Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,523 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

My car Fuel Consumption Is High. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My car Fuel Consumption Is High. (1405 Views)

5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump / Car Fuel Saver, How Does It Work?? / Ways To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 9:30am On Jan 19, 2017
I recently bought a tokunbo 2009 Rav4. I have observed the fuel consumption to be on the very high side.
For example it requires 20litres of fuel to Lagos Island from Magodo and come back without air conditioning.
Its an I4 engine no check engine light is on I scanned it but didn't throw any codes

Pls is 20ltres of fuel for such distance not too much?
Please what can I do.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by kingreign(m): 9:33am On Jan 19, 2017
jarkbauer:
I recently bought a tokunbo 2009 Rav4. I have observed the fuel consumption to be on the very high side.
For example it requires 20litres of fuel to Lagos Island from Magodo and come back without air conditioning.
Its an I4 engine no check engine light is on I scanned it but didn't throw any codes

Please what can I do.

Prof Gazzuzz to the rescue. Give him the car to lay his hands upon.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:00am On Jan 19, 2017
What is the distance you cover the entire journey.?
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 4:33pm On Jan 19, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
What is the distance you cover the entire journey.?

About 40 miles
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:51pm On Jan 19, 2017
jarkbauer:

About 40 miles

Traffic conditions?
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 5:35pm On Jan 19, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Traffic conditions?

Moderate traffic

My calculations is this

20 litres = 5.28 gallon.

40 miles /5.28
= 7.6 mpg

Isn't that low?
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:09pm On Jan 19, 2017
jarkbauer:

Moderate traffic

My calculations is this

20 litres = 5.28 gallon.

40 miles /5.28
= 7.6 mpg

Isn't that low?

Very low. You should do a proper tune up.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 6:15pm On Jan 19, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Very low. You should do a proper tune up.

Tune up what's that?
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by stephcruse(m): 10:52pm On Jan 19, 2017
Since you have a check light on, you seriously needed to scan that car ,you said you scan it you didn't get any fault please take it a qualified technician .
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 11:03am On Jan 20, 2017
stephcruse:
Since you have a check light on, you seriously needed to scan that car ,you said you scan it you didn't get any fault please take it a qualified technician .

Theres is no check engine light on.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by kingreign(m): 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
stephcruse:
You need not rely on presence of CEL before scanning and pin pointing at the faults. A live data scan is more than important here
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by stephcruse(m): 8:54pm On Jan 20, 2017
Sorry, you still need a qualified technician to inspect that car I mean a proper diagnosis.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by sultaan(m): 5:45pm On Jan 21, 2017
Do you have average fuel economy on your dash board

or recalculate by reseting your trip meter when fuel gage reaches middle and adding20 litres and see how far you go before needle reahes half again
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by amedualiyu(m): 12:48am On Jan 22, 2017
20 liters from Magodo to island to and fro without AC is over high. I use 15 liters frm ikorodu to lekki to and fro with traffic and am still complaining. Am currently working on mine and I will get back to you if fine.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by Lexusgs430: 1:28am On Jan 22, 2017
jarkbauer:

Please what can I do.

If the consumption from the moment you bought it was this high, it could be safe to assume that's why the previous owner sold it.
It needs an operating table to diagnose the culprits.......
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 7:24am On Jan 22, 2017
Lexusgs430:

If the consumption from the moment you bought it was this high, it could be safe to assume that's why the previous owner sold it.
It needs an operating table to diagnose the culprits.......

i had it scanned no codes came up
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by kingreign(m): 7:39am On Jan 22, 2017
jarkbauer:

kingreign:

You need not rely on presence of CEL before scanning and pin pointing at the faults. A live data scan is more than important here

I've made this suggestion before. In addition to this, check your tyre pressure on all 4, and also check your brake if they're binding.
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by honmusa(m): 7:50am On Jan 22, 2017
jarkbauer:

Not all issues the obd2 management is sensitive enough to flag as DTC ,patronise a professional that is good with live data analyses .
call autologic @08061166316 ,office is @ charlie boy bus stop ,Gbagada expressway .
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by Lexusgs430: 8:04am On Jan 22, 2017
jarkbauer:

It needs an automotive surgeon..... Live streaming calling..... Oya pick the call.......
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 9:03am On Jan 22, 2017
honmusa:

Not all issues the obd2 management is sensitive enough to flag as DTC ,patronise a professional that is good with live data analyses .
call autologic @08061166316 ,office is @ charlie boy bus stop ,Gbagada expressway .

i will not call you. you direct all problems to your shop. thats not how to market expertise. i will call someone whom i had to look up his profile to see his number.

2 Likes

Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by honmusa(m): 1:36pm On Jan 22, 2017
jarkbauer:

i will not call you. you direct all problems to your shop. thats not how to market expertise. i will call someone whom i had to look up his profile to see his number.
Suit yourself !!!!
Re: My car Fuel Consumption Is High. by jarkbauer: 3:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
honmusa:

Suit yourself !!!!

see 'painment'

(1) (Reply)

Flashback On The Popular Molue Buses By Autoxpat / Clean Toyota Corolla Sport. Distress Sale In Abuja / Toyota Avalon For SALE ( LAGOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.