Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Taming Time For New Freelance Writers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Taming Time For New Freelance Writers (626 Views)

Freelance Writers: Publish Your Writing In A Blog / Hiring Freelance Writers For 4 Month Gig / Freelance Writers Required (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taming Time For New Freelance Writers by Fizzymidasquil: 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2017
Taming Time for New Freelance Writers

Energized from your morning work out and sumptuous breakfast, you sit at your computer to begin your tasks for the day. Before beginning your tasks, you decide to check your mails first, while on the mails, you decide to visit a link found in one, within a minute, you already have twenty tabs open.

After what you think is an hour, you decide to begin your tasks proper, you then take a casual look at the clock, imagine your shock! Lo and behold it's noon already! Where did the time go? As a freelance writer most especially a new freelance writer, I'm sure, like me, you've asked yourself this question a zillion times.

About ten days ago I launched my freelance writing business blog. Less than 24 hours later, I got my first client. And before I knew it, I had lost control over my time. A million and one things were competing for my undivided attention. I knew I had to tame this beast of time before it destroys my freelance writing business.

Managing the never enough time has always been a major concern for freelance writers, and this is even more challenging for new freelance writers. You are your own employer and employee. You are the only head and member of all departments in your business. You alone market, network, write, source for new clients, etc. With all these duties, its no surprise how you seem not to have time all the time.

I'll be posting some tips on how I began to successfully manage my time and became more productive.
So follow me and watch this thread smiley wink

1 Like

Re: Taming Time For New Freelance Writers by feminineA: 10:03pm On Jan 09, 2017
Following. What's the name of your blog?
Re: Taming Time For New Freelance Writers by Fizzymidasquil: 6:57am On Jan 10, 2017
feminineA:
Following. What's the name of your blog?

Thanks for following.
Check out my blog here:
http://www.fizzymidasquill..com

Cheers! kiss smiley
Re: Taming Time For New Freelance Writers by Fizzymidasquil: 7:04am On Jan 10, 2017
Just like I promised, here are the tips. They are ten in number, these are the first four. These tips have worked for me, so I'm confident they will for you too.

1. Stay True To Your Niche

The Holy Book says, a man who will not work, let him not eat, this means for the freelance writer, no gigs, no pay. As a new writer, the temptation to accept gigs from every tom, dick and harry, is very strong, I know because I've faced it too. But the consequences are very destructive. So reject those gigs that you know are outside your niche and will only consume your time.

2. Focus

Now you are taking only gigs in your niche, yet you are still overwhelmed? That's because you are not being focused. You should accept only gigs that you are certain of meeting the deadline and you are comfortable with the pay. Do not worry if the only gigs that meet these criteria are 'few', you can always take on more when you expand. Always keep your focus on your to-do list. Once an item has been ticked off, take a short break and move on to the next. Resist distractions.

3.Start With the Most Difficult Tasks

I've always heard this Taming Time Tip since my teenage days, and it has always worked for me. I guess the rationale behind this is that when you finish a difficult task, your confidence becomes boosted making the next task much more easier, and of course done faster.

4. Start working on a Project ASAP!

Procrastination only feeds the unruly beast of time. Taming Time will require you to begin a new task as soon as possible. NEVER wait till the day before deadline or on the day it is due for submission.

stay tuned for more tips!

1 Like

Re: Taming Time For New Freelance Writers by Copycracker(m): 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2017
Thanks for this post.... People, this is true Yarns right here.

Although in my opinion, they seem a bit advanced for someone who is a total newbie to writing and hasn't found their niche yet.

But I get where you're coming from. I totally agree with point 2. I also feel even within your niche, you should have certain criteria that must be met before you take on a gig.

Like for example, I have a rule with new clients that I either get paid daily or the day after the gig is completed. Now, I have broken this rule a few times because they promised a lot of money and I was dreaming about the money till I completed the gig and the client went ghostmode on me (till today).

I believe as a freelance writer (or any other freelancer), the most important part of this whole shebang is "free". If you're not free, then you're just an employee that works from long distance.

You should have certain rules for yourself and the kind of gigs you take on. You don't have to do every job. Every client is not meant to be your client. Decide what kind of jobs you want to take, and what criteria you need to be fulfilled before you accept a job and be willing to let the chips fall where they may.

Tips 3 and 4 are the definite truth! I can't count how many times I have procrastinated and it has come back to bite me in the a$$. Thankfully, I have cut down on that now.

Fizzymidasquil:
Just like I promised, here are the tips. They are ten in number, these are the first four. These tips have worked for me, so I'm confident they will for you too.

1. Stay True To Your Niche

The Holy Book says, a man who will not work, let him not eat, this means for the freelance writer, no gigs, no pay. As a new writer, the temptation to accept gigs from every tom, dick and harry, is very strong, I know because I've faced it too. But the consequences are very destructive. So reject those gigs that you know are outside your niche and will only consume your time.

2. Focus

Now you are taking only gigs in your niche, yet you are still overwhelmed? That's because you are not being focused. You should accept only gigs that you are certain of meeting the deadline and you are comfortable with the pay. Do not worry if the only gigs that meet these criteria are 'few', you can always take on more when you expand. Always keep your focus on your to-do list. Once an item has been ticked off, take a short break and move on to the next. Resist distractions.

3.Start With the Most Difficult Tasks

I've always heard this Taming Time Tip since my teenage days, and it has always worked for me. I guess the rationale behind this is that when you finish a difficult task, your confidence becomes boosted making the next task much more easier, and of course done faster.

4. Start working on a Project ASAP!

Procrastination only feeds the unruly beast of time. Taming Time will require you to begin a new task as soon as possible. NEVER wait till the day before deadline or on the day it is due for submission.

stay tuned for more tips!

1 Like

Re: Taming Time For New Freelance Writers by Fizzymidasquil: 6:38am On Jan 11, 2017
Thanks so much for your comment copycracker smiley

Yes, number 2 (focus) was so difficult for me initially.
Freelancers should learn to toughen their skins and say NO to terrible demands and pay. Most of the time these terrible demand and pay are the gigs that suck up all the time.

Copycracker:
Thanks for this post.... People, this is true Yarns right here.

Although in my opinion, they seem a bit advanced for someone who is a total newbie to writing and hasn't found their niche yet.

But I get where you're coming from. I totally agree with point 2. I also feel even within your niche, you should have certain criteria that must be met before you take on a gig.

Like for example, I have a rule with new clients that I either get paid daily or the day after the gig is completed. Now, I have broken this rule a few times because they promised a lot of money and I was dreaming about the money till I completed the gig and the client went ghostmode on me (till today).

I believe as a freelance writer (or any other freelancer), the most important part of this whole shebang is "free". If you're not free, then you're just an employee that works from long distance.

You should have certain rules for yourself and the kind of gigs you take on. You don't have to do every job. Every client is not meant to be your client. Decide what kind of jobs you want to take, and what criteria you need to be fulfilled before you accept a job and be willing to let the chips fall where they may.

Tips 3 and 4 are the definite truth! I can't count how many times I have procrastinated and it has come back to bite me in the a$$. Thankfully, I have cut down on that now.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Automatic Following Topic After Post Don't Work / Join Revsplitnetwork Today And Advertise Your Business/blog To The World / Non-hosted google Adsense For Sale at bonanza price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.