Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,093 members, 7,953,332 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:27 PM

Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest (31851 Views)

Deity Chief-Priest Shot As SARS Officers Arrest Masquerades In Anambra (Photos) / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Ebenezer Tunde Omobobami Begs Police To Stop Him From Being Ogun Chief Priest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by bennybaba(m): 5:14pm On Jan 18, 2017
Theyveedo:
Just that?

Am sure he used money meant for the gods to PH grin
....Na your full village dey worry you I swear sad
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by OlaoChi: 12:22pm On Jan 19, 2017
AreaFada2:

There is nothing new here.

The argument is not about Oba of Benin being descendant of Oduduwa through Oranmiyan. Nobody in Benin has ever disputed that. We have thrashed this matter over the years here on NL. Including during coronations of Ooni & Oba of Benin in the last few years.

The matter is that in Benin history, Oduduwa himself was an exiled Benin Prince called Ekaladerhan. Benin do not believe Oduduwa wandering from Arabia/Egypt/Sudan or even Israel as various Yoruba sources assert. grin cheesy

Another person that came with Oranmiyan from Ife is Oloton. Chief Oloton today is the keeper of royal ancestral shrine in Benin.
I think some of our SW people are sometimes too obsessed with claim that Benin people deny any relationship with Oduduwa that they do not actually even analyse what Benin people say about their history. I think attempt at political tribal/numerical supremacy is what some of you really demonstrate.
What irks many Benin people even more is some reckless utterance by some SW people that Benin people are descended from Yoruba. Even though philological and anthropological studies clearly prove otherwise.

Nothing new about a foreign raised prince taking courtiers from home with him if going to become King in another land. It abounds in history since antiquity. Whether it is Ptolemy I Soter (and other Alexandrian diodochi/successors) from Macedon becoming Pharaoh of Egypt, William of Normandy becoming King of England, Prince Iginiwuwa of Benin becoming Ogiame of Warri, Prince Ado becoming Eleko of Lagos, Austrian Prince Ferdinand Maximilian becoming Emperor of Mexico and so on. All went with courtiers from their homeland.

Benin people's culture, traditions and sense history are too strong that not even America, or EU can impose any version of history on Benin.

And Ife sources have it that Oduduwa came from Oke-Ora. Which Historians take more seriously now, actually no Historian takes the Bini claim seriously
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 3:17pm On Jan 19, 2017
OlaoChi:

And Ife sources have it that Oduduwa came from Oke-Ora. Which Historians take more seriously now, actually no Historian takes the Bini claim seriously

Correction.

Maybe some Yoruba or Yoruba-influenced historians. What would you expect in a country where propaganda, bigotry & tribalism reign supreme, where truth has no place?

Just like no Benin or Benin-influenced historians take no Desert/Middle East or Oke-Ora version seriously.

Well, I guess my SW people finally realised just how flawed and ridiculous the Middle East story sounds and had to come up with another story. cheesy grin grin

The new version is at least better but they should have made up their mind on which version to tell the world earlier. Still it does not make it any more credible. SW trying to use numerical advantage and early advantage of Western education too try to dictate history clearly does not wash. Just because they can sell their Brazillian/Cuban ex-slave diaspora fictitious stories does not authenticate it.

Benin has no ex-slave diaspora (were never conquered by slave traders and never sold themselves into slavery) to have to brainwash. Benin story is pretty intact and consistent and do not have to invent various versions hoping that historians will finally take one seriously. tongue grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 2:36am On Jan 20, 2017
AreaFada2:

Correction.

Maybe some Yoruba or Yoruba-influenced historians. What would you expect in a country where propaganda, bigotry & tribalism reign supreme, where truth has no place?

Just like no Benin or Benin-influenced historians take no Desert/Middle East or Oke-Ora version seriously.

Well, I guess my SW people finally realised just how flawed and ridiculous the Middle East story sounds and had to come up with another story. cheesy grin grin

The new version is at least better but they should have made up their mind on which version to tell the world earlier. Still it does not make it any more credible. SW trying to use numerical advantage and early advantage of Western education too try to dictate history clearly does not wash. Just because they can sell their Brazillian/Cuban ex-slave diaspora fictitious stories does not authenticate it.

Benin has no ex-slave diaspora (were never conquered by slave traders and never sold themselves into slavery) to have to brainwash. Benin story is pretty intact and consistent and do not have to invent various versions hoping that historians will finally take one seriously. tongue grin cheesy

to all due repect u are one of a kind

to my brothers in sw u have to stop u carved lies even the biafrans and the mortherners knowa oduduwa hiatory hos lies ur oduduwa ahld be awolowo the man who united all the westerners and gave the name yoruba to u all i see him as your oduduwa not the guy from east
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 2:39am On Jan 20, 2017
AreaFada2:

Correction.

to all due repect u are one of a kind

to my brothers in sw u have to stop u carved lies even the biafrans and the mortherners knowa oduduwa hiatory hos lies ur oduduwa ahld be awolowo the man who united all the westerners and gave the name yoruba to u all i see him as your oduduwa not the guy from east
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by OlaoChi: 10:58am On Jan 20, 2017
AreaFada2:

Correction.

I talk about world class historians regardless of origin. People who take a fondness for African History, are there any reputable historians of Bini descent? It is not about massaging Bini ego but telling History with facts. What about Historians that are neither Bini nor Yoruba? Who takes the Bini claim seriously?

I think the 'new version' as you call it, is not so new, it has after all been a part of the coronation rites, shrine sites and the oriki in Ife, Nigerian 'Historians'(if you can call them that) have only been too lazy and focused on more Northern Civilizations, many driven by their Religion, hence you find Muslims cling to Mecca, nowadays you will even hear Israel claimed by christians

Benin claim on oduduwa is not consistent, it is recent, and is not even backed up by the Oba's coronation rites or his oriki, should I talk about how you can not settled for one name between Izoduwa and Imadoduwa, or how many versions of the narration of how he left Bini for Ife exists

An Historian must be driven by Passion, and utilize accepted Methods; in this part of the world - Oriki, Coronation rites, Festival reenactments, Oral tradition
I can mention at least 2 non-yoruba historians who utilize this method, and have recognized a link between Oduduwa and Oke-ora, but not a mention about Bini

Try to be open-minded
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 12:12pm On Jan 20, 2017
OlaoChi:

I talk about world class historians regardless of origin. People who take a fondness for African History, are there any reputable historians of Bini descent? It is not about massaging Bini ego but telling History with facts. What about Historians that are neither Bini nor Yoruba? Who takes the Bini claim seriously?

I think the 'new version' as you call it, is not so new, it has after all been a part of the coronation rites, shrine sites and the oriki in Ife, Nigerian 'Historians'(if you can call them that) have only been too lazy and focused on more Northern Civilizations, many driven by their Religion, hence you find Muslims cling to Mecca, nowadays you will even hear Israel claimed by christians

Benin claim on oduduwa is not consistent, it is recent, and is not even backed up by the Oba's coronation rites or his oriki, should I talk about how you can not settled for one name between Izoduwa and Imadoduwa, or how many versions of the narration of how he left Bini for Ife exists

An Historian must be driven by Passion, and utilize accepted Methods; in this part of the world - Oriki, Coronation rites, Festival reenactments, Oral tradition
I can mention at least 2 non-yoruba historians who utilize this method, and have recognized a link between Oduduwa and Oke-ora, but not a mention about Bini

Try to be open-minded

Well, the non-Benin historians you mentioned probably went to University of Ibadan or Ife or maybe Lagos. If not, they probably just followed the history books written by mostly Yoruba people, not out of genuine original research.

Take for example: it took me reading about 10 different books on Napoleon Bonaparte to get a more balanced view. Those books mostly written by British writers (and partly Oxbridge-educated Americans/Australian/NZlander) largely cast him as a villain. Those written by French writers see him as a hero. But those written by Swiss, Dutch, German & Scandinavian writers provided interesting details that both the anglophone & francophone writers omitted when it didn't suite the narrative they want to put forward.

Izoduwa/Imadoduwa are synonymous, so no controversy there.

This matter of oriki is over-hyped. Every Benin person has an oriki. I have thoroughly explained it before. You're praised by your oriki every morning when you greet your elders. Benin do not greet elders "good morning/afternoon/evening.....Ekaro/ekasan...etc".
You greet according to your family lineage and the virtues of your ancestors are extolled in your oriki.

My humble self and thousands more who descend from Oba Eweka I basically have the same lineage oriki like the Oba. The Oba has additional regnal oriki when he ascends the thrown. Descendants of Chief Ero (Duke & Keeper of North-Western City gate) have theirs, of Chief Ezomo...Field Commander of the Royal Army have theirs, of Elawure (Duke of Usen) and more have theirs.

QEII of England has Oriki & she does not descend from Oduduwa. grin cheesy

Your lineage, history and ancestry are encapsulated in your morning greeting. History lives & breaths in Benin. Not something you can just wake up one day & make up.

How can it be new when I heard same history consistently from people born around 1875? People who were over 100 years old in 1985 & were already in their 40s and more when WW1 broke out in 1914? shocked shocked shocked shocked

British people's refusal to build schools in Benin did Benin people a lot of disadvantage. They feared that Ovonramwen having been exiled to Calabar not long ago, and anger in Benin, educating Benin people would create an educated class that would cause the British much trouble.

They had learned from the struggle of those Africans educated at Fourah Bay College in Sierra Leone & Lagos schools against the British. Those who founded Local Newspapers & were to found political parties later on. The British officers noted that in their memos to Whitehall/Govt in London. They/the British even refused Benin communities like Oghada that wanted to build & fund schools for their kids by themselves. Those communities were quite financially buoyant from booming latex rubber tapping & trade.

SW used that early educational advantage to write down whatever they wanted. When Benin people now came forward to correct those errors, SW now claim that Benin version is new.

Look, my ancestry shows clear descent from Ododuwa. I wonder if even you can tell us exactly how you descend from Ododuwa. Because NOT all Yoruba people descend biologically from him. Spiritual/political ancestor of all Yorubas I agree. Ododuwa lived less than 1000 years ago. Yoruba people have been in current SW area with movements now & then for about 5000 years.

I wonder why you think you are more open-minded than me. Very funny. Aside ancient Ododuwa, my other relative in more recent history is a first class Oba in Eastern Yorubaland. Just so that you know.

I write my epistles for the benefit of many out there who quietly read it and learn.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 10:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
lionofafrica:
The example laid down by Oshiomole in his last few days in office is now taking a firm root in Edo state. In reality, I am not in support of the garrulous actions credited to the traditional ruler suspended by Oshiomole, it was only the process of deposition that I found improper. While the allegations made against the suspended (or deposed?) Edo high chief appear to be quite damning, it would have been better if an inquiry is conducted before wielding the big stick. Otherwise, it resembles a witch-hunting against a member of the opposition party. In other words, it looks as if anyone who is not an APC member in Edo state had better resign honorably or be booted out of office by the powers that be. This will be another low in Nigeria’s political history because earlier Nigerian administrations had never resorted to witch-hunting of opposition party members employed in both public and civil service. This had never been the case since 1960 when the British colonialists forcefully amalgamated the hitherto independent nations into one.
Oshiomole’s successor, Obaseki did not waste time following his predecessor’s footsteps by sacking a permanent secretary without any sort investigation. And now the fever is spreading very fast with the new been a high chiefs in Edo kingdom. The kingdom claims that it is revising a re-organization that took place long ago in 1280 AD was in 2017 AD apparently because the incumbent high chief happens to belong to a rival political party, the PDP!
One might then ask:
Who is next in line?
Cry, the beloved country – Alan Paton.

From your assertion, it is obvious you believe all these gists you read in blogs. grin shocked

The matter between the current Oba & Isekhure is not new. But Oba Erediauwa was able to keep it in check over the last few years.
It has little to do with APC/PDP kind of politics. If anything, one would expect Oba Ewuare to have a soft spot for PDP. His ambassadorial appointments in Africa & several European countries were during PDP years.

As an ambassador, he was also outside Nigeria during much of our current political period until a few years back. Not to mention the political neutrality he had and has to be seen to demonstrate.

Now a bit of history: The suspended Isekhure descends from one of the ancient relatives of the Oba. From Oranmiyan time. The ancestor of the current Isekhure was Chief Ihama of Benin. Ihama (Head of Ihogbe Palace Society/Department) is till today a high chief of Benin and senior to Isekhure. Ihogbe is the Palace department in charge of many private aspects & rituals of the Royal Household. Including royal funeral. They were very privileged in Imperial times being Oba's relatives. They are the family the Oba calls upon when family things have to be done. Isekhure is one of the senior chiefs within this palace department.

Isekhure title/position only came about 800 years ago because the Ihama at that time was old and frail and his palace was faraway from Oba's palace. Crossing rivers and walking long distances to perform rituals whenever the Oba needed him (quite often then) was becoming very difficult. So Oba Ewedo (great grandson of Oranmiyan) instructed him to nominate one of his sons and send him to live near Oba's Palace in Benin proper and perform Ihama's duties as chief priest on his behalf. It was just for expediency & practicality. With time Isekhure became a permanent position, but still generally under Ihama's lead in the department.

With time, Isekhure became leader the Ihogbe group that near Oba's palace (within Benin City proper). I guess this leadership of a section of Ihogbe must have made Isekhure assume he's overall senior chief of Ihogbe. But history is very clear on this.

The current Isekhure is alleged to be claiming seniority over certain chiefs that is traditionally not the case. Worse still, he's alleged to be claiming Leadership of the Royal Family. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This discussion has been on among Ihogbe people for sometime. What happened now is no surprise.

With influence, wealth & privilege, it is only normal that humans begin to feel too important and want more of everything. It is lesson in human nature.
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by OlaoChi: 3:08am On Jan 21, 2017
AreaFada2:

Well, the non-Benin historians you mentioned probably went to University of Ibadan or Ife or maybe Lagos. If not, they probably just followed the history books written by mostly Yoruba people, not out of genuine original research.

Take for example: it took me reading about 10 different books on Napoleon Bonaparte to get a more balanced view. Those books mostly written by British writers (and partly Oxbridge-educated Americans/Australian/NZlander) largely cast him as a villain. Those written by French writers see him as a hero. But those written by Swiss, Dutch, German & Scandinavian writers provided interesting details that both the anglophone & francophone writers omitted when it didn't suite the narrative they want to put forward.

Izoduwa/Imadoduwa are synonymous, so no controversy there.

This matter of oriki is over-hyped. Every Benin person has an oriki. I have thoroughly explained it before. You're praised by your oriki every morning when you greet your elders. Benin do not greet elders "good morning/afternoon/evening.....Ekaro/ekasan...etc".
You greet according to your family lineage and the virtues of your ancestors are extolled in your oriki.

My humble self and thousands more who descend from Oba Eweka II basically have the same lineage oriki like the Oba. The Oba has additional regnal oriki when he ascends the thrown. Descendants of Chief Ero (Duke & Keeper of North-Western City gate) have theirs, of Chief Ezomo...Field Commander of the Royal Army have theirs, of Elawure (Duke of Usen) and more have theirs.

QEII of England has Oriki & she does not descended from Oduduwa. grin cheesy

Your lineage, history and ancestry are encapsulated in your morning greeting. History lives & breaths in Benin. Not something you can just wake up one day & make up.

How can it be new when I heard same history consistently from people born around 1875? People who were over 100 years old in 1985 & were already in their 40s and more when WW1 broke out in 1914? shocked shocked shocked shocked

British people's refusal to build schools in Benin did Benin people a lot of disadvantage. They feared that Ovonramwen having been exiled to Calabar not long ago, and anger in Benin, educating Benin people would create an educated class that would cause the British much trouble.

They had learned from the struggle of those Africans educated at Fourah Bay College in Sierra Leone & Lagos schools against the British. Those who founded Local Newspapers & were to found political parties later on. The British officers noted that in their memos to Whitehall/Govt in London. They/the British even refused Benin communities like Oghada that wanted to build & fund schools for their kids by themselves. Those communities were quite financially buoyant from booming latex rubber tapping & trade.

SW used that early educational advantage to write down whatever they wanted. When Benin people now came forward to correct those errors, SW now claim that Benin version is new.

Look, my ancestry shows clear descent from Ododuwa. I wonder if even you can tell us exactly how you descend from Ododuwa. Because NOT all Yoruba people descend biologically from him. Spiritual/political ancestor of all Yorubas I agree. Ododuwa lived less than 1000 years ago. Yoruba people have been in current SW area with movements now & then for about 5000 years.

I wonder why you think you are more open-minded than me. Very funny. Aside ancient Ododuwa, my other relative in more recent history is a first class Oba in Eastern Yorubaland. Just so that you know.

I write my epistles for the benefit of many out there who quietly read it and learn.

You were just going on and on without even addressing the post properly. The importance of Oriki is to keep the history of the lineage.. If Ekaledehan is the ancestor of the Obas, An indication should be in the Oriki of the Oba but Lo! no mention of the Run away Prince in the Oba's Oriki neither is there a mention of Imadoduwa or Izoduwa (which are two different names: inconsistency and flaw in your claim) But there is a mention of the name 'oduduwa' , a mention of his name Adimula

Maybe I should Paste bits of the Oba's oriki to prove his lineage

Ovbi' Adimila, Abieyuwa N'Ovbi Odua N'uhe

( not Ovbi Izoduwa or Ekalederan)

Stop blaming Literacy, History is not by literacy but Methods - Methods I said before - Coronation rites, Oriki and Oral tradition.. Ekalederan as Oduduwa fails with this method hence, no World class African Historian takes it seriously, not even foreigners(since you accuse all yoruba historians of bigotry)
The same Europeans gave you audience to talk about Bini, Most of the local narratives indicated a great admiration and awe for Ife.

i have heard more than 2 names for this prince, there is Ikalederan, Ekaladerhan, I wonder why there is no consensus on his name, Bini is not a complicated language, it does not have dialects so I just don't see any honest reason behind the contradiction.

This is not a medium for telling our personal ancestral line, if you recognize Oduduwa as your father, then you will be open minded to origin of this individual and not closed minded, clinging to some claims that fail to follow the Standard of History just because you want to massage your Bini ego, you are taking this as an ethnic war, as if you can stand an ethnic war against the yoruba

The truth is Oduduwa's origin should be best deciphered through the institutions at Ife, because he is Oduduwa of Ife, and If Ife says Oke-ora is his origin, and presents evidence in Coronation rite and long held traditions(backed by shrine sites), that has struck a fatal blow to whatever other claims exist and Historians know this... Nobody takes the Bini claim seriously in the Field of History
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by Legitman22(m): 12:02pm On Jan 21, 2017
Observing
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 12:15pm On Jan 21, 2017
OlaoChi:

You were just going on and on without even addressing the post properly. The importance of Oriki is to keep the history of the lineage.. If Ekaledehan is the ancestor of the Obas, An indication should be in the Oriki of the Oba but Lo! no mention of the Run away Prince in the Oba's Oriki neither is there a mention of Imadoduwa or Izoduwa (which are two different names: inconsistency and flaw in your claim) But there is a mention of the name 'oduduwa' , a mention of his name Adimula

Maybe I should Paste bits of the Oba's oriki to prove his lineage

Ovbi' Adimila, Abieyuwa N'Ovbi Odua N'uhe

( not Ovbi Izoduwa or Ekalederan)

Stop blaming Literacy, History is not by literacy but Methods - Methods I said before - Coronation rites, Oriki and Oral tradition.. Ekalederan as Oduduwa fails with this method hence, no World class African Historian takes it seriously, not even foreigners(since you accuse all yoruba historians of bigotry)
The same Europeans gave you audience to talk about Bini, Most of the local narratives indicated a great admiration and awe for Ife.

i have heard more than 2 names for this prince, there is Ikalederan, Ekaladerhan, I wonder why there is no consensus on his name, Bini is not a complicated language, it does not have dialects so I just don't see any honest reason behind the contradiction.

This is not a medium for telling our personal ancestral line, if you recognize Oduduwa as your father, then you will be open minded to origin of this individual and not closed minded, clinging to some claims that fail to follow the Standard of History just because you want to massage your Bini ego, you are taking this as an ethnic war, as if you can stand an ethnic war against the yoruba

The truth is Oduduwa's origin should be best deciphered through the institutions at Ife, because he is Oduduwa of Ife, and If Ife says Oke-ora is his origin, and presents evidence in Coronation rite and long held traditions(backed by shrine sites), that has struck a fatal blow to whatever other claims exist and Historians know this... Nobody takes the Bini claim seriously in the Field of History

Regarding ethnic war, I have no problem with that. My SW people can huff & puff & swear a lot while claiming to be " a very respectful lot". I'm used to that already.

The truth ultimately triumphs. Alake of Abeokuta came up with a reckless talk of hierarchy of Kings a while back and he was roundly rebuffed by Benin people. When a previous Alake overstepped his mark in Western House of Assembly, Ibadan, on January 7th 1952 with:

On my right sits the Oni of Ife;
On my left, the Leader of our Government,
Obafemi Awolowo.
The Voice of the West is complete.

Oba Akenzua walked out and Mid-West Region followed 11 years later. So no be today.
We do not just sit there & let people talk recklessly. Not even if they have the population of China!

Benin never shied away from war proper let alone ethnic chest beating. Cowardice is not one of Benin traits.

Blaming illiteracy is not the issue. Fact you cannot deny is that the person who begins to write things down first is the most likely to disseminate their own version.

That is why ancient writers like Homer, Euripides, Plato, Euclid, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Aristotle, Hippocrates, Archimedes, Strabo, Plutarch, Tacitus, Pliny The Elder/Younger and others had such massive influence on the way the world was perceived philosophically, geographically, religiously, socially, scientifically and more for nearly 2000 years. Not because they were the only brilliant people or had the most correct versions.

Versions that were not written down mostly died within the locality they were initially known in. Even plays by Shakespeare have had a lasting effect on how English society, royalty and more are still perceived till now.

So do not underplay that advantage of early education.

Now, my ancestry gives me a personal stake in this history/story, so I will proudly & vehemently defend what I believe is the truth. And I have done so for years. Both here online & in real life.
You have just resorted to pettiness.

Question: Because people use various versions like Oodua, O'odua, Ododuwa, Oduduwa, does it make the person fake or fictitious? Or Oranyan/ Oranmiyan suddenly make that man fictitious? grin cheesy

I would have taken the Oke-Ora version seriously if it wasn't just a later one of many versions. Another one may come up yet. grin

You need not remind me of the oriki, since it is basically what I heard daily in the morning growing up. Sorry you hate hearing personal links with it. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Oriki is not strictly necessarily constant. It is more or less poetry. It depends on the erudition, skills & knowledge of the person calling it. Can you say boldly that you know the full oriki of the Oba? Even I do not know my full oriki that derives from same Odua/Oranmiyan/Eweka I as the Oba's. Hardly any two versions I heard from different elderly women were same. Copying & pasting bits from online is nothing really. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 4:43pm On Jan 21, 2017
Can any yoruba explain how oduduwa skydived to earth and when he landed in eastern arab he treaked to ile ife tell me how he didnt die and as a god which go is he devils son or something else
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 4:44pm On Jan 21, 2017
Can any yoruba explain how oduduwa skydived to earth and when he landed in eastern arab he treaked to ile ife tell me how he didnt die and as a god which go is he devils son or something else hmm
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by OlaoChi: 2:50pm On Jan 22, 2017
AreaFada2:

Regarding ethnic war, I have no problem with that. My SW people can huff & puff & swear a lot while claiming to be " a very respectful lot". I'm used to that already.

The truth ultimately triumphs. Alake of Abeokuta came up with a reckless talk of hierarchy of Kings a while back and he was roundly rebuffed by Benin people. When a previous Alake overstepped his mark in Western House of Assembly, Ibadan, on January 7th 1952 with:

Obafemi Awolowo.

Oba Akenzua walked out and Mid-West Region followed 11 years later. So no be today.
We do not just sit there & let people talk recklessly. Not even if they have the population of China!

Benin never shied away from war proper let alone ethnic chest beating. Cowardice is not one of Benin traits.

Blaming illiteracy is not the issue. Fact you cannot deny is that the person who begins to write things down first is the most likely to disseminate their own version. That is why ancient writers like Homer, Euripides, Plato, Euclid, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Aristotle, Hippocrates, Archimedes, Strabo, Plutarch, Tacitus, Pliny The Elder/Younger and others had such massive influence on the way the world was perceived philosophically, geographically, religiously, socially, scientifically and more for nearly 2000 years. Not because they were the only brilliant people or had the most correct versions. Versions that were not written down mostly died within the locality they were initially known in. Even plays by Shakespeare have had a lasting effect on how English society, royalty and more are still perceived till now.

Now, my ancestry gives me a personal stake in this history/story, so I will proudly & vehemently defend what I believe is the truth. And I have done so for years. Both here online & in real life.
Question: Because people use various versions like Oodua, O'odua, Ododuwa, Oduduwa, does it make the person fake or fictitious? Or Oranyan/ Oranmiyan suddenly make that man fictitious? grin cheesy

I would have taken the Oke-Ora version seriously if it wasn't just a later one of many versions. Another one may come up yet. grin

You need not remind me of the oriki, since it is basically what I heard daily in the morning growing up. Sorry you hate hearing personal links with it. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Oriki is not strictly necessarily constant. It is more or less poetry. It depends on the erudition, skills & knowledge of the person calling it. Can you say boldly that you know the full oriki of the Oba? Even I do not know my full oriki that derives from same Odua/Oranmiyan/Eweka I as the Oba's. Hardly any two versions I heard from different elderly women were same. Copying & pasting bits from online is nothing really. cheesy

You still do not address the post. To make it easiest i will put it in 3 short points

1. Where is the evidence of Ekalederan(or whatever his name really is) in Coronation rites of the Oba and/or Oriki of the Oba
2. No shrine or festival dedicated to the ancestors of the Oba refer to ekalederan, but there is the Oduduwa festival. address this
3. No early narrative of Bini kingdom mentions ekalederan, even European records of the kingdom talk about Ewuare, Esigie, even the Oghene(Ooni) of Ife and indications of his admiration in Bini

it is either you can address these points or can't

PS. oodua, is a contraction of Oduduwa, so is Oranyan (only in Oyo, no one says Oranyan in Ife)
Imadoduwa and Izoduwa are two different names with two different meanings. Ikaledehan, Ekaladeran etc this case here is just lack of consensus on the actual name not dialectical variants or contraction of a single name...thibgs like this usually happen with lies
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by lionofafrica: 3:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by lionofafrica: 3:11pm On Jan 24, 2017
It is not a must you must comment on anything you see on social media especially what you don't have idea about. All the allegations laid against Isekhure were false and the BTC are afraid to speak out on the reason he was suspended. If you don't know let me enlighten you the reasons, He was suspended because he urge the Benin People to vote for Former President Goodluck Jonathan during the 2015 election. His suspension is political and not all the allege accusation against him
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 3:54pm On Jan 17, 2021
AreaFada2:

Obafemi Awolowo.

Blaming illiteracy is not the issue. Fact you cannot deny is that the person who begins to write things down first is the most likely to disseminate their own version.

That is why ancient writers like Homer, Euripides, Plato, Euclid, Aristophanes, Sophocles, Aristotle, Hippocrates, Archimedes, Strabo, Plutarch, Tacitus, Pliny The Elder/Younger and others had such massive influence on the way the world was perceived philosophically, geographically, religiously, socially, scientifically and more for nearly 2000 years. Not because they were the only brilliant people or had the most correct versions.

Versions that were not written down mostly died within the locality they were initially known in. Even plays by Shakespeare have had a lasting effect on how English society, royalty and more are still perceived till now.

Interesting.
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 3:56pm On Jan 17, 2021
gregyboy:
Can any yoruba explain how oduduwa skydived to earth and when he landed in eastern arab he treaked to ile ife tell me how he didnt die and as a god which go is he devils son or something else hmm
Na parachute regiment member. grin cheesy
Re: Oba Of Benin Suspends Chief Priest by samuk: 9:52am On Jan 19, 2021
OlaoChi:

You still do not address the post. To make it easiest i will put it in 3 short points

1. Where is the evidence of Ekalederan(or whatever his name really is) in Coronation rites of the Oba and/or Oriki of the Oba
2. No shrine or festival dedicated to the ancestors of the Oba refer to ekalederan, but there is the Oduduwa festival. address this
3. No early narrative of Bini kingdom mentions ekalederan, even European records of the kingdom talk about Ewuare, Esigie, even the Oghene(Ooni) of Ife and indications of his admiration in Bini

it is either you can address these points or can't

PS. oodua, is a contraction of Oduduwa, so is Oranyan (only in Oyo, no one says Oranyan in Ife)
Imadoduwa and Izoduwa are two different names with two different meanings. Ikaledehan, Ekaladeran etc this case here is just lack of consensus on the actual name not dialectical variants or contraction of a single name...thibgs like this usually happen with lies

It's funny how you tried to discredit the Benin version of Ekaladerhan/Oduduwa story but conveniently forgot/silent on the fact that all Yoruba or Yoruba history don't all agree on a common origin of Oduduwa. Like you have raised three questions above, the below questions are also for you to answer:

1. Was Oduduwa a historical figure or myth.

2. Did he climbed down with chains from heaven as claimed by the past Ooni?

3. The present Ooni claimed that the Oonis become the Egyptian God Osiris when they die, so what is the link between Oduduwa and Egypt

4. Is it true that Oduduwa was from Saudi Arabia?

5. What is the real origin of Oduduwa.

Stories likes this with various versions are usually associated with lies.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prominent Nigerian Traditional Rulers In Beautiful Royal Attires ( Pictures) / Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Igbos come show your proverbs skills - (Part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.