Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,420 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves (894 Views)

Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian TV Host (pictures) / Top 7 Nostalgic Nigerian TV Commercials To Take You Down Memory Lane [video] / Top 15 Nigerian TV Series You Should Start Binge-watching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves by musicwriter(m): 8:29pm On Jan 16, 2017
I' am currently researching to create a TV show, but so disappointed at what I've discovered so far about the industry. The reason I like taking up research on anything that interests me is because it opens up a whole new world you never knew existed. To my dismay, I just discovered foreigners and foreign programmes have a deadly grip on what happens on our TV airwaves. I realized Nigerians are not in charge!!.

I' ve been saying it for years that we are still in slavery, cause everywhere I look all I see is slavery. Its clear to me the word's system of things is structured to keep Africa and other third world countries perpetually dependent in all areas. Is it in sports? Best players from third world countries would always end up in Europe earning money for their sports industry. When you understand it, you'll understand its the same reason we produce crude oil and import petrol. Its a design created at the end of the second world war!!. Winston Churchill said it. He said "the rich nations MUST rule the world and they're to be assisted by rich people in poor countries".

This's why there's no power in our hands!!. And there would never be until Africans and their leaders re-invent education in Africa to learn on our own terms. I don't see anywhere out of our slumber until we re-create education for the education of an African mindset. We must take our destiny into our own hands, if we must become really a free people. One of the professionals, Mr. Aderemi Ogunpitan that I came across online was almost saying the same thing I've argued independently- that we need to take control of who we are. He came short of pointing out it could only be done via African oriented model of education, but I understand he was only writing on the view point of the TV industry.

All along I've been of the impression we're 100% in charge of our TV programmes. Imagine the shock I got when I learnt we're not in control of what shows on our TV airwaves.

This's why the only African I'll ever respect is Lord Kwame Nkrumah. He saw all this coming and he warned that there's a new type of colonialism that Africans should watch out for; neo-colonialism. Indeed, Lord Nkrumah said "neo-colonialism is the last stage of imperialism".

If you're looking to begin a TV show in Nigeria, please take a look at the below articles by professionals frustrated about what's going on in the industry. It's a sad story.

(1). By Chris Ihidero.

(a). http://nigerianstalk.org/2011/04/27/why-there-will-be-crap-on-nigerian-television-for-a-long-time-to-come-part-1/

(b). http://nigerianstalk.org/2011/05/04/why-there-will-be-crap-on-nigerian-television-for-a-long-time-to-come-part-2/
........................................................................................................

(2). By Aderemi Ogunpitan.

https://tvproductionnigeria.com/2011/07/25/recreating-the-nigerian-tv-production-industry/#comments
..........................................................................................................

(3). By Charles Novia.

http://www.brandworknigeria.com/index.php?option=com_categoryblock&view=article&Itemid=54&id=692
Re: How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves by ammyluv2002(f): 8:42pm On Jan 16, 2017
Op, don't blame Nigerians! Remember, they were given a chance but they misused it. Most of the directors, writers & producers are not that creative, they end up giving us crap #NoOffence

Who doesn't love good shows? The writers , producers & directors need to move with the trend. Some of them are so 1980...You can't watch a clip for 5 minutes without citing errors.

Nigerians are hungry for good quality films, some of them are already doing so well sha.

You can be that change we need...

3 Likes

Re: How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves by musicwriter(m): 8:53pm On Jan 16, 2017
ammyluv2002:
Op, don't blame Nigerians! Remember, they were given a chance but they misused it. Most of the directors, writers & producers are not that creative, they end up giving us crap #NoOffence

Who doesn't love good shows? The writers , producers & directors need to move with the trend. Some of them are so 1980...You can't watch a clip for 5 minutes without citing errors.

Nigerians are hungry for good quality films, some of them are already doing so well sha.

You can be that change we need...

If you read the given links you'll discover the reason for crappy works is because the government and the TV stations are not supporting independent producers/studios, even if they have a good script/project. So, they have to make-do with little resources to prepare their shows, and this usually end up in not-too-good shows. Then, Multichoice and a whole lot of foreigners take advantage of that to displace Nigerians out of our airwaves.

Really, what going on here is what has been dramatised in the movie "blood diamond", and that's a model for most of the expoitations happening all over Africa.

Yes, I could be that change, but what I've discovered so far about the industry is very disappointing- to say the least.
Re: How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves by Akposb(m): 11:43am On Jan 17, 2017
I understand your fears and revulsion but the more you employ this conspiracy theory, the more you run away from the main issue. We are our own problem when it comes to being exploited by foreigners.

Lord Kwame Nkrumah, you say, this man flunked his lines big time without mincing words. The issue at hand is people's choices and checking up DSTV lately, a good number of Nigerian stations have been added to their platform.
Re: How Foreigners Control Nigerian TV Programming And Airwaves by Saintzykie: 11:44am On Jan 17, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Watch A Video Of Tboss Walking Unclad In The Dressing Room ( +18 Video ) / First Internet Review Of Baahubali 2 The Conclusion Is Out Now / Why Hitv Failed Against Dstv And What Tstv Can Learn From It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.