Writers With Exceptional Writing Skills / Diamond Bank Finally Reverses Outrageous "Stamp Duty"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.