Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,295 members, 7,954,174 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:38 PM

Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. (17075 Views)

All Beneficiaries Should Ensure To Stamp Their Deployment Latter And Upload It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ItsawrapOutfit: 7:56am On Jan 12, 2017
Noted
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Jammiiee(m): 7:57am On Jan 12, 2017
Madam calm down and learn with an open mind. The man has just been fair enough to give you the secrets of HR in order for you to avoid the pitfalls but here you are, still whining. I can only remember that part of the scripture that says
" My people perish because of lack of knowledge ". angry

Op. Tnx for sharing. This was quite insightful. Now I know why many keep sending their emails, applying for job and sometimes it bounces back. kiss
Sweetestrose:
Mtchewww, most hr just have a way to justify some of their deeds. At the end of the day, it still boils down to "man know man". How can you say that an application has chances to be considered as "late" when the proposed stated deadline had not elapsed. When on some occasions the deadline of some job application is even the day it was posted.
And from your statement, you have also confirmed that you do not go through all CVS as you tend to pick only the ones that are captivating "to you" hence equal opportunity is not given to all applicants.
Continue, God is watching you guys in 3d.
You forget that tables may turn one day as this world we live in is a circle.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by bobbybrown007: 8:00am On Jan 12, 2017
hyfr:
There's a saying that goes like this "don't judge a book by its cover" your procedures to me is flawed and biased in a way
it depends on the kind of standard been given on how to employ a person seeking for job, everything is been calculated, ur spellings and others so they take time to read what you have written but mind you first come first serve
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 12, 2017
bobbybrown007:
yeah have seen a case like that but they were like this guy doesn't have a degree like the other guy the reason was because the guy where all called to do some graphic design with system but the guy who had second sch certificate was far better that the other one with qualification, they were kind of confused on what to do and who to choose
I get you, but trust me at the end of the day it pays to have someone with multinational experience or who has worked in a blue chip company in a similar position
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 8:02am On Jan 12, 2017
NOTE:

If you are asked for PDF format, by all means make it so.
If you are asked for your subject to be in a format, do not add a letter to it.
If you are asked to attach your resume, do not paste it in the body of the mail.
If you are asked that the weight of your CV should not be more than 1MB, there is a reason.

When an application comes in and this is not followed, it will be rejected, may not be accepted, be sent to spam etc.
If by chance it comes in, as a result of a bug or an error or luck, it is common sense to delete such. Deleting itself is hardwork. Who wants to interview someone who cannot follow instructions?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by breatheagain(m): 8:03am On Jan 12, 2017
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 8:05am On Jan 12, 2017
breatheagain:
abeg oga Hr,anything for me?Lost my job to biz closure

If there is an opening, it would be posted accordingly.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Jammiiee(m): 8:05am On Jan 12, 2017
Kudos bro, I really appreciate this, I've heard tha first come first serve from another HR as well . I'm very sure many HRs use this method, though there might be addition for others, but this simply looks like the basics.
Once again thanks a bunch smiley wink
nmreports:

SMH... Thousands could be tens of thousands. Don't sound ignorant. Thousands could mean more than a million.
Answer the question if you have one sir/ ma
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 8:08am On Jan 12, 2017
Jammiiee:
Kudos bro, I really appreciate this, I've heard tha first come first serve from another HR as well . I'm very sure many HRs use this method, though there might be addition for others, but this simply looks like the basics.
Once again thanks a bunch smiley wink

To be honest, how else do you think one should be fair. So it has to be who applied. Remember there are a lot of people who applied and its difficult to look through all of them unless of course the organization has a robust HR department.

Note however, that this is a technique of one person and it does not represent the whole community of HR personnel.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by yedidiah(m): 8:09am On Jan 12, 2017
HR feeling like lord of lords

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ModestGal(f): 8:17am On Jan 12, 2017
Such is life, I guess you can reduce the number of applicants by shortening the duration of the submission of cv's
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Jammiiee(m): 8:18am On Jan 12, 2017
Don't mind those criticising your method. A man can't simply be checking tru thousands of CV all in the name of fairness. Set the rules, I'm sure everyone applying are privy to the rules and if anyone doesn't follow it then no one should blame the HR. Infact it even helps those that know what they are doing. Who has such length of time in a very competitive atmosphere. Imagine 20,000 applicants for just 500 available vacancy. And some here would still expect such HR to proof read all the CVs? sad i
nmreports:

To be honest, how else do you think one should be fair. So it has to be who applied. Remember there are a lot of people who applied and its difficult to look through all of them unless of course the organization has a robust HR department.

Note however, that this is a technique of one person and it does not represent the whole community of HR personnel.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ModestGal(f): 8:18am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

I guess you can reduce the number of applicants by shortening the duration of the submission of cv's
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:30am On Jan 12, 2017
bobbybrown007:
Well sha that is for her own side, when I was doing my training at LBS, that is lagos business school I worked with the HR ehn I was in charge of some things like collecting of applications and doing so Requisition. When it comes to the applications ehn it is sub-divided into TWO types of files first is the Uni letters and the others are for polly files depending on what you want to apply for, but when it comes to reading of the letters they tend to call people who are. Qualified on peppers to come and be interviewed but if you are well qualified for the post you will be employed to work but if you are not the lord is your strength. At times they might not be fairness ooooo, some of them might be forgotten it takes by the grace of God for them to remember ur CV and applications hope I am making common sense here
can you imagine!
forgotten?
why?
don't you know expectant applicants are waiting for that call from you guys?

what happened to simply regret mail?
its your job that's what you are paid for.

no wonder on the average in naija it takes 6-8 hours for customer care to reply customer complaints via mail.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by dsocioemmy(m): 8:38am On Jan 12, 2017
Nice one. But in all these, we cant take away the human factor or the 'Nigeria' factor of man know man out of this. Unless our 'person' didnt apply for the job
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by histemple: 8:39am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:
This is to help some of us who have been wondering how this is done and to all those who believe HR do not check CVs because of the volume. The assumption is that someone already has the job before the vacancy was posted.

For me, here is what I do:
Note: This does not represent all HR personnel mode of operation neither does it represent my organizations own.

1. When I post a vacancy to received CVs, from experience, most would be rejected because I use a screening technique that automatically sends emails that do not follow the stated instructions to spam. So those who did not follow the instructions were automatically taken to spam.

2. Those with luck who for some reasons found their way in as a result of some bug would be manually deleted by me.
Reason is that I have enough CV already and I cant start looking at someone who did not even follow instructions in the first place.
If you cannot follow instructions then you could be a bad fit.

3. The next step for me is to go from the beginning to see those who applied first (Its my own technique) then I start from there. I feel this is the only way for me to do justice. First come first served.

Thats why in the three major mistakes job seekers make, I mentioned that applicants should always apply fast: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html

4. I look at the contents, the structure before I even open the attachment. Your presentation matters to me.

My point is yes, we cannot look through all CVs but each HR person has a technique to ensure that fairness is implemented. How do you do it?

Related articles on www.HRtechnique.com

Well, my consolation here is that you said this technique is yours alone and not even that of your organization. I will advice that you review your processes because this isn't fair enough, especially for your organization.

The reason we ask applicants to use certain formats is for ease of screening and any applicant who complied with this instruction must be screened.

As an experienced HR person, it takes less than 4 hours to sort a million CVs, that is if you even get that much applications for a particular position.

A sound HR expert who knows what he/she is looking for, should be able to reduce a million CVs to 50 during sorting.

For example, if you are looking for an experienced person to work in a company's finance department, you already know the relevant educational background and work experience preferable.

From a CV of 50, you should be able to use other criteria such as rating of previous organization, position occupied, etc to get your final 10 for interview.

Where you trash an application that falls within the deadline simply because it wasn't the first, is injustice. What if the last 10 to apply are the most qualified?

A very important aspect of HR is the feedback. You must acknowledge receipt of all applications and perhaps send a feedback mails at the end of all your processes. Like sending a regret mail at any point you intend to discontinue with an application.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ModestGal(f): 8:40am On Jan 12, 2017
Someone should pls help me with a starndard cv
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by bobbybrown007: 8:43am On Jan 12, 2017
VeeVeeMyLuv:

can you imagine!
forgotten?
why?
don't you know expectant applicants are waiting for that call from you guys?

what happened to simply regret mail?
its your job that's what you are paid for.

no wonder on the average in naija it takes 6-8 hours for customer care to reply customer complaints via mail.

when I mean forgotten about ur written CV or application by people is that they don't really need workers at that period in time at times it takes years for them to go through their files to find some people applications to just fill a void. But @ times when people want to find work they should no more about the so called work place they should no where and which department they are lagging on before submitting their files
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by osolee(m): 8:44am On Jan 12, 2017
ModestGal:
Someone should pls help me with a starndard cv
Bring ur CV to me kiss
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by bobbybrown007: 8:45am On Jan 12, 2017
yedidiah:
HR feeling like lord of lords
yes ooooooooo, because if anything goes wrong it will be the HR fault
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ogwoliun: 8:45am On Jan 12, 2017
If candidates were asked to 'send your CV', does it means you should also include application/cover letter? But some will said a cover/application letter with your CV which is understandable.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by lonelydora: 8:52am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:
This is to help some of us who have been wondering how this is done and to all those who believe HR do not check CVs because of the volume. The assumption is that someone already has the job before the vacancy was posted.

For me, here is what I do:
Note: This does not represent all HR personnel mode of operation neither does it represent my organizations own.

1. When I post a vacancy to received CVs, from experience, most would be rejected because I use a screening technique that automatically sends emails that do not follow the stated instructions to spam. So those who did not follow the instructions were automatically taken to spam.

2. Those with luck who for some reasons found their way in as a result of some bug would be manually deleted by me.
Reason is that I have enough CV already and I cant start looking at someone who did not even follow instructions in the first place.
If you cannot follow instructions then you could be a bad fit.

3. The next step for me is to go from the beginning to see those who applied first (Its my own technique) then I start from there. I feel this is the only way for me to do justice. First come first served.

Thats why in the three major mistakes job seekers make, I mentioned that applicants should always apply fast: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html

4. I look at the contents, the structure before I even open the attachment. Your presentation matters to me.

My point is yes, we cannot look through all CVs but each HR person has a technique to ensure that fairness is implemented. How do you do it?

Related articles on www.HRtechnique.com

Help some people in need. Can I send you some CVs?
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 8:53am On Jan 12, 2017
histemple:

Well, my consolation here is that you said this technique is yours alone and not even that of your organization. I will advice that you review your processes because this isn't fair enough, especially for your organization.

The reason we ask applicants to use certain formats is for ease of screening and any applicant who complied with this instruction must be screened.

As an experienced HR person, it takes less than 4 hours to sort a million CVs, that is if you even get that much applications for a particular position.

A sound HR expert who knows what he/she is looking for, should be able to reduce a million CVs to 50 during sorting.

For example, if you are looking for an experienced person to work in a company's finance department, you already know the relevant educational background and work experience preferable.

From a CV of 50, you should be able to use other criteria such as rating of previous organization, position occupied, etc to get your final 10 for interview.

Where you trash an application that falls within the deadline simply because it wasn't the first, is injustice. What if the last 10 to apply are the most qualified?

A very important aspect of HR is the feedback. You must acknowledge receipt of all applications and perhaps send a feedback mails at the end of all your processes. Like sending a regret mail at any point you intend to discontinue with an application.

You are absolutely correct. You would however agree with me that this can only happen in robust HR department right?.
However, I am open to your comments. Like you said, you are a god in HR so what do I know than to learn from you.
The discussion was made open for people like you. Thanks for your comment.

Do you mind enlightening me how you reduce a million cvs to 50 in 4 hours?. Just curious. I can send you a pm if you feel my question is sardonic.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by ModestGal(f): 8:57am On Jan 12, 2017
osolee:

Bring ur CV to me kiss
Hi,where are you,am damn serious, I hate looking for jobs,so i aint serious about cvs
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Harinholar(f): 8:59am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

I am open to criticisms and recommendations. Appreciate your comment.

What would you have done to a million CVs?. Just asking in all humility.
. U can as well pick or go through those CV @random..The idea of first come first serve can never be the best to me...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Harinholar(f): 9:06am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

You are absolutely correct. You would however agree with me that this can only happen in robust HR department right?.
However, I am open to your comments. Like you said, you are a god in HR so what do I know than to learn from you.

Do you mind enlightening me how you reduce a million cvs to 50 in 4 hours?. Just curious. I can send you a pm if you feel my question is sardonic.
. Going by your last question.....it's not a must you wait till you received Million of Cvs...in an organization where 50 employee is needed.....The advert of these Vacant post should not be more than 2 to 3 days to reduce the number of Cv rolling in...Then you wll have your time to do justice to those ones
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Origin(f): 9:10am On Jan 12, 2017
In naija?

LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES.

Only if your CV is accompanied by a note.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:13am On Jan 12, 2017
Harinholar:
. Going by your last question.....it's not a must you wait till you received Million of Cvs...in an organization where 50 employee is needed.....The advert of these Vacant post should not be more than 2 to 3 days to reduce the number of Cv rolling in...Then you wll have your time to do justice to those ones

I totally agree with you. The issue is that it is also considered HR best practice that the minimum number of days to leave a vacancy open is 2 weeks.
Remember CIPM study book of AHRM PE1, page 21, Advertising disadvantages, item 4.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by osolee(m): 9:15am On Jan 12, 2017
ModestGal:

Hi,where are you,am damn serious, I hate looking for jobs,so i aint serious about cvs
Check ur watsapp kiss
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 9:16am On Jan 12, 2017
Well, op am a HR personnel too in the international market. I will tell you vividly that your talent acquisition method lack validity, reliability & objactivity. You should know what I mean if really you are a practicing one.
Also, may be because you in Nigeria where the rate of unemployment is high. Remember your target employee(passive seekers) don't have time to apply & some don't even read job ads & they submit late if there is need for them to apply.....
So, correct your method man.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by casiello(m): 9:18am On Jan 12, 2017
Y[b]ou are absolutely correct. You would however agree with me that this can only happen in robust HR department right?.

Do you mind enlightening me how you reduce a million cvs to 50 in 4 hours?. Just curious. I can send you a pm if you feel my question is sardonic.[/quote][/b]

[quote author=nmreports post=52737522]

Modestgal already answered your question. Shorten the application duration!!

Where you have a vacancy for just one or a few position, you can limit the application period to maximum of a week.

Also, consider using an appplication portal, it would add objectivity and efficiency to your process.

Importantly, be solution-oriented! Don't always hide behind the excuse of excess applications. Fact is Nigeria is plagued with unemployment and under-employment so always factor in receipt of excessive and unsuitable applications prior to posting a vacancy.

Your process is obsolete and subjectivity, you need to move forward. Ever heard of the word Process improvement? Your job currently needs it.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:20am On Jan 12, 2017
casiello:

Modestgal already answered your question. Shorten the application duration!!!

Where you have a vacancy for just one or a few position, you can limit the application period to maximum of a week.

Also, consider using an appplication portal, it would add objectivity and efficiency to your process.

Importantly, be solution-oriented! Don't always hide behind the excuse of excess applications. Fact is Nigeria is plagued with unemployment and under-employment so always factor in receipt of excessive and unsuitable applications prior to posting a vacancy.

Your process is obsolete and subjectivity, you need to move forward. Ever heard of the word Process improvement? Your job currently needs it.

Ayam just learning from you guys o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Of These Online Skills Would You Recommend For Me To Learn / N-power: N-power Batch C Included In 2021 Budget, To Commence Soon / FG Institutes Panel To Oversee Fresh NIS Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.