Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

How Pure Is 'Pure Water' - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Pure Is 'Pure Water' (1419 Views)

See Why Sachet (pure) Water Is Not Safe For Drinking (pictures) / Coconut Oil Is Pure Poison! Harvard Professor Reveals / Coconut Oil Is ‘pure Poison’, Harvard Professor Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by saydfact(m): 9:32am On Jan 07, 2017
The Pure water business in Nigeria is a very profitable business which requires good amount of money before one can invest in it; for those wishing to invest in this business, we can assure them of good profit however our write-up isn't about the business in it but what makes up 'pure water' and how pure can we say it is.

* What is 'Pure Water'? - This is the popular street name for SACHET WATER or simply said to be packaged water in polythene sachets of about 50-60cl.

* Importance of quality drinking Water? - Water, which is one of the most abundant commodities on earth, occupies about 70% of the it’s surface yet a greater percentage (%) of earth’s population live without safe drinking water or access to it; this is more in developing (third world) countries.

Can we overemphasized the importance of quality drinking water or the fact that, it is a matter of great concern to families and communities without government run and well treated public water system.

According to WHO (2004), nearly 90% of diarrhea cases resulting in deaths have been attributed to unsafe water and in 2006, WHO reported that about 1.1 billion persons lack access to quality drinking water.

* Is Pure Water safe? - Although the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is undertaking a nationwide laboratory test of various brands of sachet water, can we conclude that only the safe ones make it to the streets around Nigeria?

* Can we trust Pure Water? - Public water supply (for drinking) is really not reliable hence encouraging the sale of these all important drinking water in polythene sachets, which are easily available and affordable but there is serious concern about the purity of water in sachets.

A visit to the environment and the conditions where majority of these polythene sachets and sachet water are produced are questionable because a lot of people engaged in its production do not follow safety standards set by WHO in 2006 and the Federal Environmental Protection Agency, FEPA in 1999.

Remember the popular quote that quality water is odorless, colorless and tasteless and also free from chemical and microbial and contaminants? can we truly say that pure water has these qualities? or maybe consumers are more concerned with the taste and appearance than with the invisible and potentially harmful micro-organisms or contaminants.

On few occasions in recent past, researches were carried out across the nation to determine 'How Pure is Pure Water, and majority of the results point towards same conclusion: Our so called ‘pure water’ is not completely safe for drinking. There has always been evidence of chemical contaminants and microbial presence.

* Any regulatory body? - Yes! NAFDAC but The National Agency for Food Administration and Control (NAFDAC) itself has been criticized for failing to adequately control the activities of this industry. There are claims that some producers of sachet water are known to submit fake samples so they can pass NAFDAC tests and gain its registration number; we also cannot rule out contamination after the pure water leaves its production sites via activities of distributors, vendors and hawkers.

* Any way forward? - Regulatory bodies and its activities should promote standard, safe and core hygiene values likes washing of hands, general cleanliness, good storage environment & proper vending / selling and a good handling culture. These and more should produce a desired improvements.

The focus has to shift from just the monitoring of the end-product as this does not always give a complete picture in terms of microbiological risk assessment. The distribution methods and channels need also come under the radar. There is also need for public sensitization and monitoring/regulating of sachet water vendors.

NAFDAC's activities should be intensified to ensure compliance with standards and although some have proposed total ban of sachet water, they have to consider the government inability's to provide quality public drinking water and the huge economic benefits including the amount of job it has created.

What are your views? share.

culled from www.palmchatnow.com

Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by 77al: 9:37am On Jan 07, 2017
I'm beginning to think a little about this thingy... Who originated the name "pure water" how did it even come about?
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by cassidy1996(m): 9:56am On Jan 07, 2017
Sometimes it is, sometimes its not
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by chiefolododo(m): 10:01am On Jan 07, 2017
Sachet water
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by Teewhy2: 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2017
Most of this so called pure water is not pure but ordinary sachet water.
I remember November 2016, I changed where I do buy my bags of pure water due to distance to buy from one company that do disturb me to patronize them every time they come to my area. Can you imagine out of the 11 bags of the so called pure water with NAFDAC registration more than half of it has visible green particles in it. I guess their tank wad dirty. I now wonder if actually NAFDAC really gave them the number or after those numbers have been given if they go back to check the standard of those products after sone time.
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by saydfact(m): 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2017
Cc: lalasticlala mynd44
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2017
The word "pure" is not true. Most of the so called pure water are not pure. I know of pure water factories that are sited in unhygenic conditions and their products are far from being standard.
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 09, 2017
(0) ( Reply ) ( Follow)
How To Naturally Detox With Onions by
ivannanature : 8:53pm On Jan 07
Hello my darlings!!! So great to be back with a natural detoxifying tip! I mean who doesn't want to feel lighter or get those bacteria out of the body? Well I do! So I was doing a bit of a search and I found this lovely video that I felt will be very handy for everyone to use follow daily. Its what I call the onion detoxifying magic! Yes magic I say...you ask why? Its simply magical for you to place a slice of organic onion under your feet while you sleep and it just does the work for you. You wake up and its a different feeling entirely...but not in a bad way. In this video, you get to see how you could totally substitute detoxifying products with a natural one that works just fine without you spending so much. Maybe you are asking but why detox? I recommend detox for everyone, as long as you eat and consume and walk around planet earth, you definitely need to detoxify yourself......! [url][/url] http:///2iMpaE0
( Quote) ( Re
Re: How Pure Is 'Pure Water' by saydfact(m): 7:13pm On Jan 20, 2017
Can Nigerian do without pure water?

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Egg Benefits For Hair And Effective Egg Hair Mask ! / We've Treated Malaria, And Used Antibiotics But She Still Feels Feverish.. Help / Why Is Coronavirus Recovery Rate In Nigeria Slower Than In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.